clock radio with bad caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clock radio with bad caps?

I have a clock radio in my room that is supposed to go off everyday at 5:35am for school. If I haven't set it for a long time, such as over the weekend, it won't go off. Sometimes I will wake up at about 5:30, and wait for it to go off, but i'll look at it and it says 5:36, and it still hasen't gone off. Could this be caused by bad caps? Or maybe just bad programming?

Re: clock radio with bad caps?

Is it battery or AC powered? In the first case I'd check battery voltage: maybe lower or higher than usual voltage may do tricks. I don't think caps can prevent the buzz to go off, it should be caused by bad programming.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

might as well open it up and take a look

damn clock radios are everywhere and so difficult to find here just a plain old Casio DQ-541 digital clock. one of those AND the mobile is ok for me....

5:35am.....daaaamn
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

With these clocks of low quality like this if it is not made by brand (not relabeled), is crap. I had a clock that did this too, intermittently didn't set off even it was set (when set, a LED is lit!).

I took a Sony clock and used chip datasheet to add relay to it for bed vibrator brick (I'm deaf). Much nicer make internally. It hasn't dropped an alarm yet.

Anyway, you could make a clock yourself.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

It runs on a/c, but has a 9v in case power goes out, it dosen't light up the led's, but keeps the time and alarm.

Its a Trutech.

Samcon and R.M caps. none look bad. Microprocessor in there is extremely hot to the touch.

Comment

i have several clock radio's i had to recap.
            they will still wake you up with bad caps but quite annoying.
            till the caps short and the 35w4/35z5 goes poof!

Comment

better a clock radio that's not going off (zZz) than a clock radio that won't turn off

happened to me. cheap noname thingy.. worked fine for years...

one day it went off and i hit the snooze button.. nothing happened.. i was like "WTF?!"
              nothing worked... buzzing all the f*cking time..
              took me at least 5 minutes to figure out where the f*ckin cable was going to unplug it

and worst of all..:
              it was saturday!!! no need to wake up at 5am for school (happened almost 9yrs ago...) WTF

Comment

Wow, you need to wake up at 5:35AM for school?

Just get a new clock radio. They aren't so expensive, even for decent brands such as Sony.
                My gaming PC:
                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I agree with Newbie2, chuck it out and get a new one. Probably replacing the caps or components inside it would cost more than the clock itself.

And seriously 5.35AM for school?.... that's really early.
                  I get up at 8AM for school (With the help of my mother screaming at me to get me up).

Sometimes I get up at 6.50AM on the days that I need to get to school early to do extension mathematics.
                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

fuck getting up at 05:00. i got up then yesterday for job. came home at 15:00, slept til 19:00. Couldnt get to sleep in the night. now i feel like shit.

still if i could work 08:00-15:00 every day that would be excellent
                    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i guess most everyone here are youngsters.
                      any old farts would remember what i posted.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        i have several clock radio's i had to recap.
                        they will still wake you up with bad caps but quite annoying.
                        till the caps short and the 35w4/35z5 goes poof!
                        He he I'm not that old. I have seen a few old tube alarm clocks though.

I did recap a few old tube radios back in 2006 for curiosity more than anything. Man those rectifier tubes get HOT! All of the radios I recapped had special venting holes directly behind them in the masonite to vent them.

One of them was a transformer type and the others were line powered AC / DC types.

I got a Grundig 2028 in non-working condition (with a frayed power cord) off E-bay for 30 bucks. I replaced the cord with a polarized one and recapped it.

The radio worked great and just a year and a half later (to clean it out of my closet) I sold it recapped for 140 I was shocked.

The veneer on the case was cracked too I didn't touch it since I don't do cabinet work.

I thought that I would lose my shirt on this but I guess I got lucky.

Ok back on topic Trutech I think I've seen that brand at Target and possibly K-Mart it's cheap Chinese crap from their TVs to their DVD players they are pretty sub-standard products.
                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 09-04-2008, 03:38 PM.
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

yup, picked up a sony alarm clock at a garage sale for 5 bucks, excellent (for a clock radio,) sound quality, ALWAYS GOES OFF.

Thinking about getting a alarm clock program on my computer to utilize the 2 135W pioneer speakers, and the 500W subwoofer. Can't find one though.

Comment

I remember a few years back when my alarm clock wouldn't wake me up anymore if I was really tired.

So I put a data disc in an old cd player and turned the volume up full blast and told it to play when I needed to wake up.

I purposely placed it far out of my reach. Anyone who has ever tried a data disc in a cd player knows what I'm talking about.

Worked every time .

Unfortunately many new cd players mute the output if you attempt to play a data disc .
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                              Unfortunately many new cd players mute the output if you attempt to play a data disc .
                              old (& cheap) CD-Players with Sanyo Lasers don't mute the signal

especially those with a Sanyo SF-90 Laser..

(the laser in those pics doesn't seem to be original, because the original one had 2 connectors instead of directly soldered wires)

http://www.ersatzteil.justone-schnep...-58_sanyo.html

Comment

oh i forgot.. 370forlife ... check your PMs on that alarm clock software thingy

Comment

The newer Asus motherboards have this thing called "Asus Music Alarm" and that also acts as an alarm clock but on your PC.
                                  Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                  X