X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    well that wont be helpful in making it last as bumpgated chipsets have to be kept below 60°C if u want them to last. just have to use it for basic office work and basic web surfing. no video watching for the novideo chipset! hahaha!
    Depends at what level I keep the laptop. It also reaches that temp because of the battery Acer decided to put - who thought a regular 4400mAh battery would be enough for a 17" screen, a Turion 64 X2 TL-60, 4GB of RAM and 2 HDDs.

Anyways, so far it seems that's the normal operating temperature of the nForce 610M. I always keep eye on the temps, though it hasn't shown any signs of going bad again over the span of this week. I really need to find a more potent battery (at least 4800mAh) and also look in finding a board that has a MXM slot (the current one doesn't have one soldered in, it's just the pads.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Fixed the other one that had a MXM slot too! Apparently both the 8600M GT I have (Aspire 6530 and 5520) are dead. It does work fine with a Radeon Mobility X1400 128MB, although the VGA BIOS version string displays garbled text and is detected as a 0MB card in BIOS, but that's because it came from a Advent laptop.

The only thing left to fix is the WiFi card, which for some reason doesn't get detected.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

TCL 65S401 televison with cracked LCD. Trying to find replacement panel. Will part out if no replacement panel is available.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

given a LG 37" TV and some dell vostro desktop PC. I don't know anything else about them yet.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

100' HDE15 M-M. I'm curious how well it works! (then I'll see if I can imagine a use for it)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              ...and some dell vostro desktop PC.
              It's a vostro 220. PSU needed recapped, working now. Has a C2Q 2.6GHz + 2gb RAM + 250gb HDD.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Scored these freebies:

Epox EP-8RDA3I w/ Athlon XP 1700
                HP original charger for NX7300
                Gigabyte 8400GS 512MB
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

I bought a SONY Trinitron KV-1981R 19 inch TV, it was built May 1985 in Sony's San Diego plant. It has stereo speakers and composite video which is fairly rare on a 1985 set. My uncle picked it up for me so I brought my Nintendo with me to my grandmas and played a nice 18 hole of Nintendo golf with the fam for thanksgiving.
                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

given a LG 37" TV and some dell vostro desktop PC. I don't know anything else about them yet.
                    Computer is done & working. Latest BIOS on it and reloaded. Not going to upgrade it unless I find something laying around....I'll just re-home it as it is, clean install of Win7.

The TV was as expected...bad caps in the PSU....

Recapped.

First testing....

The culprits....

...and done!

Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Computer is done & working. Latest BIOS on it and reloaded. Not going to upgrade it unless I find something laying around....I'll just re-home it as it is, clean install of Win7.

Recapped.

First testing....

The culprits....

...and done!

Nice Restore! what brand were the badcaps? I blew the picture up but still couldn't tell. TV seems to have nice contrast and doesn't look washed out.
                      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                        Nice Restore! what brand were the badcaps? I blew the picture up but still couldn't tell. TV seems to have nice contrast and doesn't look washed out.
                        looks like samwha but i could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by alandicade View Post
                          I believe you are correct. I'll have to dig one out of the garbage to be sure, but I think they are.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

It's a vostro 220. Has a C2Q 2.6GHz.
                            wow speak of the devil! that should be a q6700! u could now try that in the dell gx745 polymer eternal life pc in that other thread and see if it works there!

just wow topcat! didnt expect divine intervention to help u that quickly to drop a q6700 at your door just when u needed one for free! i guess it must be due to all your good deeds saving trash picked computers. karma's NOT a bitch for you for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                              wow speak of the devil! that should be a q6700! u could now try that in the dell gx745 polymer eternal life pc in that other thread and see if it works there!

just wow topcat! didnt expect divine intervention to help u that quickly to drop a q6700 at your door just when u needed one for free! i guess it must be due to all your good deeds saving trash picked computers. karma's NOT a bitch for you for sure!
                              I thought the same thing at quick glance at the POST screen.....but when I looked, it turned out to be an e7300; 2.66/1066fsb C2D....darnit!
                              Originally posted by alandicade View Post
                              I put one under the magnifier (the print is small), and they are indeed Samwha.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

My workplace was doing some warehouse cleaning, so I managed to save some computer stuff this and last week.

- 2x 128 GB SSDs.
                                Got these from a shipment from another warehouse of ours that didn't bother to inventory everything they sent us. So these were tossed in a box destined for "junk/scrap". Since we don't have any equipment that uses these anymore... finder's keepers!

- 2x Pentium 3 800/256/100/1.75 socket 370 CPUs
                                Found these in a pile of dust when cleaning some of the workbenches. Anything we found on that bench got tossed for scrap, so I saved these (and also a slew of other cables, wires, connectors, and misc. hardware that I'm not even going to bother listing.) What's cool about these two CPUs is supposedly they can overclock to 1.13 GHz by just upping the FSP to 133 MHz (as they are 100 MHz CPUs with 8.5x multiplier) and no need to bump up the voltage. We will see about that, though. I don't have a P3 motherboard here that has OC capabilities, so it might be a while before I try this. Only the P3 Gigabyte mobo at my uncle's house overseas can OC stuff.

- 3x 60x60x08 mm 12V PC fans (3-pin.)
                                Should come in handy for my GPU heatsink mods.

- a bunch of open-frame PSUs. Various voltages and power ratings. All from quality brands and all have good quality Japanese caps in them. Definitely not the cheap eBay knock-offs with garbage caps.

And now for some stuff I could NOT save:
                                - 8x sealed car-sized (not sure what model/size exactly, though) 12V Lead-Acid batteries from decommissioned UPSes we had. Most of these were from 2014-2015 and most if not all should have held a good charge. Unfortunately, the scrap place where we bring these gives a receipt of what was recycled, so I couldn't just hand cash to our manager and take them. Sad, because the scrap place only paid us about $10 per battery, and most of these were likely in decent condition. Could have made a nice "portable" welder with 3-4 of these in parallel.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                Update on the Acers:

- the 7220 was actually a 7520 as well.

Anyways - as I said, a reflow on the non-MXM 7520 brought it back to life. I can see why it died though - fan was dusty as hell, heatsinks had literal gray crust, which in turn made the chipset go bad.

Reflowed it at 350*C, replaced the crust with MX2, cleaned the fan thoroughly, and it works fine now. The chipset does run pretty hot, in the 70-80 range, but that's nVidia for you. At least the fan does know when to ramp up and when to settle down.
                                Hate to say it but.... R.I.P.
                                That chipset will be dead again very soon.
                                Once a BGA chip fails, you really have to keep it cool if you want it to last. Usually under 60C to last any reasonable time, and 50C if you want even longer. Above 60C, it won't take long to go bad again. Few months at most (with moderate use), if lucky.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                Finally, some specs on the working 7520:

17" WXGA 1440x900 LCD panel (it's BIG in comparision to anything else I have)
                                AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57 1.9GHz
                                2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM
                                Geforce 7000M/nF610M iGPU w/256MB shared
                                320GB WD Scorpio Blue + 80GB Fujitsu
                                Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (on 80GB Fujitsu)
                                Not bad at all.
                                Machine like that is still viable today for online use and work, despite being quite outdated. Maybe it won't do 1080p YouTube smoothly or without running hot, but who cares. To me, 720p is decent enough. Besides, it's not like 1080p will make much of a difference on that screen resolution.

Wish I had that kind of luck.

All of the TVs I've found so far did not have bad caps issues - especially those Samsungs. On two of them, I get 2-sec-to-black backlights. And on a Visio, I get some vertical lines, possibly because it was left in the rain, which ruined the LCD bond tabs. Got an LG monitor like that too. Oh, and I also got from work a monstrous 21.5", 4:3, 1600x1200 resolution LCD monitor (Samsung 213T, I think?) But they way someone threw it in our dumpster made it land screen down... so the screen is busted. WHAT A SHAME!
                                Last edited by momaka; 12-03-2019, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Six WD Black 1T 3.5" drives, three WD black 500G 2.5" drives and ~10 pounds of RAM (I didn't have time to dig through it so just took it home to sort; prolly too new for the machine I'm looking to "enhance").

And a pair of 32GB uSD cards.

Comment

I thought the same thing at quick glance at the POST screen.....but when I looked, it turned out to be an e7300; 2.66/1066fsb C2D....darnit!
                                    But, at least, it's a Wolfdale! (IIRC) (45nm lithography) 45nm Core 2s aren't the power hog that 65nm Core 2 Quads were!

Don't like that Wolfdale? Then try to get at least an E8400, but if possible, get an E8600 in there! And that's if you can't or don't pop a Yorkie in there! (Yorkfield, which are the 45nm Core 2 Quads)
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-03-2019, 09:13 PM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Oh, and I also got from work a monstrous 21.5", 4:3, 1600x1200 resolution LCD monitor (Samsung 213T, I think?) But they way someone threw it in our dumpster made it land screen down... so the screen is busted. WHAT A SHAME!
                                      That is a rotten shame. 4:3 LCD's in that size & resolution are RARE! Whoever did that deserves a fist to the nose for that.
                                      Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                      But, at least, it's a Wolfdale! (IIRC) (45nm lithography) 45nm Core 2s aren't the power hog that 65nm Core 2 Quads were!

Don't like that Wolfdale? Then try to get at least an E8400, but if possible, get an E8600 in there! And that's if you can't or don't pop a Yorkie in there! (Yorkfield, which are the 45nm Core 2 Quads)
                                      I've always been a fan of yorkfield/harpertowns; 45nm and 12m L2. I think I've got another q9650 lingering around here, not sure I'd waste it on this system though.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I think I've got another q9650 lingering around here, not sure I'd waste it on this system though.
                                        Bingo! (At least for the fact that you have a Q9650)
                                        Back in 2016, I think I got a Q9450 or something like that and even for that one, based what I saw for test reports, it would embarrass an OC'ed Q6600, especially the batch of Q6600 that I received!
                                        My Q6600 OTOH, was apparently pathetic, even for 65nm!

And it's not the first time I had bad luck with 65nm Intel, my E2180 M0 (Conroe) (65nm) acts more like it's a 90nm chip, even a meh 2.9 Ghz being a major challenge! And 3.0 Ghz apparently making it degrade before my eyes, despite that should have been for the majority, a walk in the park! Prime95 caught it flunking at 3.0 Ghz, IIRC, at 5 hours, which is actually an odd time for Prime95 to fail, as Prime95, in my experience, usually would fail at 1 hour or 2 hours, if I got a duddy chip!

I dunno why Prime95 even took that long for it to error out with air con air on it. Usually, if it acts odd, it means a heat issue, in my experience. (Like Prime95 once failing at 23 hours with my 2003 Barton 3000+ AQZFA, LOL. (I think that was in 2007 or 2006) That was clearly an overheat, because the sun was coming in the window.)

It was very odd, at 3.0 Ghz, because I ran Prime95 and then for no good reason, it failed in a shorter time, I saw it randomly fail at only 1 hour or similar! And it also did the same dang kind of thing at 2.92 Ghz, WTF!
                                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                          Hate to say it but.... R.I.P.
                                          That chipset will be dead again very soon.
                                          Once a BGA chip fails, you really have to keep it cool if you want it to last. Usually under 60C to last any reasonable time, and 50C if you want even longer. Above 60C, it won't take long to go bad again. Few months at most (with moderate use), if lucky.

Not bad at all.
                                          Machine like that is still viable today for online use and work, despite being quite outdated. Maybe it won't do 1080p YouTube smoothly or without running hot, but who cares. To me, 720p is decent enough. Besides, it's not like 1080p will make much of a difference on that screen resolution.
                                          Rarely it hovers over 60. It usually hovers in the 56-57 range, and the MB around 50. Youtube though, it goes berserk - I recorded temps in the 70 range.

Much better than a Packard Bell that had a 8400M GS. If you think that my Acer would have a short lifespan with the 610M, that Packard Bell trash of a laptop (in every aspect) was getting hot from just turning on.

It has been reflowed at least 100 times (I'm not even joking at this point, my friend literally told me the teacher that owned this laptop invested $162 for reflows AND a reball - YIKES!) without success, has had it's motherboard replaced once (and that one reflowed 100 times too, but with a weaker heatgun station), until I went literal ballistic mode, took a bigger heatgun (the automotive type of heatguns that I generally use) and set it to 400*C, and it came to life and worked as it should.

Problem is, since Packard Bell cheaped out and made a worse-than-gutless heatsink, I have no idea how much will the reflow on the 8400M GS last. G86 core, and the model of the lappy is MB65-P-030.
                                          Main rig:
                                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                          16GB DDR3-1600
                                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                                          X