Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 not reading discs

Howdy everyone.

I have a PS3 CECHG03 which has troubles reading discs.
    It also used to get stuck on black screen while trying to connect to/install playstore, which I fixed by replacing the HDD.
    I have reflashed the firmware from USB, but that did not fix the disc problem.
    I tried the console with another two drives ( from ylod-ed consoles, so do not really know if the drives are fine, but the hell are the odds all drives to be dead??? ) but again no joy.
    When a disc is inserted, the blue light ( next to the power light ) flashes and then goes to solid blue, so I guess at least the motherboard knows there is a disc present in the drive.
    The closest thing to a working drive is getting the tracklist of an audio CD (with two of the drives ). It lists the tracks with their times, but doesn't play them ( after some time shows an error message - "bad data" or smthng ).
    Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Oh, I also switched the PSU because the original one was lil' bit noisy ( audible noisy, have not checked it on the scope though ).

Re: PS3 not reading discs

Here is a SM, page 18 is the connector on the MB
    Attached Files

Comment

you cant swap the drives, only the mechanicals.
      the drive boards have a serial that the console is locked to.

did you clean the laser?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        you cant swap the drives, only the mechanicals.
        the drive boards have a serial that the console is locked to.

did you clean the laser?
        Thanks for the reply, just came to update with the same conclusion .

I've read previously that PS4 drives were "married" with the mainboards, tried searching about PS3, did not find anything so I thought PS3 was not affected...

I run the original drive without the case and noticed it was not spinning the disc. Installed its board to one of the other drive mechanics and voila - works like a champ.

So the initial problem was caused by faulty mechanics and simple drive switch does not work, but only adds more false symptoms.

Comment

well the fat ps3's had a common problem,
          the laser sled did not like shocks - if you knocked the consol over or hit it really hard the laser had to be replaced.
          i suspect optics, either a lense or mirror breaking loose.

i dont know if newer drives have the same issue.

Comment

here is my run in with my PS3 not accepting DVD's anymore. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62405
            Maybe it helps...

Comment

Originally posted by madan1 View Post
              Thanks for the reply, just came to update with the same conclusion .

I've read previously that PS4 drives were "married" with the mainboards, tried searching about PS3, did not find anything so I thought PS3 was not affected...

I run the original drive without the case and noticed it was not spinning the disc. Installed its board to one of the other drive mechanics and voila - works like a champ.

So the initial problem was caused by faulty mechanics and simple drive switch does not work, but only adds more false symptoms.
              Do yourself and your vision a huge favor and don't treat lasers lightly, I would never recommend powering on a blu ray drive wtihout its case unless you were wearing frequency-deleting eyeware designed around that laser.

It's unlikely to blind yourself with a reflection from something as low powered, but you can never be too careful.

Comment

there was a disc obstructing the beam.

Comment

Working...
                X