Fat PS3 no display/crashing with no YLOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fat PS3 no display/crashing with no YLOD

I have an 80gig fat which years ago I overheated while folding for the Badcaps team. Initially it still ran great albeit with artifacting and speckling in PS3 games however it eventually got worse and on things like soft resets for updates and resolution switching the internal video would drop and I would have to connect with my PSP to continue whatever I was doing. Later it would just graphically lock once it got warm and now after about 15 seconds or so of warming up it just locks solid. Normally I would write it off as a fried video chip but it's never thrown a YLOD, so I can't tell if it's just BGA separation which should mean all it needs is a reball.

Fast forward and now I have an earlier 60gig fat with the hardware PS2 emulation but I want to see if I can recover all my game saves off the 80 gig, which are encrypted, so I can't just swap the drive.

Local PS3 reballing has not been a thing for years now so if I wanted to take a shot at bringing the console back I would have to ship it away for rework. Given how it failed would a reball be successful?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Fat PS3 no display/crashing with no YLOD

did you de-cap and re-paste the chips?
    most ylods are actually down to ceramic "tokin" caps btw

Comment

Re: Fat PS3 no display/crashing with no YLOD

I have not done a repaste yet. I only went far enough in to dust the machine out.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
      X