This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

aye, they screwed up the pricing again. just like the green drive pricing fiasco back in 2008-2010. the green drives were more expensive than the 7200rpm ones negating any energy cost savings from running them.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      - CASE: cheap. Enough said. (Deer)
      (
      I felt the need to quote you because...well the pictures say it all.

What's inside it:

-JNC LC-B300ATX w/ PFC
      -Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000
      -Pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood
      -40GB Maxtor 6E040L0
      -1GB RAM
      -PixelView FX5500 128MB
      -Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM + ASUS CD-RW drive (too lazy to check the model)
      -RTL8139 NIC
      -Longhorn Build 4074 (Vista Beta)

Now,the pics. I guess you know who made this case,but I'll just leave the model,since it actually popped up on Google.

Strange enough,this was actually a prebuilt system,and the worst one I've seen. It was named "DAVIO Starter" and came with:

-Powerlink (Linkworld is the OEM) LPM2-25 - nice try Powerlink,but you ain't fooling anyone rebranding a 250W PSU as a 400W.
      -PCChips M825G - KM266 Pro. One of the actually good PCChips motherboards.
      -128MB RAM (DDR) - in a funny way the Gigabyte mentioned above came with a 128MB stick as well
      -Sempron 2200+

Out of these,the worst component would be the Powerlink PSU. Half a PCB,and it would float away .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dan81; 04-25-2016, 01:44 AM.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Why did I read the PSU name JNC as JUNK??
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          Most JNCs used to be Deer :-))

This one however is pretty well built (30A rectifiers for 3.3 and 5v,20A for 12v). The only quirk it has is that regardless of the system (it holds on 12v and 5v systems fine) it pushes out hot air. I'm not sure if that's because of the PFC coil blocking some of the airflow or if because of the minimum load resistors.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
            I felt the need to quote you because...well the pictures say it all.
            Oh Deer!!!!

Speaking of which, did that one come with a ton of plastic push-pins for the motherboard instead of proper screws? I know mine did. Talk about cheap . I see your has the same crappy rear fan "grilles". Lol, those things look like they'd probably block 90% of the air from any fan .

You got good hardware in it, though .

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
            That's a million dollar question right there!

Comment

It is a Deer! LC-B300ATX!

The same one that wrecked the "adam-puter" back in 2007! Complete with "diodes on a bracket."

Either mod/recap it yesterday, or rip it out and stomp it with your foot, if you care the least about the mobo and those drives.

I'd almost suggest the ubiquitous "kill it with fire" option, but that could have a way of "automatically" happening, if ya know what I mean.

Oh Deer!!!! :
              Til the "Deer" runs everything over, that is.
              Last edited by kaboom; 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

oi, turn the deer into roadkill, i say! run it over with a car or 5-tonner truck!

Comment

Oh Deer!!!!

Speaking of which, did that one come with a ton of plastic push-pins for the motherboard instead of proper screws? I know mine did. Talk about cheap . I see your has the same crappy rear fan "grilles". Lol, those things look like they'd probably block 90% of the air from any fan .

Yeah,it came with a bazillion push pins. Strange thing though,another one that I have,which is built the same (except it's smaller,and was painted black from factory) came stock with proper screws.

As for the rear grilles,I don't really care about them since hardly any machine I build has any fan in there. The only machine I know of having one is my main PC that uses a Delux MG760 case that is supposed to be built out of galvanized steel,considering how solid it is.

kaboom - here's a picture of its insides. The only thing that isn't original to it is the Jamicon fan that came out of a 250W Bestec ATX-250-12Z (which had no use for me) It's my modding target right now,since I plan transplanting most of the stuff (including the PFC,assuming the new board will like it) to another Deer that has a 35 transformer.

The cut heatsink on the secondary is because this unit has PFC. (connector is between the primary caps) And the Teapos in the image are no longer there since yesterday,as I replaced them with 2x Rubycon MBZ 16v1800uF.

Still,I'm wondering why did this case,which is clearly made by Deer,came with a Linkworld PSU...?
                  Last edited by Dan81; 04-28-2016, 03:46 AM.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                    Til the "Deer" runs everything over, that is.
                    Well, even that wild thing can be "tamed" with a good bit of work.

I find Deer PSUs to be pretty reliable after that. Can't say the same for all other crappy PSU manufacturers, though. Leadman/PowMax and the lower-end Sun Pro units come to mind here, among others. Heck, even some modern, well-built APFC PSUs tend to fail more than those Deer PSUs.

The only thing that isn't original to it is the Jamicon fan that came out of a 250W Bestec ATX-250-12Z (which had no use for me)
                    Wait, you have no use for a Bestec PSU, but you intend to fix more of these Deer PSUs with its parts?! Why on Earth do that?

If it was me, fixing that Bestec would be a priority over any other PSU. Not only is it a more efficient single-transistor forward platform, but it also has all of the proper protections *and* the ATX-250-12Z in particular has a 5VSB PWM-FET IC. No 2-transistor funny business with a critical cap, waiting to fail and kill your hardware if you don't replace it.

Still,I'm wondering why did this case,which is clearly made by Deer,came with a Linkworld PSU...?
                    I'm starting to think the cases with that logo are not made by Deer, but rather some no-name manufacturer that puts whatever garbage PSU is cheapest at the moment. The low-end L&C/Deer probably qualify well for that position. Hence why you see them so often.

Also JNC is not strictly Deer either. Rather, JNC is another company that rebrands crap. The first family computer we had back in the early 2000's had a JNC PSU in it. The model number on that PSU (LC-235ATX) suggested it was an L&C. But the guts were nothing related to L&C/Deer (though they were still equally anemic). Rather, they were of some other off-brand gutless wonder that also often went under names such as "Meico", "Frontier", "M-tec". Look-up those brands here on BCN and you will see.

Comment

Wait, you have no use for a Bestec PSU, but you intend to fix more of these Deer PSUs with its parts?! Why on Earth do that?

If it was me, fixing that Bestec would be a priority over any other PSU. Not only is it a more efficient single-transistor forward platform, but it also has all of the proper protections *and* the ATX-250-12Z in particular has a 5VSB PWM-FET IC. No 2-transistor funny business with a critical cap, waiting to fail and kill your hardware if you don't replace it.
                      That Bestec wasn't even able to power a Pentium 4 without heating up to insanity. This Deer holds up better it seems.

I'm starting to think the cases with that logo are not made by Deer, but rather some no-name manufacturer that puts whatever garbage PSU is cheapest at the moment. The low-end L&C/Deer probably qualify well for that position. Hence why you see them so often.
                      Actually,every case I've seen that have those logos came with Deers. For example,Emperor cases are made by ANS,another Deer subsidiary. I don't know if Premier did that as well,but their PSU line was 100% Deer. Only SH machines and some Davio STARTER came with other PSUs (Davio came with Linkword - as a fact,DAVIO PSUs are Linkworlds most of the time) or Intex (which came from a friend,after the old Deer PSU blew up from a storm).

Also JNC is not strictly Deer either. Rather, JNC is another company that rebrands crap. The first family computer we had back in the early 2000's had a JNC PSU in it. The model number on that PSU (LC-235ATX) suggested it was an L&C. But the guts were nothing related to L&C/Deer (though they were still equally anemic). Rather, they were of some other off-brand gutless wonder that also often went under names such as "Meico", "Frontier", "M-tec". Look-up those brands here on BCN and you will see.
                      Nope,those are some JNC ripoffs. I know that because EVERY pre-2009 JNC is a Deer. They used Deer up until 2009,as their latest ATX-500W model has no sign of Deer numbers (Deers usually have something like JN10XA,but the new JNC have a bunch of numbers,something I've seen on some obscure CWT units). Dunno who's the OEM on those newer ones.
                      Last edited by Dan81; 04-29-2016, 01:10 AM.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

That Bestec wasn't even able to power a Pentium 4 without heating up to insanity.
                        Clearly there is something wrong with it then. The Bestec ATX-250-12x and ATX-300-12x are exactly from the Pentium 4 era, and they are build adequately - way better than the Deer, in fact. I actually have a 250-12Z, and it runs at a pretty normal temperature even with a Pentium 4 Prescott.

Actually,every case I've seen that have those logos came with Deers.
                        That still doesn't prove it, though. Just says that case manufacturer uses Deer PSU. The only true Deer case I have actually has the text "DEER" stamped right on the motherboard tray with huge letters. That case didn't have any of these funky logos. Though I should also note that the PSU was a fairly early Deer model, so maybe they hadn't switched to that logo yet.

Nope,those are some JNC ripoffs. I know that because EVERY pre-2009 JNC is a Deer.
                        The JNC PSU we had was a pre-2009 unit. I think either 2000 or 2001 was the "vintage".
                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=165

Comment

The JNC PSU we had was a pre-2009 unit. I think either 2000 or 2001 was the "vintage".
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=165
                          Yeah,that's not a real 235W JNC. Here's a label shot of one.

The real 235W JNC units have a blue label,and the JNC logo would look like in the first picture,and PCBs inside would have DEER printed in capital letters near the primary caps,like in second picture.

Attached Files
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

not my rig but i came across this listing on ebay of someone selling off an amd athlon 64 era circa 2004-2005 agp gaming rig "core" components. as in no casing, psu, monitor, speakers, kb, mouse etc.
                            Originally posted by dctechnhobbies
                            Hello and welcome to my listing! A few years back I made it a mission of mine to build the fastest AMD AGP system I could, and let me tell you, this thing was(is) a beast. Included are all of the original parts I used for the system. Here's what's included:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Socket 939 Motherboard MS7025VER:1 w/ I/O shield *note that a plastic clip on one side of the tray snapped off (prior build), so in the last photo is the engineering I did to get this fully-functional again*
                            CPU: AMD Opteron 180 2.4GHz Dual-Core CPU
                            Heatsink: Zalman CNPS9500 (or similar)
                            RAM: Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO x4 (2GB total) 400MHz DDR @ 2-2-2-5 timings : This memory is particularly cool because there's green/yellow/red LED's across the top that "fill-up" as the RAM is accessed
                            Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB AGP w/ Zalman VF700 AlCu cooler and RAMsinks
                            Audio: SoundBlaster LIVE! 5.1 PCI
                            HDD: 160GB WesternDigital VelociRaptor 10K RPM SATA Hard Drive
                            man thats a really sweet perfect excellent board if it wasnt for the teapos on it. msi gets a bitch slap from me for ruining such a nice board with el cheapo teapos! but nothing a recap wouldnt fix to get it to last a long time!

what i really like are the corsair ddr400 2-2-2-5 rams. from the speed and timings on it, im guessing it must be the much critically acclaimed winbond bh-5 ram chips on it! those are some really nice rams!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                              not my rig but i came across this listing on ebay of someone selling off an amd athlon 64 era circa 2004-2005 agp gaming rig "core" components. as in no casing, psu, monitor, speakers, kb, mouse etc.

man thats a really sweet perfect excellent board if it wasnt for the teapos on it. msi gets a bitch slap from me for ruining such a nice board with el cheapo teapos! but nothing a recap wouldnt fix to get it to last a long time!

what i really like are the corsair ddr400 2-2-2-5 rams. from the speed and timings on it, im guessing it must be the much critically acclaimed winbond bh-5 ram chips on it! those are some really nice rams!
                              Let me guess,you bought it? That thing is nice. Shame it's filled with Teapos. Any MSI board I got had OSTs on those small 1000uF 6.3v
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

nope i didnt buy it. its still available as of typing this message.

strange u got osts as small filter caps on your msi board(s) cuz i had an msi 875p-neo2 fisr. it had chemicon kze and rubycon zl for small cap filtering but the vrm in and out used ost rlx. what a strange way for the manufacturer to penny pinch by using good japcap caps for less stressful areas and cheap junk for the more critical cpu vrm area...
                                Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 05-18-2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Yeah, lol. It's not AMD but as far as I'm concerned the Xeon Gallatin was the last and best AGP platform. I know AMD's AGP to hypertransport chips for the opteron were junk... I'm sure tht board uses some other chip, but If you're going to run Athlon 64 (x2?), get a PCIe board and be done... if it's not an ASUS it will be that much better. "newest" and "best" aren't always the same, although in the next example, they kinda are.

The fastest AGP card was the HIS Radeon HD 4670, which is what my nicest xeon gallatin has. There was no faster card ever made AFAIK.
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

yes. there arent any good agp boards for s939. i had a nightmare picking the lesser of the two evils when i was building a retro single core athlon 64 win98se gaming rig in 2011. it was either nvidia nforce 2/3 or via k8t800 pro. because it was 2011, i was well aware of all the problems plagueing those chipsets back in the day. i eventually settled for via due to better driver support on win98se.

couldnt go pci-e cuz it wasnt supported on win98. dual cores were also pointless on win98 too. all of the games i had were all single threaded too so it didnt make sense to get a slower dual core. got a faster single core instead.

as for the fastest agp card, personally tho, i would call it a draw between the 3850 and 4670. in "pure speed" mode without AA/AF, the 4670 wins but if u crank up the eye-candy mode with heavy AA/AF, the 3850 wins due to better memory bandwidth and pixel fillrate unless it was a special case where the AA/AF caused the 512mb framebuffer on the 3850 to overflow then the 1gb framebuffer on the 4670 wins.

Comment

That's why I like MSI boards from that era (i.e. socket 462, 754, 939, and 478) - they are well designed all around, except for the caps. Thus, sometimes you get good caps and more often than not, you get Teapo and Chemicon KZG .

But after a recap, they are reliable. I have two in total: an MSI MS-7191 and MSI MS-7184. Both are socket 939 based on the ATI x200 NB and SB400/SB450 SB. The former I got from eBay as "for parts/repair" due to... well, badcaps, of course ! It's been my gaming / secondary PC for the past year. The MS-7184 I got from eBay as well, again as a "parts/repair" package. That one didn't have failed caps, though. Only the VGA connector on the back was damaged and responsible for the "no video" symptoms described in the auction. I managed to fix that, but I still haven't gotten around to recapping it, though. It's got cheapo Teapo for the small caps just like the MS-7191. Too bad both of these came from OEM PCs (such as Acer, eMachines, HP, etc.), because their BIOS options are very limited in terms of overclocking.

When I get around to it, I will post pictures of the current setup in my room and specs of each rig. Beware that when I do that, you clocks my stop and your calendars might go back to as early as 2001!

Comment

That's why I like MSI boards from that era (i.e. socket 462, 754, 939, and 478) - they are well designed all around, except for the caps. Thus, sometimes you get good caps and more often than not, you get Teapo and Chemicon KZG .

But after a recap, they are reliable. I have two in total: an MSI MS-7191 and MSI MS-7184. Both are socket 939 based on the ATI x200 NB and SB400/SB450 SB. The former I got from eBay as "for parts/repair" due to... well, badcaps, of course ! It's been my gaming / secondary PC for the past year. The MS-7184 I got from eBay as well, again as a "parts/repair" package. That one didn't have failed caps, though. Only the VGA connector on the back was damaged and responsible for the "no video" symptoms described in the auction. I managed to fix that, but I still haven't gotten around to recapping it, though. It's got cheapo Teapo for the small caps just like the MS-7191. Too bad both of these came from OEM PCs (such as Acer, eMachines, HP, etc.), because their BIOS options are very limited in terms of overclocking.

When I get around to it, I will post pictures of the current setup in my room and specs of each rig. Beware that when I do that, you clocks my stop and your calendars might go back to as early as 2001!
                                        Generally,with MSI's OEM boards I had a bit of luck finding the standard (non-OEM crippled) board. However never got around it. Too bad since I had a ATI Radeon-based HP board (MS-7254) and it was nice,apart from the fact that it would boot in a lot of tries. I ripped the bios chip off (it was soldered). Thankfully,I didn't rip any soldering point and trace. Its equivalent seems to be the RC410M-L,bar two missing SATA ports on the OEM one.

BTW,this OEM scheme of using a crippled down OEM version doesn't stop only on MSI and HP. Another one I know is Sony's P4SD-VL,which closely resembles the P4P800-VM,again,save for any SATA ports.

nope i didnt buy it. its still available as of typing this message.

strange u got osts as small filter caps on your msi board(s) cuz i had an msi 875p-neo2 fisr. it had chemicon kze and rubycon zl for small cap filtering but the vrm in and out used ost rlx. what a strange way for the manufacturer to penny pinch by using good japcap caps for less stressful areas and cheap junk for the more critical cpu vrm area...
                                        Huh. The only instance I've had a Teapo-filled MSI on the small filtering caps was on a 865PE Neo2 (which I sadly killed with a wrong BIOS flash,shame on you MSI for not socketing the chip!) and it had 8mm OSTs on VRM,along with some unoriginal (and actually ghetto-rigged in there by extending the cap legs) Samwha RD 3300uF 6.3v caps. I used it on a trip because I had no laptop with me. I had to remove one or two bulged Nichicon HMs from it and had to fix the PSU (a 300W FSP,model FSP300-60GTP) because of bulging 5vsb cap,scorched minimum load resistor (not that I needed it anyways) and another Hermei cap (yes,Hermei mixed with Teapos) on the secondary. It had 3GHz Prescott and a 80GB WDC SATA drive.

I plan to do another system like this in its memory. Here are the specs:

ASUS K8N - replaced NB heatsink - will look into one of those coolers Titan made for GPUs,they seem pretty efficient last time I used one (on a 865PE Gigabyte board)
                                        AMD Athlon 64 3000+
                                        256MB RAM- will try and up it to 1GB if the Kingston stick I have works
                                        80GB Hitachi SATA drive - out of an dead Compaq laptop
                                        Radeon 9600 256MB AGP8x
                                        450W Delux ATX-450W - one of my projects that I did for 5 RON. It's a recapped Maxpower.
                                        Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86.
                                        Last edited by Dan81; 05-31-2016, 10:24 AM.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Generally,with MSI's OEM boards I had a bit of luck finding the standard (non-OEM crippled) board.
                                          Same here. It seems that the OEM MSI boards are very popular.
                                          That said, one way to quickly tell if an MSI board is OEM vs non-OEM is to look for the MSI name/logo on the board - if it has it, it likely is NOT an OEM board.

BTW,this OEM scheme of using a crippled down OEM version doesn't stop only on MSI and HP. Another one I know is Sony's P4SD-VL,which closely resembles the P4P800-VM,again,save for any SATA ports.
                                          Virtually all of the big-name OEM PC brands use a stripped-down version of a popular board. Dell likes to use Intel and (in the past) Foxconn. HP is almost always Asus. Gateway and eMachines use a larger variety (ECS, MSI, FIC). I think Gigabyte is the only one that doesn't do OEM boards - or at least I've never seen any. (Correct me if I am wrong, please!)

By the way, the Asus P4SD can also be found in the HP D530 and DC5000 SFF desktop computers.
                                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23503

Huh. The only instance I've had a Teapo-filled MSI on the small filtering caps was on a 865PE Neo2
                                          Most older MSI boards I've come across were Teapo-filled for the small caps. CPU VRM is usually Nichicon, Rubycon, and Chemicon (KZG ) job.

256MB RAM- will try and up it to 1GB if the Kingston stick I have works
                                          Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86.
                                          1 GB and Windows Vista?
                                          Never crossed my mind to even try it. Even with 2 GB it can be slow. Win7 is a lot better. Better yet, for anything Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 and older, stick to XP.
                                          Don't even attempt Vista on 256 MB or RAM! No wait, DO try it... and watch your beard grow and turn gray.
                                          Last edited by momaka; 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X