Ps3 fat Cechk04 no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps3 fat Cechk04 no power

Hi all my ps3 when plugged in just flashes green the ned and afterwards no led at all,pls help,it will be greatly appreciated

Re: Ps3 fat Cechk04 no power

do you have more than 1?
    it's going to be faster if you can swap in a different power supply.

Comment

No i am checking it for someone stj

Comment

get the service manual - it will give you the pinout for the psu control cable
        then you can check the standby voltage and maybe even force the psu on without the mainboard.

it may be shutting down because of a shorted capacitor on the mainboard though.

Comment

is it the nec tokin caps shorting out again?

Comment

I checked for the 12v it is supposed to have and dont get a reading there on the power supply

Comment

Thanks guys for your help so far,much appreciated

Comment

What i also noticed is that it has a Delta psu instead of an original ps3 one

Comment

??
                  there are several psu's used in ps3's

Comment

Thanks stj,where can i find a service manual with a psu to check for fault

Comment

someone may link one here - they are too big for me to upload.

Comment

Thank you stj.

Comment

Hi has anybody got a schematic of Delta power supply on ps3 fat.

Comment

The power supplies don't get a mention in the PS3 service manuals.

Comment

^ Indeed, or as far as I remember that is correct.

You don't necessarily need a schematic of the PS3 PSU to test it. Fat PS3 PSUs have 2 standard outputs: 12V and 5VSB (5V standby - always present when the PSU is plugged in the wall.)

The big round pins that stick out of the motherboard and connect to the bottom of the PS3 PSU are for the 12V (and ground/return) connections.

The 5VSB can be found on the small 5-pin white cable that connects to the front (or is it back) of the PS3 PSU.

Looking at the PS3 PSU so that the 5-pin connector is on the left side, this is the pinout:
                              Pin 1: PS_ON
                              Pin 2: Ground
                              Pin 3: Ground
                              Pin 4: 5VSB
                              Pin 5: 5VSB

First check the 5VSB with the PS3 PSU disconnected from the console, but connected to the wall. You should see 5V between pins 4/5 and any ground connection (i.e. pins 2 and 3 or the metal case of the PSU.)

If you have 5V, then your 5VSB is working normally.

Next, check the 12V output - that would be at the connector socket on the bottom of the PSU. Before doing this, it is recommended that you connect a load to the 12V output, just so the PSU is not running completely unloaded. A 12V PC fan or two or a car 12V light bulb will do fine (the car light bulb may be a better option, as you won't have to figure out the polarity of the plug, as long as it's an incandescent bulb, of course.)
                              Once you have your load connected, use a 50 to 470 Ohm resistor to jumper 5VSB to the PS_ON pin (hint: install the white 5-pin connector on the PSU and insert resistor in the connector on the other end.) This will enable the 12V output of the PSU. If you have 12V, the PSU is probably working fine.

On that note, the only fat PS3 PSUs I've seen go bad fairly frequently are the ones made by Nichicon (model number ZSSR539ia.) The ones made by Sony and Delta are usually pretty solid.
                              Whichever PSU model you have, NEVER test a PS3 with the top cover removed. Those PS3 PSUs rely on the top cover to get air circulated through them. Without that, they can overheat and fail. This is actually the main problem with the Nichicon PSUs - some of the components inside them are already running near their thermal limits, and that's why they fail so often. The PCB scorching seen on the Nichicon PSUs is a good indication of that.

Anyways, with the above tests complete... if PSU is still shutting down when connected to the motherboard but not when connecting an external load to it, then it may be the board that has an issue. Those fat PS3 boards have a lot of fuses on them, so test those out too. It's a fairly simple and quick test, so I always recommend doing it before assuming there is a bigger problem.
                              Last edited by momaka; 07-22-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Momaka thank you very much for the info

Comment

On the Delta psu it has a 3 pin plug for 5vsb and obviously the 2 connectors for 12v to the main board,what would be the pin for p on gnd and 5v

Comment

yes, the FAT i have in bits here is a 3pin plug too.
                                    you can find ground by metering to the metalwork,
                                    5v will have 5v on it,
                                    that will leave you with the control-pin

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      yes, the FAT i have in bits here is a 3pin plug too.
                                      You sure you're not confusing the fat with the slim PSUs?
                                      All of fat (old style shiny top cover) PS3s I've taken apart had 5-pin PSUs.

The newer smaller (slim) PS3s are the ones that have the 3-pin PSUs.

In any case, I took what I call a slim PS3 PSU that has a 3-pin output. Looks like a Delta unit, model EADP-300AB. Pin out for that one, with the 3-pin connector on the left side when looking at the front of the PSU, is as follows:

1: 5VSB
                                      2: GROUND
                                      3: PS-ON

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      you can find ground by metering to the metalwork,
                                      5v will have 5v on it,
                                      that will leave you with the control-pin
                                      Exactly!

With the PSU unplugged, first find the ground pin by using multimeter in resistance mode. The ground pin will have very low resistance to the case (3 Ohms or less, depending on multimeter capability to measure low resistance.)

After that, plug in PSU but don't connect the 3/5 -pin cable and check which pin(s) have 5V. That would be your 5VSB. If none, then you're likely looking at a faulty PSU.
                                      PS_ON will have no voltage on it (or maybe in the range of mV). It's an active high input, meaning you have to pull it high (to 5V) to enable the 12V output of the PSU. Most TV PSUs are like that too. On the other hand, PC ATX PSUs are the oppositve: you pull PS_ON low (to ground) to enable PSU outputs.
                                      Last edited by momaka; 07-24-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

the fat's have touch-sensors, slims have cheap tactile buttons.

the 3pin fat i have here is CECHM

Comment

Working...
                                        X