Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

using the one DPST relay per cell method, if you turn on more than one relay =

Technically safer to do the DPDT tree (and may save ONE relay if any) but it's a bit more complex wiring. The DPDT tree is inherently safer.

Both require the measurement meter to be completely isolated from the battery pack.

Both of these solutions is still ... sort of my relay based BMS...

Comment

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

using relays to get readings at 2hz is going to sound like sitting on an express train - clickety-clack....

Comment

Would this device work to control the relays

https://www.futurlec.com/DC_Opto_Output_8.shtml

With some modification done to the board
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          using relays to get readings at 2hz is going to sound like sitting on an express train - clickety-clack....
          LOL yep hahaha. I also wonder how long it will last, fortunately it's not carrying any current or the hope is that it's carrying microamps of current through the contacts. Was also wondering how fast you can click the relays, probably takes a few hundred milliseconds to click and then you have to wait for bounce, the meter to sample/integrate, and only then you can trust the reading...

If you switch them at 2Hz and you have 6 relays it'll take 3 seconds to get through all of them meaning you only can read at 0.333 Hz.

Do as you must to drive to relays, they're just relays... but I still think this is a silly endeavor using relays and strongly suggest not going through with this design... and for safety either use resistors or use the DPDT tree.
          Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-15-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            LOL yep hahaha. I also wonder how long it will last, fortunately it's not carrying any current or the hope is that it's carrying microamps of current through the contacts. Was also wondering how fast you can click the relays, probably takes a few hundred milliseconds to click and then you have to wait for bounce, the meter to sample/integrate, and only then you can trust the reading...

If you switch them at 2Hz and you have 6 relays it'll take 3 seconds to get through all of them meaning you only can read at 0.333 Hz.

Do as you must to drive to relays, they're just relays... but I still think this is a silly endeavor using relays and strongly suggest not going through with this design... and for safety either use resistors or use the DPDT tree.
            Please explain this further “DPDT tree” how would you do this

Would this work

https://wiki.dfrobot.com/Gravity__An...or_SKU_DFR0504

Can this circuit be modified to output 5 volts instead of 3.5 volts

https://www.electronics-lab.com/proj...e-for-arduino/
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-15-2021, 08:56 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

use a DPDT relay to switch between two batteries, and then use another DPDT relay to switch between two DPDT relays in a tree. All of the first level relays can have their coils connected in parallel, same with all the second level, and the third level is only one relay.
              Then you can select a battery using binary coding and there would be no illegal input.

attached is a 4S version using 3 DPDT relays (ignore the title, too lazy to delete). You can double it to 8S and use another DPDT to switch between the two sets - so 7 relays in total... Since you only have 6 cells, you can delete one relay...

If you're using a digital connected multimeter, that should already be isolated.

If you're planning to use a microcontroller, then you will indeed use isolation. The latter (electronics-lab) will NOT work for you (by itself) and don't bother investigating if its output range can be increased. The former (dfrobot) may work, but it's 404'ing on critical data that needs to be inspected. I bet the dfrobot one is significantly more expensive and it does have that critical piece of hardware that allows it to work - an isolating DC-DC converter.

Both would need to guarantee linearity - which is the ultimate problem anyway and would ruin your perfect full dynamic range in a heartbeat.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-15-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                use a DPDT relay to switch between two batteries, and then use another DPDT relay to switch between two DPDT relays in a tree. All of the first level relays can have their coils connected in parallel, same with all the second level, and the third level is only one relay.
                Then you can select a battery using binary coding and there would be no illegal input.

attached is a 4S version using 3 DPDT relays (ignore the title, too lazy to delete). You can double it to 8S and use another DPDT to switch between the two sets - so 7 relays in total... Since you only have 6 cells, you can delete one relay...

If you're using a digital connected multimeter, that should already be isolated.

If you're planning to use a microcontroller, then you will indeed use isolation. The latter (electronics-lab) will NOT work for you (by itself) and don't bother investigating if its output range can be increased. The former (dfrobot) may work, but it's 404'ing on critical data that needs to be inspected. I bet the dfrobot one is significantly more expensive and it does have that critical piece of hardware that allows it to work - an isolating DC-DC converter.

Both would need to guarantee linearity - which is the ultimate problem anyway and would ruin your perfect full dynamic range in a heartbeat.
                I was only going to control the relays with a micro controller only

Thank you for the wiring diagram that was very helpful for me

The way I am going to control the relays is as follows
                First read battery cells from left to right going from your wiring diagram read battery cell 1 next Turn row two relay ON read cell 2 turn off relay then turn ON relay row one and read battery cell 3 and so on until I have read all battery cells
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-15-2021, 10:16 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

so incase i didnt already ask,
                  how many digits are needed?
                  because maybe just using a panel of 8 chinese meter-modules with a usb psu driving them would be simpler.

Comment

so incase i didnt already ask,
                    how many digits are needed?
                    because maybe just using a panel of 8 chinese meter-modules with a usb psu driving them would be simpler.
                    I am open to any ideas just post a website link so I can see what you have in mind

Thanks
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

lol yes relays are not cheap, alas these chinese panel meters might be cheap enough...

though you *still* may need to isolate if they're not self powered or isolated properly...

isolation is the b17ch, and bad isolation can ruin linearity. Isolation for digital signals is much easier!

Comment

Well I did some testing on the SkyRc iMac b6 charger and you can use the charger with out the build in Balancing of the unit and you can read the voltage but you have to use the build in power supply for the charger not a real big deal

But I have to make a jig for the balancing wire because the wire leads are not long enough to and I need to put a better power connector than what is on there now

So it look like I have most of my problem solved but I have to make some accessories for this battery charger for it to work the way I want it to

But I might still go down this other route that we have been discussing in this post
                        Because I have to find out just how accurate the voltage that is being reporting accurate or not for each battery cell
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

which connector is poor, the input or the output?
                          i assume the crappy input barrel jack?

Comment

which connector is poor, the input or the output?
                            i assume the crappy input barrel jack?
                            Output side are not the greatest things in the world
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

mine has XT60 for the output

Comment

mine has XT60 for the output
                                I am going to order some an install on mine and do away with the other type
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is a battery on test right now

You might have noticed that the battery temperature sensor is not hooked up you are correct when I make a testing jig for this charger I will be using it I know that there is nothing wrong with this battery pack

I am just testing the battery voltage monitoring capacity of this battery charger it seems that the voltage monitoring system is constant with the battery voltage reading that I took with a volt meter before I put it on this battery charger the voltage between battery cells was very close to each other

I am also checking the BMS balancing protection board that is on this battery pack this is the only battery pack that has the balancing protection the other 3 boards are only protection boards only but the size and shape are exactly the same and used these same exact battery cell but this board that I am testing had some different types of batteries on it three batteries were leaking and all of them the CDI had been tripped

Now I changed it to the charging mode and let see how well it does over time I had checked for a little while when I first started with hooked up to the battery voltage monitoring system and seems to work ok but I did for about 10 minutes or so

This is one of the battery packs that I got from Battery Hookup unfortunately they are sold out of them after I had done some testing of them I want to buy some more of them but I will not be able to but I did send them an email to see if they would be getting anymore of them back in stock
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-15-2021, 07:14 PM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i need to see if mine has a data output,
                                    mine is a clone of the original - not the mini.

Comment

i need to see if mine has a data output,
                                      mine is a clone of the original - not the mini.
                                      The one I am using is the ac version 2 of it not the mini how it is the same software

The HTRC brand Gold colored one dose not have the USB port on it
                                      Some of the HTRC brand Blue ones do but I think it uses different software if my memory service me right
                                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-16-2021, 07:04 AM.
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

i'll have to have a look at mine - i'm sure it has no connector but i think the board has a header location.

Comment

i'll have to have a look at mine - i'm sure it has no connector but i think the board has a header location.
                                          If you get it to work please post your results on this post thanks
                                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                          1 Dell Mother Board
                                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                          X