Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "leaked" Windows 11

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
    I understand not supporting truly old hardware (I certainly don't expect them to still support the core2duo/quad era stuff, and could even understand not supporting the first couple generations of the core "i" series), but not supporting CPUs released as recently as 3 years ago (which you can still buy new), GPUs one generation of DirectX back, and requiring a TPM even for non-enterprise editions (and only supporting the latest version), is a little ridiculous. It is one thing for it not to run on a 10 year old PC or even a 5+ year old one, but allot of even 1-2 year old PCs (and even some current production "home" models that don't have a TPM or a slot/header in the motherboard to add one as until now TPMs often had little value outside of the enterprise/government environment) don't meet the requirements, and just about anything 3+ years old is a no go due to the limited CPU support even if the other hardware meets the requirements (or could be easily upgraded to do so).
    This 100%. M$ has been on a very shitty path with stuff like this since W10's release. I disliked Win7 when released....but SP1 cured all my main gripes. I am still yet to warm up to Win10....what a horrible collection of spyware & bloat....I'm almost ashamed to set it up for people, especially Home; which is impossible to denut completely. I don't see any bonuses to 11 yet except M$'s usual "where's Waldo" with functions & features and more bloat in the name of "telemetry" and eye candy.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

the basic thing here is 64-bit dual core (not sure about single core /w HT/MT). But most older systems will simply not support TPM 2.0, so it rules them out unless someone comes up with a bios/OS hack
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

So the question is now will 20H1 be the final version of Windows 10, we know 8.1 has security update support till 2023 and 10 was going to be 2025 so thats still 4 years if microsoft keeps their word, if 11 is that bad we can still use 10 for quite awhile.
        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Those system requirements don't make sense to me either. I would have to look at the instruction set and see what changed in the 8th-gen Core or 2nd-gen Ryzen. I haven't heard about any changes other than the stupid new UI, which is really annoying. There have to be some kernel improvements under that "innovation."

Comment

they have a few years to work on it. I'm sure between now and them the'll make some changes. A guy on a tech page on facebook said it installed on his 6th series intel
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

There will be no Windows 11 here at my house if this is true.

Windows 11 Home Edition Requires a Microsoft Account to Complete Setup

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-1...complete-setup

As for TPM, if Windows 11 requires it, then I have no systems that support that.

The only time I need Windows 10 is for one tax program that I run in April every year. If Windows 11 won't run on my E8500 CPU, then I will re-examine WINE again.

All my computers at home run Lubuntu on mainly E8500 systems that I got for $10 CAD.

The way most people use their computer, they only need a bare bones OS that boots and load their favourite browser.

I left Windows in April 2014 and have no plans to ever willingly go back.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                they have a few years to work on it. I'm sure between now and them the'll make some changes. A guy on a tech page on facebook said it installed on his 6th series intel
                I think it is just preliminary and the requirements will change between now and when Windows 11 is actually released. If Microsoft sticks with those requirements, a lot of people will be angry (and will be silenced by the "i7-7700K and Ryzen 7 1800X users are anti-technology" idiots producing millions of tons of e-waste).

Also, the CPU support list for Windows 10 (all versions) only goes back to the Intel 5th generation, and that's obviously wrong.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                There will be no Windows 11 here at my house if this is true.

Windows 11 Home Edition Requires a Microsoft Account to Complete Setup

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-1...complete-setup
                That's only for the "home" version, and considering that Windows 10 nags me to use a Microsoft account every time I restart, it really isn't surprising.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                As for TPM, if Windows 11 requires it, then I have no systems that support that.
                Just like the CPU requirement, that's ridiculous and will force tons of people to buy new computers. I would expect that requirement to change. If it doesn't, then Microsoft doesn't care about e-waste (just like every phone and TV manufacturer). Secure Boot is also required, so dual-booting with Linux won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I'm almost ashamed to set it up for people, especially Home; which is impossible to denut completely.
                  I think that's why there's only a Pro Ghost Spectre!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                    a current example was older AMD 64 chips not having SSE3 wouldn't run 64 bit windows 10, but older 64 bit pentium 4s being able too because having SSE3.
                    That reminds me of socket 462 Athlons-You can fuhgetaboutit!
                    Because socket 462 Athlons never had SSE2, while all socket 478 Pentium 4s have SSE2. (if not also the pre-Northwood Pentium 4s, as well)

And Athlon XP, had PIII-style SSE.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

i dont know why anybody even cares about w11, 8 was bad, 10 was worse.
                      you exect 11 to be better?

new features probably include the microsoft unified man-machine interface that bluetooth links to your vaccine particles and allows you to login with your dna(your new improved dna)

Comment

I was going to say that TPM 2.0 is only a "soft" requirement, but that TPM 1.2 is a "hard" requirement.
                        However now Microsoft changed the language on their support website removing the part about TPM 1.2 so honestly I have no clue.

Here is how it was listed earlier:
                        https://web.archive.org/web/20210624...ty/windows-11/
                        And now that part about TPM 1.2 is gone:
                        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ty/windows-11/

On the CPU requirements I think those are just silly, it probably is a list for OEM's to be certified or some useless shit like that.
                        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-requirements
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i think Linus has a copy, if so he could do some tests with different cpu's etc.
                          of course the "debug" version is probably more forgiving than the final release build!

Comment

What I'm worried about, is that Microsoft, possibly perm-banned X79.
                            Even worse, if they perm-banned X99 and the later ultra-high-end-platforms from Intel, with quad-channel-SDRAM-support.

It's one thing to perm-ban P43 and P45, which are socket 775, as nobody even runs 10 with them, usually, TMK! (and everything with DDR2)

For socket 775=Better stay with Windows 7, or go to Linux!
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-26-2021, 09:30 AM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                              What I'm worried about, is that Microsoft, possibly perm-banned X79.
                              Even worse, if they perm-banned X99 and the later ultra-high-end-platforms from Intel, with quad-channel-SDRAM-support.

It's one thing to perm-ban P43 and P45, which are socket 775, as nobody even runs 10 with them, usually, TMK! (and everything with DDR2)

For socket 775=Better stay with Windows 7, or go to Linux!
                              Win10 pro runs very well on LGA775 C2Q or Xeon (Harpertown 5400 series) modded DDR2 (some were DDR3) systems. The key to this is a SSD. Through the pandemic, I sold a lot of them to folks who needed cheap work-from-home systems. Even today, they're fabulous web browsing, emailing, facebarfing, letter typers....and with an upgraded GPU will play games to some degree.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                              http://folding.stanford.edu/
                              Team : 49813
                              Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

As I said earlier, the CPU support list for Windows 10 is equally stupid. It says that Windows 10 won't run on Haswell or older Intel CPUs.
                                https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
                                https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors

The "requirement" is the same for the old 2015 release of Windows 10, too.
                                https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

There's also this new insanity:
                                https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tp...ive-windows-11

Let's make the component shortages and scalping worse because of something that isn't even close to being released. That's a great idea.
                                Last edited by lti; 06-26-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

LOL tpm scalping what a joke. POSTED FROM MY DELL INSPIRON 1521 RUNNING WINDOWS VISTA!
                                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    Win10 pro runs very well on LGA775 C2Q or Xeon (Harpertown 5400 series) modded DDR2 (some were DDR3) systems. The key to this is a SSD. Through the pandemic, I sold a lot of them to folks who needed cheap work-from-home systems. Even today, they're fabulous web browsing, emailing, facebarfing, letter typers....and with an upgraded GPU will play games to some degree.
                                    Well, I knew that it's possible to get 10 to run well with 775, especially a Yorkfield with an SSD. But most didn't even bother. Even I haven't yet.
                                    But, I do have a healthy dose of SATA SSDs!

The reason that I haven't even tried 10 on my P45 motherboard, is, because 7 does everything I need it to do! Heck, even a much later system that's socket FM2+, with the A88X chipset, does well with Windows 7.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

TPM isnt even real on most systems, it's emulated in software by the bios!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        i dont know why anybody even cares about w11, 8 was bad, 10 was worse.
                                        you exect 11 to be better?
                                        QTF!

Heck, I'm still on the line about Windows 7 (Vista for sure sucked.) I know a lot of you will think I'm crazy to say this... but I just can't get used to 7 for certain things, like organizing my files/data, which is one of the main things I've been using my computers for in the last 2 decades now. Windows Explorer has been getting progressively worse with Vista and onwards in terms of design. Despite MS adding a shitton of options, the interface is more buggy. For example, I can't set one type of folder view and grouping in my main music folder, but have other folders within it to use a different view and grouping. In XP, this was never a problem (aside from the rare bug that sometimes, after many years and many files of use and abuse, some certain folders may eventually develop a mind of their own and start switching views a bit "randomly".) And there are a ton of other things I don't even want to go into details about. The only reason why I keep any Windows 7 PCs ATM is because that's the last OS that supports current Firefox Quantum, which is what I need for Youtube and a few other websites, as these otherwise render/run poorly on the old non-quantum FF engine due to not being able to take advantage of multi-CPUs. And Win7 is the last OS that supports a few online games I still play. If it wasn't for these two, I probably wouldn't have any Win7 machines. And Windows 8/10? - no thanks! By the looks of that, Windows 11 indeed appears to be just Windows 10 with rounded corners... and maybe some things moved around to mess around with people. Win 11 seems like a lame attempt for current MS software devs to just look busy and have something to do.

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                        They won't listen (especially the "less spyware" part - everything spies on you, and the average person loves it because they can control their kitchen faucet from their phone instead of reaching over and moving the handle). If you don't like it, some troll will call you a Luddite. You have to embrace change, even when it's objectively bad.
                                        Exactly!
                                        Seems like a sucker is born every minute with the "newer is always better" mentality... and those of us who don't agree with that mentality are grossly outnumbered at this point. That's not to say I'm the type who thinks "older is always better". Rather, I'm the type that thinks "if something works good enough with optimal efficiency, don't touch it" type of guy. We have a lot of old products that fall into that latter category that companies want to change simply to make a buck, unfortunately. Windows OS is no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                          QTF!

Heck, I'm still on the line about Windows 7 (Vista for sure sucked.) I know a lot of you will think I'm crazy to say this... but I just can't get used to 7 for certain things, like organizing my files/data, which is one of the main things I've been using my computers for in the last 2 decades now. Windows Explorer has been getting progressively worse with Vista and onwards in terms of design. Despite MS adding a shitton of options, the interface is more buggy. For example, I can't set one type of folder view and grouping in my main music folder, but have other folders within it to use a different view and grouping. In XP, this was never a problem (aside from the rare bug that sometimes, after many years and many files of use and abuse, some certain folders may eventually develop a mind of their own and start switching views a bit "randomly".) And there are a ton of other things I don't even want to go into details about. The only reason why I keep any Windows 7 PCs ATM is because that's the last OS that supports current Firefox Quantum, which is what I need for Youtube and a few other websites, as these otherwise render/run poorly on the old non-quantum FF engine due to not being able to take advantage of multi-CPUs. And Win7 is the last OS that supports a few online games I still play. If it wasn't for these two, I probably wouldn't have any Win7 machines. And Windows 8/10? - no thanks! By the looks of that, Windows 11 indeed appears to be just Windows 10 with rounded corners... and maybe some things moved around to mess around with people. Win 11 seems like a lame attempt for current MS software devs to just look busy and have something to do.

Exactly!
                                          Seems like a sucker is born every minute with the "newer is always better" mentality... and those of us who don't agree with that mentality are grossly outnumbered at this point. That's not to say I'm the type who thinks "older is always better". Rather, I'm the type that thinks "if something works good enough with optimal efficiency, don't touch it" type of guy. We have a lot of old products that fall into that latter category that companies want to change simply to make a buck, unfortunately. Windows OS is no exception.

Agreed, nothing Microsoft has come out with in the last decade or so has actually been a significant improvement over the previous version/product
                                          and in many cases has been worse than what proceeded it(not that MS has ever been spectacular, but they've really gone to shit in recent years), not just Windows, but Office (I know where they can jam their "ribbon"), and the steaming turd that is MS teams (which aside from being a poor design in general has more bugs than a roach motel), etc.

Comment

Working...
                                          X