Replacing Rubycon CE W with Rubycon YXF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Rubycon CE W with Rubycon YXF

Hello. I'm looking for the best modern long-life replacement for Rubycon CE W capacitors found in some old consoles and computers (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and ZX Spectrum). In these machines I've also found (and replaced) Nichicon VX(M), TK C-8Z1 and FDS K002.

I've used Panasonic FR (and Rubycon YXJ for the 1 uF 50V) but the Sega Mega Drive became unstable after one hour of use, so I switched to Panasonic FC / Rubycon ML and it works apparently fine. I need more capacitors, so I'm planning to order Rubycon YXF instead of ML this time, is it a good idea?

ML does not especify impedance value. This is the maximum impedance at 20C specified in the datasheet for the values I need, so I have:

YXF 220 uF 16V: 0.25 ohm
    YXF 100 uF 16V 0.4 ohm
    YXF 47 uF 25V: 0.9 ohm
    YXF 10 uF 50V: 1.5 ohm
    YXF 1 uF 50V: 4 ohm

FC 220 uF 16V: 0.117 ohm
    FC 100 uF 16V: 0.35 ohm
    FC 47 uF 25 V: 0.8 ohm
    FC 10 uF 50V: 1.3 ohm

So I suppose the YXF will do. FR 220 uF 16V has an impedance of 0.13 ohm, can I safely assume it's safe to replace a FC 220 uF 16V (0.117 ohm) with it in this application?

Or is it better to just stick to ML's that are more similar to the old capacitors?
    Last edited by Y. Signal; 05-06-2018, 11:36 PM.

Re: Replacing Rubycon CE W with Rubycon YXF

From what I see, general purpose units are suitable for this application since the aforementioned units use a linear (non switching) power supply.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Yep, GP caps, not low-ESR. Maybe, just maybe some long-life will do. Like Chemi-Cons LE.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Thanks for the information. Yesterday I ordered some YXF to test.

Apart from Low ESR, Rubycon YXF capacitors are listed as Long Life / General Purpose in the catalog: http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/catalog/capacitors.html
        Last edited by Y. Signal; 05-08-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I've recapped a Sega Mega Drive using Rubycon YXF and apparently it's working fine since 2.5+ hours

I observed discoloration near a Rubycon CE W capacitor leg, does it look like electrolyte leak? the board is dated 1992.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
            From what I see, general purpose units are suitable for this application since the aforementioned units use a linear (non switching) power supply.
            What's wrong with using a Low-ESR cap after the bridge rectifier on a linear power supply?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
            X