Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba U945-S4390 - Need assistance understanding BIOS and EC flashing

Hello,

TLDR: I need to flash the BIOS and EC on this laptop. There are 3 files. Two BIOS files that I know how and where to flash. But I don't know what to do with the 128kb EC BIN.

I have an issue with this laptop that I have never experienced before with any other laptop.

It was working OK on Windows 8, which is the OS that it came with.

I went to upgrade to Windows 10, and immediately upon reboot the screen went black, but the laptop would still power on.

I tried all the normal fixes like pulling the battery and holding the button. Known good RAM in each slot. External monitor, and a few other things, but nothing worked. Every time you turn the laptop on, the fan spins and the power LED comes on, but the screen never turns on.

I thought maybe I was just really unlucky and I have a motherboard failure while installing Windows 10, but to my surprise, many other people on the internet have had the EXACT same issue. They had a working laptop, tried to upgrade to Win10 or tried to do an OS "reset" and afterwards their screen would never turn on again. I am not sure if I am allowed to link to other forums here, but I found at least 6 people with the same problem. One person it happened to on the same day he bought the laptop, after he tried to upgrade to Win 10. So, obviously, there is some major issue with these boards when you try to update the OS.

One person said he solved the problem by re flashing the EC so I want to try.

Here is where my inexperience shows...

If you look on VinaFix and even on BadCaps, someone has posted the BIOS and EC for this laptop. It comes in three files.

One of the files is U940_PSU6SE_UH4_25Q16CV.ROM. I assume this is to be flashed onto the IC labeled UH4. I already did this with my SPI programmer.

And another file called U940_PSU6SE_UH3_25Q32BV.ROM which I assume will go onto IC labeled UH3. I also already flashed this one too.

But what about the 128kb BIN for the EC? Is there a third IC somewhere that I need to flash with EC BIN?

If anyone could clarify how to "flash the EC" that would be great.
    Last edited by mattpd; 11-29-2018, 03:29 PM.

Re: Toshiba U945-S4390 - Need assistance understanding BIOS and EC flashing

the 128kb file should be programmed into the KBC chip. programming this chip needs a special programmer. what is the programmer which you have?
    However, it is a question why an OS upgrade may lead to EC failure. I think it is hardly possible.
    Last edited by caspian; 11-30-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
      the 128kb file should be programmed into the KBC chip. programming this chip needs a special programmer. what is the programmer which you have?
      However, it is a question why an OS upgrade may lead to EC failure. I think it is hardly possible.
      Thank you. I just have a USB SPI programmer. The Ezp2011. Is there a way to adapt this programmer to flash a KBC? I will get another programmer if not.

I also find it hardly possible, and I know it sounds dumb. I would have never thought about a BIOS or EC failure until I saw all the other people on the net with the exact same issue. At least 6 people with the same MOBO could not get their laptop to show a display ever again, no matter what they tried, and it started immediately after a Windows upgrade.

I asked around in another group that I am a member of, and one person said he has seen a similar situation when trying to upgrade legacy laptops to Windows 10. According to him, at some point during the OS installation it does touch the BIOS and makes modifications if the laptop was Windows 8 or older. 99.999% of the time there is no issues.

This information, plus the one person on the net that said an EC reflash brought his back to life, leads me here...

Comment

your programmer is not able to program KBC. If you always repair laptops, you should buy a KBC programmer anyway. Now, you should wait for experienced members of this forum to give their opinions on this issue. they will guide you what is the best KBC programmer now.

Comment

or replace kbc from the same model

Comment

anyone here have dump bios U945_S4390
            VCUAA LA-9161P REV.1.0

Thank you in advance..

Comment

Originally posted by technician37 View Post
              anyone here have dump bios U945_S4390
              VCUAA LA-9161P REV.1.0

Thank you in advance..
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48217
              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

You can also flash ENE KB9012QF with BusPirate or CH341A hardware and Flashrom software.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/...ith_Bus_Pirate

http://www.flashrom.org/Downloads#In...on_from_source

Pay attention to flashrom version , only building from recent git you have ENE KB support.

git clone https://review.coreboot.org/flashrom.git
                Last edited by lpraderi; 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X