Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw-In Barrel Adapter for LED light array gets really hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screw-In Barrel Adapter for LED light array gets really hot?

Originally posted by zman78 View Post
    By the way since you know the DC power supplies well -- the one I bought, the case temperature of the brick also gets to about 140 degrees after ~20 minutes. Is that reasonable for the power draw I'm putting on it? I'll be having the LED strip on for 12-14 hrs a day. I just wanted to check if this heat level is OK for both safety and longevity. Or, if this might be a problem and I should invest in a better quality DC power adapter.

Thanks!

i would question weather or not you are pulling to much current from it have tried running the power supply with no load how warm dose it get that way
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-02-2021, 01:52 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

His connector was getting hot, not the PSU specifically.

Comment

People buy cheap chinese PSU's and wonder why they run hot and have a short life.
        A brick running at 140F usually is hotter inside and the electrolytic capacitors likely to not last very long. What brand PSU is this? Won hung lo?
        Teardowns of the low cost brick PSU's are pretty bad, inside can be quite cheap. You have derate them, run them at 50% rated power.

If you want reliability, buy a brand name PSU with a bit of extra current rating. Even then, running a 48W PSU at 50W will shorten its lifetime. You are at the power level where open-frame PSU's are commonly used too.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          His connector was getting hot, not the PSU specifically.
          Actually both of them are getting hot. the connector a bit hotter (and faster). I noted the connecter being a problem because as it heated and cooled it broke the connection so the lights wouldn't turn back on the next day.

But the PSU is definitely getting hot as well. It is nearly at it's limit using 2A of (3A rated) with my 120V supply. The product actually claims 6A @ 24V, but from the comments on Amazon this only applies if it's sourced with 240V? (I don't understand how that works). I'm assuming because i supply 120V instead of 240v, that it's only capable of delivering 3A.
          Last edited by zman78; 07-02-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
            People buy cheap chinese PSU's and wonder why they run hot and have a short life.
            A brick running at 140F usually is hotter inside and the electrolytic capacitors likely to not last very long. What brand PSU is this? Won hung lo?
            Teardowns of the low cost brick PSU's are pretty bad, inside can be quite cheap. You have derate them, run them at 50% rated power.

If you want reliability, buy a brand name PSU with a bit of extra current rating. Even then, running a 48W PSU at 50W will shorten its lifetime. You are at the power level where open-frame PSU's are commonly used too.
            Actually, I don't mind spending on a better PSU. This just happened to be the one i found on Amazon without knowing any better what was a good, and what was a bad PSU.

Any recommendations on links of what to buy (perhaps also WHERE to buy in case Amazon doesn't have any good ones)? I need 24 Volts 2 Amps for 12-14 hours per day. Hopefully something that can last about 3-5 years (rated lifetime of the LEDs im running)

Thanks!

Comment

Actually both of them are getting hot. But the PSU is definitely getting hot as well. It is nearly at it's limit (3A) with my 120V supply
              I would get a bigger switching power supply for your LED project

I had the same problem when I bought a portable Peltier Dehumidifier unit the switching power supply that came with it was a 2.2 amp the device current draw 2.4 at startup then drops to 2.1 switching power supply got warm very fast in less than 5 minutes ( no freaking way this was going to work)

Bought a 5 amp switching power supply and even this one the switching power supply case does get very warm but not hot but it has two heat sinks that run most of the switching power supply case so I not as concerned about it over heating it has been running 24 hours seven days a week for about a month now

If you are like me and save wall warts then find one that fits your input jack and just replace it
              That what I did with this Peltier Dehumidifier unit switching power supply that came with it because I did have a power supply cord that fit correctly
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-02-2021, 02:55 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                I would get a bigger switching power supply for your LED project

I had the same problem when I bought a portable Peltier Dehumidifier unit the switching power supply that came with it was a 2.2 amp the device current draw 2.4 at startup then drops to 2.1 switching power supply got warm very fast in less than 5 minutes ( no freaking way this was going to work)

Bought a 5 amp switching power supply and even this one the switching power supply case does get very warm but not hot but it has two heat sinks that run most of the switching power supply case so I not as concerned about it over heating it has been running 24 hours seven days a week for about a month now
                I found this one searching on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08763KYFR/ref=emc_b_5_t

Interestingly it seems to come WITH a matching screw-in terminal. Anyone know if I might have better luck with this? The brand is "JOVNO" which i don't recognize. anyone know if that's a reasonable brand?

Comment

I found this one searching on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08763KYFR/ref=emc_b_5_t

Interestingly it seems to come WITH a matching screw-in terminal. Anyone know if I might have better luck with this? The brand is "JOVNO" which i don't recognize. anyone know if that's a reasonable brand?
                  The only way you are going to know if this is going to work is buying it and opening the case and see if the heat sink runs the hole length of the case because I have seen some switching power supply that the heat sinks are very small and can not handle what it is rated for and over heat severely

I would not trust a switching power supply with a very small heat sink to being with
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                    You have derate them, run them at 50% rated power.
                    Exactly this. I won't always go a full 50%, but if I had 3a current, I'd probably go for a 5a supply minimum.

Comment

does the plug get hot when it isnt plugged in ?

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                        does the plug get hot when it isnt plugged in ?
                        It does not, when not connected (barrel connector side) but still connected to AC power, neither the power brick nor the end of the barrel plug get hot.

Comment

I decided to buy the JOVNO supply i linked earlier and it solved my problem! Thought it would be good form to report what the final solution was.

The JOVNO supply came with a matching connector. This time the connector screws heated/stabilized to about 101 degrees, and the barrel connector side was a few degrees warmer. Same amount of torque, same wires as before.

The power brick itself also stayed a relatively cool 102 degrees (versus 145 degrees with the other power brick.)

The price of the JOVNO $23 (included screw in terminal) versus the previous power supply was $13 but without the matching screw-in terminal included.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like the correctly matching barrel plug can certainly handle this current without problems. Not sure what's up with the other set/power brick. I guess i'll just keep it around as a backup power supply.

Comment

problem: Car light bulbs burned out: solution: replace car.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                              problem: Car light bulbs burned out: solution: replace car.
                              Really funny
                              9 PC LCD Monitor
                              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                              1 Dell Mother Board
                              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I decided to buy the JOVNO supply i linked earlier and it solved my problem! Thought it would be good form to report what the final solution was.

The JOVNO supply came with a matching connector. This time the connector screws heated/stabilized to about 101 degrees, and the barrel connector side was a few degrees warmer. Same amount of torque, same wires as before.

The power brick itself also stayed a relatively cool 102 degrees (versus 145 degrees with the other power brick.)

The price of the JOVNO $23 (included screw in terminal) versus the previous power supply was $13 but without the matching screw-in terminal included.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Looks like the correctly matching barrel plug can certainly handle this current without problems. Not sure what's up with the other set/power brick. I guess i'll just keep it around as a backup power supply.
                                This is a perfect example you get want you pay for

I have come to the conclusion that when you buy switching power supply that you need more than one amp of current you are better off going twice the amperage you need so you do not over stress the switching power supply
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                X