E470VA with a PLHH-Y009A - no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E470VA with a PLHH-Y009A - no power

It should be obvious you need to remove BOTH JW79 AND JW59 They are both connecting the same points. If by removing the BOTH and the short on the (+160VDC) line is gone, then the short must be with Q70x (can't make out the number) connected to EY7 & EY6
    I will try to explain with this marked picture of the trace side of the board
    Red = +160v line
    Black = hot ground
    Blue = JW79 & JW59
    Grey = fuse

With JW79 &JW59 lifted, check the resistance between HOT ground and JW21, Is there a short?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 01-23-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      It should be obvious you need to remove BOTH JW79 AND JW59 They are both connecting the same points. If by removing the BOTH and the short on the (+160VDC) line is gone, then the short must be with Q70x (can't make out the number) connected to EY7 & EY6
      I will try to explain with this marked picture of the trace side of the board
      Red = +160v line
      Black = hot ground
      Blue = JW79 & JW59
      Grey = fuse

With JW79 &JW59 lifted, check the resistance between HOT ground and JW21, Is there a short?
      With both jumpers lifted, yes there is a short between the hot ground and EY6/7. See attached, hopefully I tested the right items. See attached. I put the tested leads on the pins I tested.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by primuspaul; 01-23-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

One of those transistors must be shorted

Comment

One of those transistors must be shorted
          So it's one of the transistors on the right, not one of the two on the left? Any way to test these without desoldering them?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by primuspaul View Post
            So it's one of the transistors on the right, not one of the two on the left? Any way to test these without desoldering them?
            Try checking them, but you will likely need to unsolder one of the drain or source leads to be sure.

Comment

Try checking them, but you will likely need to unsolder one of the drain or source leads to be sure.
              I got EY7 off. How do I test it?

I got EY6 off, too. One of the items gives no connection between any of the legs. The other has a short between all legs. I guess the one with the short is the bad item?
              Last edited by primuspaul; 01-23-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, the one is shorted, the location is Q70x. "one of the items" doesn't tell me which one, I need to know so I can see what else it might have damaged.
                To get a short between Hot ground and 160vdc seems to require more than one shorted component. If the mosfet is shorted to all three leads, then it is possible the gate drive components may also be damaged.
                Last edited by R_J; 01-23-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, the one is shorted, the location is Q70x. "one of the items" doesn't tell me which one, I need to know so I can see what else it might have damaged.
                  To get a short between Hot ground and 160vdc seems to require more than one shorted component. If the mosfet is shorted to all three leads, then it is possible the gate drive components may also be damaged.
                  One of the EY6/7 MOSFETs was shorted. The other was not.

EY5 (same type of MOSFET: KF5N50) was also shorted. EY4 appears to be OK.

Each shorted MOSFET was shorted on all 3 legs.

Comment

EY stands for Eyelet, NOT the component. I suggest you replace the shorted ones and then check the other components. If Q709 was shorted, I suspect it was Q708 that was also shorted. These are the mosfets that drive the backlight transformers.
                    Last edited by R_J; 01-24-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

EY stands for Eyelet, NOT the component. I suggest you replace the shorted ones and then check the other components. If Q709 was shorted, I suspect it was Q708 that was also shorted. These are the mosfets that drive the backlight transformers.
                      I checked all four. Two were shorted, two were not. Does this mean I just need to replace those two shorted ones, or is there another problem on the board that is causing the shorts?

Comment

I would check the diodes and the resistors as well

Comment

I would check the diodes and the resistors as well
                          I think I checked some of those in the prior posts. Any particular ones you want me to check?

Comment

Originally posted by primuspaul View Post
                            I think I checked some of those in the prior posts. Any particular ones you want me to check?
                            You need to check the ones in the gate circuit, when the fet's short, they can supply the 160v from the drain, through the gate and damage the gate drive components, so if you replace the fets, and don't repair the gate drive, the fets will just short again.

Comment

You need to check the ones in the gate circuit, when the fet's short, they can supply the 160v from the drain, through the gate and damage the gate drive components, so if you replace the fets, and don't repair the gate drive, the fets will just short again.
                              Hmm could you be more specific? I'm not very good at electronics. Which parts are the "gate" components I should test?

Comment

A mosfet has 3 leads, a DRAIN, a SOURCE and a GATE, The "gate" of the mosfet has parts connected to it, check them.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by R_J; 01-25-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X