Insignia NS-39L700A12 backlight transformer high pitched wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia NS-39L700A12 backlight transformer high pitched wine

The tv won't turn on most of the time. It will try for a few seconds and quit, there's a lower buzzing then if it fires the transformer whines. All the caps look good visually there aren't any bulged caps or indications of leakage.

When I press on the transformer in question the whine changes.

Here's a video of it https://streamable.com/gatxa4
    Attached Files

Re: Insignia NS-39L700A12 backlight transformer high pitched wine

There look like there are at least 2 bad caps, C556 & C554, (or it is just the angle of the picture) start by replacing them. One is for the standby +5 the other is for the +12v. see if that helps.
    Last edited by R_J; 01-23-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      There look like there are at least 2 bad caps, C556 & C554, (or it is just the angle of the picture) start by replacing them. One is for the standby +5 the other is for the +12v. see if that helps.
      It's just the picture but heating the big cap made it turn on, now to find a replacement.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MikeRWK; 01-23-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRWK View Post
        It's just the picture but heating the big cap made it turn on, now to find a replacement.
        Which "big cap" are you referring to?

Comment

The big cap is 560uf, if I parallel 2 270uf capacitors will it be happy with 540uf? I attached a pic to my previous post.
          Last edited by MikeRWK; 01-23-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Are you sure heating C517 changed the operation or were you heating one of the smaller caps like C519 C520
            You should be able to try the two 270µf and see if it makes a difference
            Last edited by R_J; 01-23-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

grounding screws are missing

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                grounding screws are missing
                It's screwed down now and there's no difference.

Comment

I tested this pnp transistor and it seems to be dead, could that cause my problem? It was pretty close to the big capacitor where I heated the board with a hairdryer.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Is this V503???? Explain "dead", shorted, open, leaky ? If it is this transistor it is the vcc switch for the main and pfc ic's
                    Slow turn on is likely due to bad caps, C536 & C531, standby startup cap. & vcc supply cap.
                    C519 & C520 are vcc & start cap for the main ic N504

Have you checked the voltage across the main filter C517? check it in standby and then again when the tv is turned on. this voltage should be 160vdc in standby and go up to around (200vdc?) when tv is on.
                    Last edited by R_J; 01-23-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Standby is 162-163 and when I try and power it up it goes up to 206 and settles at 199 while hissing. Then it goes crazy and the voltage fluctuates https://streamable.com/wjr9s6 I was pressing the volume buttons in the video.

Also is this resistor supposed to be hot to the touch?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is this V503???? Explain "dead", shorted, open, leaky ? If it is this transistor it is the vcc switch for the main and pfc ic's
                        Slow turn on is likely due to bad caps, C536 & C531, standby startup cap. & vcc supply cap.
                        C519 & C520 are vcc & start cap for the main ic N504

Have you checked the voltage across the main filter C517? check it in standby and then again when the tv is turned on. this voltage should be 160vdc in standby and go up to around (200vdc?) when tv is on.
                        By dead I meant open, I tested it according to this video https://youtu.be/GFitoQSbLvA?t=302 , while I don't understand the language I see what he's doing.

Comment

As R_J says, some of those capacitors do look as though the tops are doming. Are you certain they are not??
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by dick_barton; 01-24-2021, 03:45 AM.
                          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Agree, either there's some doming or it's one hellofa optical illusion.

Comment

They don't look to be doming but I'll swap them out.
                              Attached Files

Comment

By dead I meant open, I tested it according to this video https://youtu.be/GFitoQSbLvA?t=302 , while I don't understand the language I see what he's doing.
                                If the transistor, which I am guessing is V503 was open, the tv would not operate at all. It is best to check the emitter and collector voltage when the tv is turned ON, Using HOT GROUND. this will give tell you if you have proper vcc voltage for the primary ic's to operate.
                                The main filter voltage going from 160vdc to 200vdc indicates the pfc circuit is working. I would replace those small electrolytics in the primary circuits, they can go weak and cause this type of problem.
                                Last edited by R_J; 01-24-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

If the transistor, which I am guessing is V503 was open, the tv would not operate at all. It is best to check the emitter and collector voltage when the tv is turned ON, Using HOT GROUND. this will give tell you if you have proper vcc voltage for the primary ic's to operate.
                                  The main filter voltage going from 160vdc to 200vdc indicates the pfc circuit is working. I would replace those small electrolytics in the primary circuits, they can go weak and cause this type of problem.
                                  I checked the voltages on the transistor the pic with the meter illuminated is Emitter and the other pic is Collector voltage. I replaced all the capacitors besides 4 that I don't have at the moment and it seems more likely to power up when its first plugged in but its still the same.

It's occurred to me I'm going to need a capacitance meter to make things easier in the future.

Comment

I checked the voltages on the transistor the pic with the meter illuminated is Emitter and the other pic is Collector voltage. I replaced all the capacitors besides 4 that I don't have at the moment and it seems more likely to power up when its first plugged in but its still the same.

It's occurred to me I'm going to need a capacitance meter to make things easier in the future.
                                    Ebay is loaded with them, about 7-15 bucks, on a slow boat from china, can get a closer shipper but it's about double the price.
                                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 01-24-2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                      Ebay is loaded with them, about 7-15 bucks, on a slow boat from china, can get a closer shipper but it's about double the price.
                                      I usually pull them from working tvs with broken screens, which is why I really need to buy a capacitance meter.

Comment

I asked for the emitter & collector voltages to see if the ic's had the proper vcc, Since you did'nt post it here, I suggest you look up the ic's datasheet and see if they are correct.

Comment

Working...
                                        X