Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got lots of junk, what should I do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got lots of junk, what should I do with it?

Originally posted by jpyerry View Post
    I am a enthusiast of vintage pcs, if you have anything that is pre 386 era, I would be interested if the shipping is reasonable enough.

Also, I've been hunting for a couple of specific components, namely: a Guillemot PCI 12MB Voodoo 2 Maxi Gamer 3D2 add-on video card, ATI VGA Wonder ISA video card, SCSI hard drives less than 500MB, Black 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drives, Black AT tower cases, quality AT power supplies, Roland LAPC-I sound card, original Sound Blaster ISA sound cards, original Ad-lib sound cards, really any historically "significant" sound cards (I'm kind of a sound card enthusiast and collect them for curiosity's sake). If you have any of the above listed components, I may be interested in actually purchasing them from you.

Justin
    I have a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold and a SB 16.
    Last edited by ncovert; 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncovert View Post
      Not to hijack your thread, but I also have a SB 16 (or some other SB ISA audio) sitting.

I used to also have a better one from an HP vectra (MMX 133) with a special jack for a front case audio (headphones and volume slider)... but I'm not sure what I did with those
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I do appreciate the offer, unfortunately I have both of those cards. Actually using the AWE 64 Gold was what kind of started the interest in sound cards. I used to think the sound card doesn't really matter, but one day at a friend's house, we played TIE Fighter with the AWE 64 Gold and I was just amazed at how much better it sounded over the nameless sound card I had in my Packard Bell computer. Now after finding out how much better the Sierra games sound with Roland's cards, I am after an LAPC-I.

But, yeah, I really do appreciate the offer, but I do already have both of those cards, but thank you very much for looking.

Yours,
        Justin

Comment

I wonder what model SB16 sound card it is, as there are quite a few. (Curious!) And a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold? Lucky.

I love vintage hardware, yet I don't primarily collect them. I obtained an SB16 CT2830 for a 486 build. I don't even have an AT case, at least, not yet.
          Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
          I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ami Sapphire View Post
            I wonder what model SB16 sound card it is, as there are quite a few. (Curious!) And a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold? Lucky.

I love vintage hardware, yet I don't primarily collect them. I obtained an SB16 CT2830 for a 486 build. I don't even have an AT case, at least, not yet.
            SB model CT4170.

Comment

SB model CT4170.
              I have two of those cards, mainly because Sis wanted to hear distorted Genesis music through an archaic DOS Genesis emulator (Genecyst) on an old computer, and I took the original one out of that PC to place in another computer. It only worked with that one version, as it was fixed in later versions.

That CT4170's Vibra16XV chipset has a quirk regarding its Creative (Win3.x) or Windows 9x Volume Control with that old Genesis emulator, as the notes went off-balance depending on how loud it was set. It was odd yet interesting.

The original CT4170 I obtained eight years ago actually has all Rubycon capacitors.
              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Find a local recycling center. Mine takes the stuff for free. This was my last load... I'll be due for another one come spring.

Unless your local Goodwill specifically takes machines to be recycled, you're not doing them any favors by dropping off your junk.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                  Find a local recycling center. Mine takes the stuff for free. This was my last load... I'll be due for another one come spring.

Unless your local Goodwill specifically takes machines to be recycled, you're not doing them any favors by dropping off your junk.
                  *sheds tear* especially with that rare Hotwheels PC.

Comment

A rare piece of garbage. K6-II 350! woo!
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I have a good place to get rid of my unwanted stuff. In my nearest town, there is a charity computer workshop. They basicly take in computers and other electronics from people for free, fix them up and then give then away for free to poor people who can't afford computers. They donate anywhere from high end P3s to core 2 duos. I know the owner. They only sell some stuff to pay the rent for the rooms. Whenever i have unwanted stuff, i just donate it to him. So far its 2pcs, 1 laptop, ~10 laptop ddr2 memory modules, cables, graphics cards and 3 motherboards. Most of the stuff needs fixing but he can do it. Next weekend, another socket 939 machine and a box of parts is going. The great thing is, that he is a good guy and most of the time will give stuff in return. They now part out most of the under 2ghz machines. I have got 1 p3 machine, 1 dead duron machine, and half of a p4. Also lots of small memory modules, p3 cpus and some dead motherboards. Also pci-e video cards. Currently, im trying to fix a couple of those cards and motherboards, and then donate them back. Its a win-win for everyone. I get stuff i need and get rid of stuff i dont need, same for him.
                      I can put text here?!

Comment

@ncovert: Do you have any Yamaha YMF7xx sound cards (particularly the YMF724/744/754)?

Comment

Originally posted by DJduck View Post
                          In my nearest town, there is a charity computer workshop. They basicly take in computers and other electronics from people for free, fix them up and then give then away for free to poor people who can't afford computers. They donate anywhere from high end P3s to core 2 duos.
                          Well, around here, anyway, everyone's foaming at the mouth for the latest failmart acer/hp windoze 8 special.

I'll sum it up like this:

You Couldn't Even Give Away A C2D.

[rant]

I don't work on other peoples' computers anymore, as I don't need "the attitude." Don't wanna pay to fix it right once? Want to ignore my advice/experience on browsers/security/etc? Fine. Keep paying dork squad to make it worse. Keep imagining it's "a better deal."

[/rant]

Sorry to hi-jack.
                          "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                          Originally posted by shango066
                          All style and no substance.
                          Originally posted by smashstuff30
                          guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                          guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Momaka: No, never heard of those cards.

Kaboom: What you say about not being able to give away a C2D is true. People here are so gullible, that if they buy a TOL state-of-the-art computer, and the next day they see a new ad for a new thing, they will immediately buy THAT system and then hang on to their old one for ten years, then they will put it on craigslist for $100 firm and claim the reason is "they paid $3,000 dollars for it in 2003." Then a few days later, I am going through town, and I spot it on the curb. So, we stop, I get out and throw it in the trunk, and we go home. Then it ends up in a million pieces scattered through boxes, and then ir collects dust until I get off my lazy butt and test it, then put the thing back together and find some random or obscure use for it.
                            *end of rant, sorry to hijack*

Comment

Momaka: No, never heard of those cards.
                              Well, if you spot any audio cards with Yamaha chips, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                I have a PCI one in ze junker bin... Should I let you know?
                                sigpic

Comment

Looking for some vintage MIDI action? IIRC - Yamaha was the best in MIDI conversion. They actually released several MIDI songs with their soundcard drivers to showcase their drivers... and I remember being blown away by the sound quality from a simple ~50kb file.

Edit - The Yamaha XG chipset is what I was thinking about. When it first came out, there was simply nothing other than a .wav clip that could compare.
                                  Last edited by dood; 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM.
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Actually, the reason I like those older XG cards is because they just sound really good IMO and they have a really loud output (unlike much of the modern audio cards).

Comment

Actually, the reason I like those older XG cards is because they just sound really good IMO and they have a really loud output (unlike much of the modern audio cards).
                                      Yup, I have two XG's actually. One's a PCI card, the other is on a micron pII/PIII katmai board. Don't have a use for either...
                                      sigpic

Comment

If I were you, I'd remove everything from they're case (well maybe not the 60 computers, but at least the interesting ones), and throw the empty cases away to recycle. That's already a lot of room won. You can remove and sell the CPUs as a lot, the graphics cards, the RAM, stuff like that, but you certainly won't sell 60 Pentium III-4 machines, unless you give them.
                                        I'd be interested in the CPUs and graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          Yup, I have two XG's actually. One's a PCI card, the other is on a micron pII/PIII katmai board. Don't have a use for either...
                                          Nice. Let me know what model the PCI one is. The older, the better .

Comment

Working...
                                          X