Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Audio Equipment
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #321
DarthBoz12

City & State: Sacramento, CA
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Repairing Alesis M1 Active mk2 Monitor Speakers

Thanks for that. There is about 3/8" on 3 of the leads that has broken off. I have some magnet wire on order and plan on re-wrapping the whole thing.

Once I get that done, I can go back to the other stuff. I have gone through the whole thread and it is quite informative. I plan on relocating C8 to the C14 position. So far I have been pretty lucky compared to others as mine is not blowing fuses and hasn't obviously blown out any components.
DarthBoz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #322
vshitikov

City & State: Paris
My Country: France

Hi, guys. Great thread.
Just purchased a set of broken speakers here in France in a hope to repair them. I'm electronic engineer so it should be doable, but while reading this thread I started having serous doubts if this is a reliable solution. The initial design is quite poor and unreliable. I think batches of capacitors were faulty when Alesis first built them but the rootcause of all is a poor thermal management. That's why everything blows in a semi-random manner. Do you think that by recapping the speaker with decent capacitors and replacing faulty components will bring speaker to a long life? Or it is a matter of time when it will blow again? I'm worried as it might catch fire or something as I often leave speakers unattended? Do you heave return of experience of a lifetime with the recapped units?
Thank you all for this work.
vshitikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #323
Khron
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Valkeakoski
My Country: Finland
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

I've recapped* two pairs of these Alesis monitors, years ago (whenever i posted here about them), and later sold them off to two different friends, and i've yet to hear any complaints about either pair, so...

* Recapped = using Japanese electrolytics, plus moving that Vcc capacitor from next to the heatsink, to next to the UC384x, and moved the ceramic cap to underneith the chip
Old 10-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #324
vshitikov

City & State: Paris
My Country: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khron View Post
I've recapped* two pairs of these Alesis monitors, years ago (whenever i posted here about them), and later sold them off to two different friends, and i've yet to hear any complaints about either pair, so...

* Recapped = using Japanese electrolytics, plus moving that Vcc capacitor from next to the heatsink, to next to the UC384x, and moved the ceramic cap to underneith the chip
Thank you for your reply. I continue width the project. Changed the caps with the nippon chemi-con, now will change some transistors and maybe PWM circuit as I have no means to test it reliably and every time I power up the speaker with at least on burned component it burns something else. I also discovered that my 5A fuse not only fuses but explodes
vshitikov is offline   Reply With Quote