This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Good day to all.Im Thilak from Sri lanka.Presently working as an electrical engineer in marine field.Im interesting to learn about mother board chip level repairs.So i need some help to solve this my problem. I'm new to this forum and have stumbled across it while in search to a possible solution to a problem I have with a Toshiba satellite Pro C650.

My prob is - totally ded laptop no lights on the laptop at all, either with ac in or out.(same with battery)

I have opened the laptop up and over the past few days been running a multimeter across the board trying to see where about the power stops.
    I do know that both fuses are OK and the battery terminals are not giving out any voltage.Finally i founded that c6208 capacitor was leak.After replace the capacitor system start to work.But my battery is not charging.Only 3.1V coming in to battery while AC adapter connected.I have noted C6410 capacitor also shows low ohms reading while it connected to board.it shows about 13 ohms.After remove it from the board cap found OK.Pls help me for further diagnostic.
    Anyway, thanks in advance for any help & advice

Comment

Hey everyone. DuderMcMerican here. Long time reader, first-time poster. Just want to say thanks for all of your help!

Comment

Welp, it appears that I still cannot post a thread in the General Capacitor Questions & Issues forum because I'm a newb, so here goes...

I replaced a few capacitors in my PCB, and I jumpered a burnt trace.

The jumper works nicely, but one concern I have is that one of the 47uf caps is showing 0 resistance on analog multimeter. My understanding is that on-board cap tests with multimeter are all but useless EXCEPT when cap reads 0 ohms (needle pegs and doesn't regress back) or infinite resistance (needle does nuttin). In my case--0 ohms--the online says it's a shorted (bad) cap. Well, i pulled one leg out of the board and tested resistance again, and the meter read exactly how it should (needle pops to no resistance but quickly regresses back to greater resistance)..

I went on yahoo to google the meaning of these results (thinkin maybe there's a short elsewhere on the board??), but all i found is that ppl says it's a bad cap.. But it's a brand new Japanese cap from Digikey and it tests fine when disconnected from board, so I'm thinkin it's prob not the cap, but idk.. I'm hoping I can just chalk it up to "cap tests with ohm meters aren't reliable when cap is in circuit..." and not worry about it, but other info suggests 0 ohms--even when in circuit on board--is trouble. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Btw, the analog multimeter i use has max ohm setting of only x1k, in case that matters, but i did also try my cheapo digi meter with max 2000k ohms and it still read <1ohms with no regression.

Comment

Welp, it appears that I still cannot post a thread in the General Capacitor Questions & Issues forum because I'm a newb, so here goes...

I replaced a few capacitors in my PCB, and I jumpered a burnt trace.

The jumper works nicely, but one concern I have is that one of the 47uf caps is showing 0 resistance on analog multimeter. My understanding is that on-board cap tests with multimeter are all but useless EXCEPT when cap reads 0 ohms (needle pegs and doesn't regress back) or infinite resistance (needle does nuttin). In my case--0 ohms--the online says it's a shorted (bad) cap. Well, i pulled one leg out of the board and tested resistance again, and the meter read exactly how it should (needle pops to no resistance but quickly regresses back to greater resistance)..

I went on yahoo to google the meaning of these results (thinkin maybe there's a short elsewhere on the board??), but all i found is that ppl says it's a bad cap.. But it's a brand new Japanese cap from Digikey and it tests fine when disconnected from board, so I'm thinkin it's prob not the cap, but idk.. I'm hoping I can just chalk it up to "cap tests with ohm meters aren't reliable when cap is in circuit..." and not worry about it, but other info suggests 0 ohms--even when in circuit on board--is trouble. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Btw, the analog multimeter i use has max ohm setting of only x1k, in case that matters, but i did also try my cheapo digi meter with max 2000k ohms and it still read <1ohms with no regression.

Comment

hello,
            i am old in electronic equipment repair to component level
            i am in belgrade serbia.
            i want to share my expirience and get help with stuff i am dealing now,for example repair of computer motherboards.

kind regards,

nebojsa

Comment

Hi,
              I'm an electrical engineer. I've never had much experience with component level stuff since I was in engineering school 30 years ago. That's changing now that my 6 year old Panasonic TC-P50VT25 has a 10 blink code.
              I thought one of the caps on the power board was swelled, so I just replaced it. But still the 10 blink code.
              I'm reading some, but I will be asking questions shortly.

Comment

My name is Nolan, I'm 18, still in school, and came to this forum to fix a TV that my brother found in a dumpster.

Comment

Hello, I live in New Zealand and I've recently brought some gear out of storage to find new problems that I hope to address on this forum.

Comment

Hi guys and (?) gals..

I'm a retired tool and die maker and IT manager from Norway. Worked in prototype development and field testing mostly.

Used to live on the left coast in the , then moved back to Norway in '05.

Found this place when my Viewsonic VX-900 decided to go tits up.

Comment

Hi,
                      Long time lurker, new North Carolina member.
                      Interests: Sailing, electronics, microprocessors, metal work (micro lathe and CNC mill, general fixing things.
                      Professional background: Retired engineer with career in automotive Marketing, Operations and IT. Following early retirement, I have been involved in Yacht design and construction in China for over 10 years.
                      I am here to learn and occasionally may have some ideas that help.
                      Graham

Comment

Hello My name is Daniel. I am from Houston, TX. I am an IT person by trade. 35 years old.

Comment

Hello my name is James om from Houston and need help with my tv

Comment

Hello shepa401 here. Interested in learning to fix my fairly new new instead of purchasing a new one. This site seems to be full of good info from the lurking that i have been doing the last couple of days.

Comment

Hello, I am Antonio from Jamaica.

I am a student of the HCIT here on the island studying to become a network administrator. My interests don't stop there however, I have always been interested in the way circuits work and have been spending some time educating myself on how to repair them.

I look forward to learning as much as I can here and, in time, contributing in anyway I can.

Comment

Hi, my name is Luís and i'm from Portugal.

I registered on this forum to see if i can get any help on getting new capacitators for my graphics cards since they exploded and they are rare in portuguese stores!

thanks! looking to learning over here.

Comment

Hello, i'm andrea from italy, i really love repair because i hate to throw away what can really be reused by someone and give joy, so i'm here and i hope you can help me

Comment

Greetings. My older than normal father first used computing machinery during WWII. Near the end of his career he used PDPs. I started where he left off and have now worked in the electronic/computer industry for decades.

Comment

Hello , I'm trying to fix my dell 2407 WF monitor after first having failed.
                                      Been around electronics for many years but this modern stuff is a bit of a challenge.

Comment

hai i am capra,
                                        nice to joint here...

i have a problem with my acer aspire 4349
                                        when i plug charger connector into the dc in, the indicator lamp in the charger suddenly dead. i think the mainboard of this laptop experience a shorted electricity. can anyone help me which komponen that i have to replace or remove
                                        thanks

Comment

hello!

Comment

Working...
                                          X