Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philco 55 Inch 4k LCD, Is this a side tab issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philco 55 Inch 4k LCD, Is this a side tab issue?

Hello, I'm trying not to scrap the TV for parts, the original issue was that there was no display, backlights came on and audio worked.
    As someone kindly shared on the electronica-pt site, that was a panel fault, I did the tape cutoff method on pins 9~13(right to left) of the right side flat. Then some image would start appearing on the right (defective) side, while the left one has no problems.
    But this looks terrible, I've also inspected the display and tried touching around the side tabs on the right side, nothing changed, also no shorts or anything weird on the panel boards. The display works until about 70% horizontally then it fades to black on this yellow/red shade, there is also image retention on it.
    This TV is the cheapest crap sold around here, no wonders it lasted 2 and a half years at best.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Biruslapio; 08-05-2020, 02:28 AM.

Re: Philco 55 Inch 4k LCD, Is this a side tab issue?

Only a thought but maybe it's a side tab issue and not tape cut-off method that's needed.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I did the tape method because there was no display otherwise, after that at least I could see that the right side could kinda display some image, the TV is not mine, that's why I haven't jumped the gun to cut the side tabs, there is also one faint horizontal line on the bad side.
      Also I've searched all this forum for a fault that looked like this and all the side tab threads didn't look similar.

Comment

Did you check the panel strip for shorted capacitors. This problem appears to be on the increase.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

I did, nothing unusual found, not even darkening, also the side tabs look good, not charred, measured the panel PCBs and compared readings from right to left side, they were in margin of error.
          If side tabs are really the fault I will contact the owner and inform him about it.
          Last edited by Biruslapio; 08-05-2020, 03:44 AM.

Comment

the tape cutoff method usually does not "completely work" with side tabs but it depends on the design. Can you post a picture of the side tabs along with the bottom edge / driver boards of the panel.

Comment

Following are the requested pictures, hard to get a good one of the COF.
              There are no ICs on any of the panel PCB, only capacitors and resistors.
              Manufactured by Panda.
              Attached Files

Comment

thanks. The signals / powering move from the bottom edge board to the side tabs thru the last portion of the edge board at the corner of the panel and the last bottom tab of the edge board. You might check in that area of the panel to see if there is any issue / contamination, cracks, etc.

The second picture that you posted is "good". Please re-state how this display is achieve just ensure our understanding. In what ever mode this is, can you input a signal with a test pattern (e.g. smpte color bars... from a computer / usb file or on some DVD extra material). It is quite likely that the set can be saved by removing the tabs from the bad side but do go there yet.

Comment

In my first post I have a fullscreen white signal on the third picture, the image goes as follows > past the center to the right portion of the display, image retention starts to happen progressively, the farther it is to the edge the more retention it has, nothing is displayed past the red/yellow area.
                  When you first power on the TV after some minutes the screen looks perfect (all black) until the Philco logo shows and disappear, leaving retention on the defective side.
                  The first picture on my post #1 is the TV with the right side flats completely unplugged, it always has this fault even when off, that's what is making me doubt about the tabs.
                  Here are pictures of both rightmost and leftmost part that has traces going to the COFs, both of them has some markings on different sections, I don't know if that is burned or something else, there is no visible damage on the traces that goes through the glass.
                  Attached Files

Comment

just to be clear, there are tabs along each side with no boards attached them AND also tabs at the bottom of the panel with boards attached to them.
                    The pictures before this post is of the side tabs, right?

Comment

There are tabs on both L/R sides connected directly to the glass, and on the bottom there is a right and left PCB, it's a normal panel.
                      The pictures are from the vertical COFs that are bonded to the PCB on the bottom of the panel, I uploaded them because there are traces there that leads to the side tabs.

Comment

put this photo on usb drive and play it on the tv.. show us the result of whole screen.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here it is, this is the screen aftes 5 minutes of this fixed image.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Biruslapio View Post
                            Here it is, this is the screen aftes 5 minutes of this fixed image.
                            you have another image displayed about no signal... this make me judgment on T-CON in case the image didn't get better after you reset it to factory condition from service memu

Comment

This "no signal" is from when i first powered on the TV, I had plug HDMI in to take the photo, before that there was no signal, like I said before, the whole right side has image retention, the closer to the border the more it stays, only vanishing after shutting down the TV.

This is another photo with the TV powered on immediately without anything in the way of testing, sorry for spamming the forum with photos, but I believe it's for a good cause.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Biruslapio; 08-05-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1596615130
                                Are those double images on the right side of the screen, I.E. 'SEM SINAL', and you can also see faint horizontal lines too.
                                So far it looks like Gate drive issue (right side tab).
                                Last edited by budm; 08-05-2020, 03:47 PM.
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Biruslapio View Post
                                  This "no signal" is from when i first powered on the TV, I had plug HDMI in to take the photo, before that there was no signal, like I said before, the whole right side has image retention, the closer to the border the more it stays, only vanishing after shutting down the TV for 1 minute.

This is another photo with the TV powered on immediately without anything in the way of testing, sorry for spamming the forum with photos, but I believe it's for a good cause.
                                  sorry, you are talking wrong... no signal show with the photo mean its burned and LCD didn't refresh the image rate after you play the TestChart.jpg ... T-CON responsible on this refresh rate not the display... try first factory reset from service menu not from user setting menu

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1596661844
                                    how this no signal when was on the screen keep show after you display the photo???

this fault refresh rate...

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                                      sorry, you are talking wrong... no signal show with the photo mean its burned and LCD didn't refresh the image rate after you play the TestChart.jpg ... T-CON responsible on this refresh rate not the display... try first factory reset from service menu not from user setting menu
                                      I just did factory reset via the service menu, TV shut down and powered on asking initial config but nothing changed about the LCD refreshing on the bad side, the left one is correct, could it still be T-CON?

Edit: there seems to be retention beginning near the center of the screen, and also a horizontal line coming from the right.
                                      Last edited by Biruslapio; 08-05-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

unzip and put this 3 photos more with the one you have.. and play them like slide show... see did the next image mixed with previous one
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X