Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where i can find this capacitators for this 7870?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where i can find this capacitators for this 7870?

hi!

my 1st post here, i think this place is my best choice to found the answer to my problem! i hope i'm not wrong.

sorry if my english is bad at some parts, since i'm portuguese, i'm not that fluent :p

so, the problem. i have a 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB. i started to have some artifacts some days ago and after searching, and since the card's warranty has finished way long ago, i tried the "oven reflow method".

i inserted the pcb into the oven, with all the precautions, for 8 minutes. the first 5 minutes were pretty standard, but in the 6th minute, some capacacitators started to explode inside my oven...

by this time, i was so sad. i quickly turned the oven off, pulled the card out, and let it rest.

so, now, i have a graphics card, something like 15 exploded capacitators.

i haven't lost my hope in fixing the graphics card and started asking some local eletronics shop about the capacitators, where i can find them, if those shop sell them. all of them said it's rare in my city to sell them.. so, no luck.

i would like to ask you guys, where i can find the type of capacitators that i need on online shops, since i can't find them in local shops.

it would be very nice if the shops were in the EU zone, so that the shipping is faster, if they aren't, there is no problem!

so about the capacitators:

what i see on them:

(with blue and silver colors)
    RP143
    16V

(with blue and silver colors)
    R123
    2.5V

(with pink and silver colors)
    UVG
    2.5V
    CHA

thanks for all the help in advance,
    luis.

Re: Where i can find this capacitators for this 7870?

After some research i found out that this caps are from a company called Elite.. and Elite it's not that well talked about..

which brands for the new caps you guys recommend? i was thinking on getting APAQ for the ones with 270uf and 16v and for the 330uf and 2.5 dont really know which brand to choose of.

thanks. any help?

Comment

Before getting new caps, first finish baking the card in the oven. Don't worry if more of the old caps pop - you will be replacing all of them anyways, because the intense heat has likely ruined every single one already (even if some have not popped yet and look okay).

This is one reason I *never* recommend people to bake equipment with aluminum electrolytic/polymer caps in the oven. Unfortunately, there are too many popular YouTube "fix" videos that are full of bad and/or partial information.

Anyways, as far as replacement caps, APAQ will work if that's what you can readily find.
      For other choices, see this post:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...74&postcount=2

Basically any of those brands and series I listed there should work. Just get the same voltage and capacitance (or a notch higher) as the original caps on your card. Let us know how it all goes.
      Last edited by momaka; 04-01-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

thanks very much for your help.

i have some questions, if could answer to them i would thank you.

1 - It's better to finish baking the card with all caps on or if i can, remove them all and bake it? Is there any difference?

2 - I live in Portugal, and since all the shops here don't have the capacitators i need, you know any place in Europe zone where i can buy them with low shipping? I already searched all the shops on this post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613 but all the sites i searched asked about 18€+ for the shipping which is a little bit too much.

Comment

Originally posted by datsnow View Post
          1 - It's better to finish baking the card with all caps on or if i can, remove them all and bake it? Is there any difference?
          No difference.

I guess remove them if you don't want to hear the rest of them pop too

2 - I live in Portugal, and since all the shops here don't have the capacitators i need, you know any place in Europe zone where i can buy them with low shipping? I already searched all the shops on this post https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=613 but all the sites i searched asked about 18€+ for the shipping which is a little bit too much.
          I'm not sure what badcaps.net charges anymore for international shipping, but you can always contact Topcat and ask.

Here are the poly caps available at the BCN store:
          https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=polymer

And if bad comes to worse and your video card has enough space, then maybe you could go with ultra-low ESR electrolytic caps. But we will see. Let us know if the shipping costs badcaps.net store works out for you or not.
          Last edited by momaka; 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            No difference.

I guess remove them if you don't want to hear the rest of them pop too

I'm not sure what badcaps.net charges anymore for international shipping, but you can always contact Topcat and ask.

Here are the poly caps available at the BCN store:
            https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=polymer

And if bad comes to worse and your video card has enough space, then maybe you could go with ultra-low ESR electrolytic caps. But we will see. Let us know if the shipping costs badcaps.net store works out for you or not.

big bump on this

so after all this time i got all the caps that i need and have bought along a baku 702b rework station since i'm starting myself on reballing but have been facing a problem while trying to repair my 7870.

so, i got the caps some months ago and back then i tried to use my 15€ soldering iron that i got from a eletronics store to do the job. the solder in the caps legs would not melt for nothing, i tried again, and again, and again and nothing. ok. i created a topic on a portuguese eletronics forum about the solder not melting for nothing and they said me to buy a soldering gun since it was more powerful and so i bought one. and once again, the solder wouldnt melt. I thought to myself: "Since i will be starting on reballing stuff and i will buy more powerful equipment i will give a try by then." Some days ago my rework station arrived at my home and i tried to remove the caps and nothing. Same results as the other 2 soldering irons. I tried lead free and leaded solder and none of them worked too. When i put a lil bit of solder in the tip of the soldering iron and then make the tip touch one of the legs of the cap the solder seems to "slide" around the leg of the cap and it doesnt join into the solder of the cap. already tried to heat the solder on the caps legs with the hot air gun on the rework station with the temp set to 150/160c and then after applying heat get the soldering iron to try to melt it but the solder wouldnt melt once again. tried to apply water flux on the caps legs and remove with soldering iron after and no results too. tried the desoldering wire too but the solder wont melt too.

I hope i explained myself good enough, i just want my card to work again :P

Thanks!
            Last edited by datsnow; 12-22-2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

so, i got the caps some months ago and back then i tried to use my 15€ soldering iron that i got from a eletronics store to do the job. the solder in the caps legs would not melt for nothing, i tried again, and again, and again and nothing.
              How much power is that regular soldering iron rated for?
              For video cards, typically you need at least 50 Watts, and that's with a very good, thick tip. That said, even if you have an iron rated for 60 Watts or more, the high-power unregulated soldering irons tend to run very hot and can easily damage traces if you're not careful.

ok. i created a topic on a portuguese eletronics forum about the solder not melting for nothing and they said me to buy a soldering gun since it was more powerful and so i bought one. and once again, the solder wouldnt melt.
              Soldering guns are a thing of the past. They are nearly useless for lead-free solder and modern electronics. Back in the days when I was learning to solder, in many cases I had better luck with my 30 Watts soldering iron and a heat gun (used for preheating big jobs, like motherboards and video cards) than I did with a 60 Watt soldering gun.

So I don't think it's your fault you couldn't solder anything with that soldering gun. I had the same trouble too.

I thought to myself: "Since i will be starting on reballing stuff and i will buy more powerful equipment i will give a try by then." Some days ago my rework station arrived at my home and i tried to remove the caps and nothing. Same results as the other 2 soldering irons. I tried lead free and leaded solder and none of them worked too. When i put a lil bit of solder in the tip of the soldering iron and then make the tip touch one of the legs of the cap the solder seems to "slide" around the leg of the cap and it doesnt join into the solder of the cap. already tried to heat the solder on the caps legs with the hot air gun on the rework station with the temp set to 150/160c and then after applying heat get the soldering iron to try to melt it but the solder wouldnt melt once again. tried to apply water flux on the caps legs and remove with soldering iron after and no results too.
              I don't mean to put you off, but I think that BAKU 702b rework station doesn't have a very good soldering iron either. I have a similar 2-in-1 station like that - a KADA 852D+. The soldering iron uses the 900M -type tips, and that's the main problem here. Genuine Hakko 900M tips fit tightly on the heating element and have better temperature control. But the cheap stations have TERRIBLE quality tips. I have to crank mine to 320C or more to solder leaded solder. And lead-free... forget it.
              But even good quality Hakko 900M tips can't touch a soldering iron that uses T12 / T15 tips. And here is why:
              http://m.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=559417

That said, here is an entry-level soldering iron with a T12 tip that should be able to deal with those pesky lead-free solder joints:
              https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EU-p...9-f4639b08020c

Also, the water-soluble (water flux) may not be rated for lead-free soldering. In general, try using RMA-type flux. Regular Rosin fluxes will burn up too quickly at high temperatures, and that can be problematic when trying to solder lead-free joints.

tried the desoldering wire too but the solder wont melt too.
              De-soldering braid (i.e. de-soldering wire) can only be used on boards with not very thick traces - mostly old, single-sided boards, or double-sided boards with thin traces. I really don't ever use de-soldering braid, though. Only use it when trying to clean a BGA chip or BGA pad on a board.

Regardless of what soldering iron you are trying to use, make sure your tip is clean and well tinned. I clean my tips on a wet sponge or wet paper towel, but brass wool is also recommended. I then apply regular leaded solder to my tips to tin them.
              Last edited by momaka; 12-27-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

What happened? Did you fix it?

Comment

Working...
                X