Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem flashing graphic card bios with spi programmer

Hello..

i've bricked my old msi 670 card, due to interrupt power while flashing.
    So i want to reflash it again with ch341 spi programmer.

The source of large collection of bios is from tech powerup.
    The problem is, even i've already found the spesific bios for my card, the size of file from tpu is different from the bios size.

tpu: 96kb
    file size from spi programmer: 256kb

What is the difference between both of file?
    Because while i was tried to flash it with as programmer, it cause "error writing"
    ASprogrammer need same exact size for writing..

Is there a way to convert graphics card bios from TPU to flashable bin spi programmer?

Thanks alot.

Re: Problem flashing graphic card bios with spi programmer

My guess is that you probably didnt run a detect on the chip before pulling the oil bios? For example you could specify the chip to be a 512kb chip and it will just read and copy the 256k over twice.

You should confirm the size of the chip, then find the right bios for it.
    Successfully completed Repairs:

Current repairs:

Comment

Originally posted by taxxin View Post
      My guess is that you probably didnt run a detect on the chip before pulling the oil bios? For example you could specify the chip to be a 512kb chip and it will just read and copy the 256k over twice.

You should confirm the size of the chip, then find the right bios for it.
      mmm, i've already run detect on the chip on asprogrammer and neo programmer. i'm using ch341 as interface.
      click read and click save.
      The size of saved .bin file is 256kb. and size of tpu .rom file is different for the exact card.

When i tried to flash it, it show error "Verification error on address: 00000004"

Comment

1. I don't know this card, but check whether this is the only one bios chip on the card, sometimes there might be another SPI chip for another purpuse present, or a chip which looks like an spi chip, but isn't one.
        2. Check the name of the SPI chip and download the datasheet, compare with what CH341 discovered
        3. Place some pictures of the card and spi chip area, maybe somebody can download the bios contents from the same model of card to go sure
        4. Sometimes bioses can't be read/programmed in-circuit (other devices on the card steel power, and CH341 power supply can't handle this), you can try to power the card, see if SPI chip is powered, and program then in-circuit. Finallly if this does not work you need to desolder the chip, and program it off-circuit, then solder on again. Usually if CH341 can't discover the spi chip, then also programming does not work.
        5. Don't forget first to clear the spi chip before programming, maybe this is the cause of the error ?
        6. Before clearing the spi chip, read the contents of the chip and back it up. Don't know if GPU's, but eg. motherboard bioses must be sometimes "personalized" with serial number /UUID/MAC Address/etc., eg. ASUS mobo's. If you don't transfer this data to a downloaded "raw" bios with some kind of tool, the card/mobo may not work correctly.
        Last edited by DynaxSC; 08-12-2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X