X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

"I am not a number/Robot I am a free man"

"I am here therefore I AM!" (NOT a Spam ROBOT!) LOL

My first PC was in the 70's, a (Magnovox?) Pong Console...PC....get it?

Started in the 1980's with a Commodore PET in school (forgot which grade) then in 1984 bought a Commodore 64 & 1541 Hard Drive with summer job money! Then within a year a 1702 monitor.
    The VERY first thing I did with the C64 was erase the $40 Multipak floppy I bought........duh! (What company doesn't put a write protect on commercial bought floppy software?).......It was several years later before I was able to restore it with a copy from a friend. ( :

Played with a friends Atari 800 with Floppy drive.
    Then in 1990 bought an Amiga 2000HD.
    Started fixing electronics as soon as I started school for family, their friends, word of mouth, school mates, etc.
    Got involved in selling PC hardware at shows while in school.

In school we had state of the art 8088's to work with.............. \ :
    But we learned to work to component level and about things todays PC repair guys would have no clue about (or need to know, unless working on an old 'dedicated' proprietary system).
    Graduated from ITT Tech VA USA in 1993 with an A.O.S. E.E.T.

Used a 486DX in a business I managed in 1993
    Messed around with Dos and Windows 3.1 and 95/98 over those years for individuals and some organizations.
    In '98 stared assembling PC's for resale.
    Eventually In the 2000's got an Amiga 500, Amiga 4000 Toaster/Flyer
    (probably the best all round home computer imo. WAY more efficient then ANY showing to this day byte for byte, and for what comes out on the screen and audio IN PROPER SYNC! without fail........)
    But haven't had time to really mess with them ) ;

Currently running my business in electronics repair, though mostly only get Flat panel Tv's now a days.

Miss the old days when you could reuse parts and get out an order over the phone in less than 10 minutes, or buy parts locally.
    Now you have to spend hours looking for the correct board with 5 different sticker part numbers each 20 characters long, and for a reasonable price............Not including research on potential 'solutions'.

Comment

Hi Everyone,
      My name is Doug and I have been 'into' computing since the days of punch cards and paper tape! My last home built computer died last year and I have been running an old MacPlus using HyperOS to give me about 8 different bootable partitions to play with.

My first time full computer job was back in '69 when I wrote a complete disk operating system in assembler for the Honeywell 316 mini computer we put into Linotypes first disk based phototypesetting system.

I retired back in '96 as Technical Director of a regional newspaper group and have played about ever since.

DougN

Comment

first poste

Hello Guys , i am new here i hope i will be happy in this forum , i am a laptop technician

Comment

Hi,
          I'm doing professional computer repairs. Yesterday I repaired motherboard from the laptop thanks to the old posts from this forum. Thank you!

Comment

Hey all, here for intros. I have been involved in residential and commercial AV installation and control system programming since 2000, as well as audio engineering. Done my share of troubleshooting but not really experienced at the component level.
            Here to help figure out what's wrong with a Sharp TV before the Local TV repair store does, hehe.....

Comment

Hello all and happy time of year. I am a long time follower and user of this forum, but this is my first post. I have fixed many laptops, monitors and even some TVs from the help of the giants that roam here. Thanks all

Comment

Wow, 905 newbie posts in 15 years. I like that you've saved 'em all! this is like a scrapbook - or yearbook. It's cool like the wall I signed at the Shelby museum in Las Vegas a few years back.

I'm a car guy who took a test during the 80's in High School to determine which field I was most suited for. TV repairman was the answer. While I've dabbled in electronic hardware from time to time, I chose to build a stock car after I turned 18, and most of my life since then has been either racin' or church related.

If you've got a Ford car or truck, I can probably help you fix it.

I'm on this forum to have the Jedi masters of electronics, guide this young padawan in the ways of the force -be it a positive circuit, or a negative one- and maybe make my family happy by providing televisions they can watch, stereos to listen to, and computers to print stuff from.

Comment

Does someone have a schematic diagram for a Philips dlp tv model # 60pl9200d/37
                  It will be gretly apreciated, many thanks, Tony

PS : my email, tonysangio@yahoo.it

Comment

Hello people, I'm rattlesnake.

I know about software (GNU/Linux, Debian mostly) and I'm learning little by little about electronics by reading, repairing old computer motherboards and doing tests.

Nice to find this community!

Comment

Hi, for Bulgaria.

Comment

Hello, David from southwest Virginia. DIY`er/ noob to electronics

Comment

This is Mehmood Ali Siddiqui, AKA The Maestro, I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist and DIY enthusiast. Need guidance in some matters from the experts and pros in this forum.

Looking forward to have a nice guidance phase.

Comment

Hello from Hamilton Ontario.

Comment

Hi, I'm a network engineer by trade, but I'm dipping my toe into the hardware aspects to troubleshoot my Samsung RPTV that appears to have some bulging capacitors.

I've got my multi meter, ESR meter, and soldering iron and am ready to take the plunge. Getting my intro out of the way in case I need to make a thread if I get in over my head.

Comment

Hey all. Crawling the web looking for information specifics to help me hopefully repair my TV that decided to go POP right before the holidays. I had planned to do a lot of couch surfing!!

My name is Craig, I have worked in computer tech for years. Did very well with Component level stuff in College so this project has been a fun throwback. I have access to colleagues who are very family with component level repair, however hopefully there are users on these forums who are familiar with my specific model of TV to point me in the direction of known areas on failure.

Well, now onto the forums to get my thread posted. Wish me luck and thanks all in advance.

Comment

Hi. I have been a long time lurker and a member without posting anything. I have had great success in fixing TV's by reading troubleshooting threads and for that I am very grateful. But its time for some personal help, so I want to introduce myself and make my first post. So HI everybody. I look forward to future discussions on one the best forums on the net!

Comment

Hi.

Comment

Hi. I am related to electronic for a long time, more than 15 years, resently I started to repair notebooks. I do not like to repair them but now I have to, it is my new job and now I am looking for some schematic diagrams for notebooks. I have "popcorned" few hubs. I think it should be more hobby than job.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. I'm a tech junkie myself. We will get along just fine.

Comment

Looking to retire shortly and resurrect my hobby tinkering with electronics, mainly fixing TV's and computers. I need to fill part of my days so I thought joining a forum might satisfy that by interacting with the community.

Comment

Working...
                                          X