Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scepter x20wg screen problems

Originally posted by Jules3084 View Post
    I haven't been able to make more progress on this yet, but I do have a question.

If a bad CCFL is determined, is it then that I would determine the size of the replacement?

Also, given 1 out of 4 being bad, should the other three also be replaced?
    Once you take out the CCFL it can be measured (just the bulb part). You'll find the two measurements that matter are the length and diameter. My personal opinion is that you should replace all 4 at the same time, otherwise you may be opening it back up and replacing others sometime down the road (maybe next week, maybe next year).

Comment

If a bad CCFL is determined, is it then that I would determine the size of the replacement?

Also, given 1 out of 4 being bad, should the other three also be replaced?
      Note that the problem could be just the ccfl wiring. The solder connecting the wire to the ccfl may be loose so you just have to resolder it. See this thread for example pictures ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8978

These two vendors

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/
      http://www.ccfldirect.com/

have FAQs and tutorials on how to measure and replace ccfls. I have no experience with either.

As for replacing 1 or 4, I think it depends on how much the final costs are and how long you have used the monitor.

I believe ccfls have a life of 40,000 hours +/- 10,000 hours. So calculate how much you use the monitor. If the ccfls are close to 30,000 hour life, you may want to consider replacing them all.

Some monitors have a menu statistic on how long the monitor has been in sleep mode and "full on" mode.

PS. Replacing ccfls are a very delicate operation.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Someone else needed this Hitachi monitor this evening, so I made some voltage measurements as described
        from an earlier post by PlainBill....

There are eight readings to take. I've marked points V1 through V4 (the voltage sense lines) and R1 through R4 (the current sense lines).

After double checking, and then checking again,
        I got some very different readings.

V1 195mv
        V2 196mv
        V3 160mv
        V4 270mv

R1 9.8V
        R2 15V
        R3 53V
        R4 46V

R3 and R4 seem quite high?
        Shouldn't they all be close within each group.
        I'm not sure what to make of this.

Thank you.

Comment

I also returned C101 to a standard electrolytic, to eliminate that possibility.
          It is a 150uFD 35V electrolytic like the others.

Comment

Someone else needed this Hitachi monitor this evening, so I made some voltage measurements as described
            from an earlier post by PlainBill....

There are eight readings to take. I've marked points V1 through V4 (the voltage sense lines) and R1 through R4 (the current sense lines).

After double checking, and then checking again,
            I got some very different readings.

V1 195mv
            V2 196mv
            V3 160mv
            V4 270mv

R1 9.8V
            R2 15V
            R3 53V
            R4 46V

R3 and R4 seem quite high?
            Shouldn't they all be close within each group.
            I'm not sure what to make of this.

Thank you.
            Yes, that is much higher than I would expect. Ordinarily that would indicate aged CCFLs, but this voltage is so high I wonder if there is another problem. Can you hook the CCFLs that are connected to the first two connectors to the second pair, and those connected to the second pair to the first pair, then measure the R voltages again?

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I switched CCFL 1 with 3 and 2 with 4, where they plug onto the board.

Took the readings again

V1 179mv
              V2 244mv
              V3 172mv
              V4 191mv

R1 39V
              R2 35V
              R3 3.9V
              R4 3.8V

Comment

I switched CCFL 1 with 3 and 2 with 4, where they plug onto the board.

Took the readings again

V1 179mv
                V2 244mv
                V3 172mv
                V4 191mv

R1 39V
                R2 35V
                R3 3.9V
                R4 3.8V
                Definitely the CCFLs. IF you have the manual dexterity, it's time to open the
                LCD panel and remove the CCFLs.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks, I'm am looking forward to it!

Comment

Geezzz, the CCFL ends and wire connections are potted in the reflectors
                    with what looks and feels like white RTV.

One of the tubes has black spots at the ends in the glass.

I just don't know if I can get the tubes out without breakage.

Comment

After talking with a very helpful person at CCFLwarehouse.com, I'm back underway.

My mistake, they are not potted. The silicone end caps are just pressed
                      into the reflective rail, and can be carefully removed.

I decided to go with ordering a couple of assemblies from CCFLwarehouse,
                      but they will need to be put into the existing reflective rails.

No soldering needed and new wires and connectors included.

The panel I have is a AUO LCD panel M201SP01. They sell an assembly for a
                      AUO M201EW02. After sending CCFLwarehouse the measurements,
                      they think it will fit. We'll see!

Comment

Replaced the CCFLs assemblies with new ones from CCFL warehouse. They fit and the backlights are working now!!!

Another problem has come up. There is now a approximately 1 inch wide light grey vertical bar running down the screen top to bottom half way to the right of center.
                        Checked connections, and wiggled wires with no change.

Am I sunk? Can anyone please provide any advise?

Thanks

Comment

Replaced the CCFLs assemblies with new ones from CCFL warehouse. They fit and the backlights are working now!!!
                          Congrats!!

Another problem has come up. There is now a approximately 1 inch wide light grey vertical bar running down the screen top to bottom half way to the right of center.
                          Pics? And which wires have you tried to wiggle?

Comment

Am I sunk? Can anyone please provide any advise?

Thanks
                            Jules3084,

Can you post a pix of this issue? I don't like the sound of it. It could be panel problem.

However this turns out, you should keep the still working CCFLs you pulled out. They are extremely useful to help rule out 2-sec-to-black due to CCFL failure.

For troubleshooting sake, I have interchanged 19" to 22" and they all fire up for me to see if the issue is lamp or not. I normally leave it running for about 1-2 minutes than I can rule out the lamps.

Comment

The gray vertical barin the picture is the issue. It has appeared since replacing the CCFL
                              assemblies.

The ribbon cables along the top of the screen are the wires that when flexed would make other bars on the screen come and go, but this bar in the picture won't seem to go away.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The gray vertical barin the picture is the issue. It has appeared since replacing the CCFL
                                assemblies.

The ribbon cables along the top of the screen are the wires that when flexed would make other bars on the screen come and go, but this bar in the picture won't seem to go away.
                                Bad news. One or more of the connections between the flex ribbon and the glass LCD panel is broken. "He's dead, Jim."

PlainBill

Comment

Thank you all very much!

It has been a great learning experience.

Could anyone please advise on another monitor.
                                  I can't say that the Sceptre X20WG lasted very long, 2 years 3 months
                                  and maybe 15 hours per day, is only 12,300 hours. Not so good.

Any particular brand better than average?
                                  Is LED better than CCFL backlighting?
                                  Any particular deals?

Thank you again!

Comment

led is more power efficient. im assumign that means it runs cooler, and thats always a good thing. and leds last longer, and wont crap out and arent so delicate as ccfl bulbs

Comment

I can't say that the Sceptre X20WG lasted very long, 2 years 3 months and maybe 15 hours per day, is only 12,300 hours. Not so good.
                                      I have seen references to some manufacturers offering 3 year warranties.

Other options would include possibly buying from Costco (maybe they include extra warranty as part of membership) or using a credit card to extend the warranty?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                      X