Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biostar G31-M7 TE Ver6.0

Hi Guys,

Got this motherboard for a possible recap. No bulging caps yet. However, this board will not POST once power off. You need to wait 1/2 a day or more with AC off. Already tried another P/S with similar result. Once working ,it will stay on 24/7. Reboot also works but just don't do a normal shutdown if you want to start it up again w/o the long wait.

I see there are 3x KZG 1500uF 16V at the VRM. I will replace these with HZ series.

There are 5 what appears to be poly caps with the marking Cs. Followed by UPS 820uF 2.5V. I've never see this brand before. Anyone know if these are really polys? If not, I can change them to Fujitsu polys I already got from BadCaps.

Also, can someone confirm if the other picture shows the 2 circled polys are Panasonic?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Biostar G31-M7 TE Ver6.0

I see Chemi-con KZGs, which have to go, and Elite polymers, which I don't know much about. I'm not sure what those circled 680uF caps are, but I don't think they're pannies. It also looks like there are some OST caps. Those also have to go.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Elite polymers? Thanks for the tip.

I've found a different post from 2 years back & Scenic provided a link to a Japenese site:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...241#post265241

I found the exact pix under the Elite brand. However, I can't find this series in the Chinsan site.

Anyway, my microESR meter says they have quite low combined ESR resistance (in circuit) and the total capacitance does come out ok. So I will leave these Elite alone and replace the KZG first to see if the boot-up issue is improved before upgrading the other caps.

Comment

An in-circuit ESR test means absolutely nothing. They have to be tested individually out of circuit.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Also, can someone confirm if the other picture shows the 2 circled polys are Panasonic?
          Those are not Panasonic. I think those are Tecate... Tecate is very popular, and commonly found in laptops and OEM logic boards... I don't know much about them, or where there stuff comes from, the information is very sketchy but I think they're reliable.

As c_hegge said, those are Elite. Get rid of them. The only non-Japanese polymers which I trust are Samxon. Polymers absorb a lot of heat and are difficult to unsolder in my experience.

You would also do well for yourself to get rid of all the 8mm OST caps on the board. Especially the ones in the pi filter near the ATX connector and those near the memory slots...
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

sorry to revive a old thread i got one of these boards same version as above, and the caps near the psu connector OST RLG one bloated and leaked, they were 10v 1000uf and i read on the ost site they are general purpose, I had 2 1500uf 10v panasonic FLs lying around so i soldered them in, is using a low esr in place of a general purpose going to cause problems?
            My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

I don't think RLG is general purpose. It's probably low esr series. The FL are good replacements either way.
              Last edited by mariushm; 12-26-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Nope, RLG is a GP cap. I just confirmed that on the OST site. I agree, though that replacing them with low ESR parts is fine.

Comment

Working...
                X