Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Presario V2000 help

Hi everyone:

Got this for supposing to be a fan cleaning. User said it got overheated and shuts off.

Cleaned out the fur balls on the fan. Took off the heatsink and removed the "silver foil" that was actually pinched/ripped. Applied AS and reinstall.

However, the laptop actually cannot stay on with any kind of heavy load.

It can stay on the BIOS screen for a long time. The fan kicks in every now and then when the heatsink for the CPU is getting warm. As soon as the heatsink is cooler, the fan shuts off.

Since user has the HDD, I decided to put a Memtest disc into the optical tray and let it run. However, as soon as the optical disc started spinning, the whole laptop shuts off.

After it shut off, you must unplug the ac power for say 30sec before you can power up again.

Guys, what am I looking at here?

Note; CPU is Intel Mobile, not AMD. Motherboard sticker says 381062-001
    Last edited by lucky13; 09-22-2012, 06:47 PM. Reason: Added CPU type.

Re: Compaq Presario V2000 help

I don't think this is a CPU overheat issue. As far as I know, when the computer is sitting in BIOS, CPU is at 100% so if CPU is stable in BIOS and doesn't overheat, then it won't overheat when the OS is running either.

Not sure what could be the issue, though. Looks like a power issue, but who knows.

Have you tried swapping the RAM or just taking some of it out?

Comment

Re: Compaq Presario V2000 help

Hi guys I also have a Presario 6000 series Desktop and have a similar fault,sometimes it boots up ok ,but sometime it hangs on the Presario Logo asking to press f12 and i have to press Ctrl -Alt -Dell sometimes 1 or a few more time in order for it to to winxp,
      when i got it, it had a burned Fan i put in a good fan and it started working OK except for this problem,which I've been living with it, since it ends up booting up,i never could figure out why,since this is an old Desk Top that i donĀ“t use much, it doesn't bother me, unless it goes dead, then i will look into it, if you can figure out what's wrong just post it, I'd like to know.

Comment

Working...
      X