Using a Hub to capture all traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Hub to capture all traffic

I put an old Linksys 10/100 hub in between my Netgear router and my DSL modem. I assumed, since a hub broadcasts all packets to all devices, that all traffic from any computer on my network would show up on a computer attached directly to the hub running Wireshark in promiscuous mode. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happenening. I only get the blue ARP packets, not the green, yellow, etc. traffic packets.
    What am I doign wrong?
    Thanks!

Re: Using a Hub to capture all traffic

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    I put an old Linksys 10/100 hub
    If this is the Linksys EF2S24 from the other thread, this is a switch.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/EF2S24

You need to port "mirror" the packets to the wireshark port. This may be a software feature that is not present on older hardware.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It is not the same device. It's a 5-port NH1005

Comment

http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html

See section 7 (lots of info)

Just a snippet ...

Capturing packets
        Q 7.1: When I use Wireshark to capture packets, why do I see only packets to and from my machine, or not see all the traffic I'm expecting to see from or to the machine I'm trying to monitor?

A: Note that even if your machine is plugged into a hub, the "hub" may be a switched hub, in which case you're still on a switched network.
        Note also that on the Linksys Web site, they say that their auto-sensing hubs "broadcast the 10Mb packets to the port that operate at 10Mb only and broadcast the 100Mb packets to the ports that operate at 100Mb only", which would indicate that if you sniff on a 10Mb port, you will not see traffic coming sent to a 100Mb port, and vice versa.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think it's really a hub. How do I check? Can I just take it apart and see if it's got a processor or not? All devices are running at 100

Comment

Your hub is not dumb enough:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Hu...ch/td-p/113461

Comment

Damn it. Anybody got a hub they want to sell me?

Comment

LOL. I had an old 3Com 10/100 hub laying around, didn't want to get rid of it but the brother of a friend of mine needed one for some weird plotter issue he had a work, and they bought it for more than it was worth.

I use port mirroring to do what you're doing. In fact I sniff all traffic to/from our main router and monitor bandwidth, and alarm on bad traffic like SMTP that isn't our mail server, malware packets etc.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

And how do you do that on a 2Wire DSL Modem/Router/Gateway 2701hg-b ?

Comment

Best you can do is put it into bridge mode and use a more capable router. The 2wire gateways aren't big on features.

Comment

I have wireless disabled, and I've got a netgear router doing all the important stuff. But, I can't put my Sniffer on the netgear.

Comment

heard from someone ... use a lan cable to do a loop, port one to port two and try out

Comment

I bought some shitty old hub on eBay for $8. If that does not work I will try some other methods.

Comment

read up on ARP poisioning and ARP spoofing, you can fool just about any cheap switch to act as if it were a hub. There are many tools for doing it, depending on platform and stuff, so just search and youll find. Or if you dont find anything tell what platform youre using and stuff and ill try to be more specific.

Expensive switches can have protection stuff that prevents it from working though.
                            Last edited by digge; 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Yes, I tried ARP spoofing... not reliable enough. Some websites give errors or wont load. Not acceptable, sorry!

Comment

i think i am also in the same boat as the OP ..
                                can anyone help me confirm if the hub i m using is a real hub or switch? its TP-Link TL-SF1005D
                                here is link to its site..

its unmanaged one ..
                                http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-SF1005D

if its a switch then can anyone tell me a good arp piosining software?
                                thanks.

Comment

also i see a lot of arp in protocol field... and if its using arp i think its a switch ? what say ?

Comment

Originally posted by spermatagone View Post
                                    i think i am also in the same boat as the OP ..
                                    can anyone help me confirm if the hub i m using is a real hub or switch? its TP-Link TL-SF1005D
                                    here is link to its site..

its unmanaged one ..
                                    http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-SF1005D

It's a switch.

ARP poisoning is unreliable and not worth the trouble.

The best ways to sniff a network are:

A network tap (pricey, but really work well)

A switch that can do port mirroring (still more money than the cheap Chinese switches)

A hub (harder to find)

Or, use a computer as the router, that way the NICs are seeing all traffic, and you just put one in promiscuous mode and go.

I do this at one of my clients, the same box that is the router, is also the IDS and network bandwidth monitor. Easy peasy.
                                    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I no longer need the hub I got on eBay for this purpose, as I no longer care about monitoring traffic on my network
                                      If you want to buy it I'll send it to you. It's yours for $5+shipping(USA)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        I no longer need the hub I got on eBay for this purpose, as I no longer care about monitoring traffic on my network
                                        If you want to buy it I'll send it to you. It's yours for $5+shipping(USA)
                                        thanks for the very generous offer .. buti live in thirdworld country and shiping here will make it whoooopingly costly ..
                                        hope i will get one in local market and scrap shops they have many old computer and networking parts .. else i will go the samsone way ..
                                        thanks all

Comment

Working...
                                        X