Why Ubuntu and Windows 8 do/will fail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Ubuntu and Windows 8 do/will fail.

NOTE: THIS POINT IS JUST MY OPINIONS. I'M NOT BASHING EITHER DISTRO/OS, I'M JUST STATING MY OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS.

Usually when average people (excluding us of course) think of linux they think of Ubuntu. It's advertised, is included stock on some Dell PCs, and has the best support and largest userbase.
    Unfortunately, it sucks.
    10.10 was still good, but 11.10 is as slow and bloated as Windows is; in fact, it's probably even worse! It takes longer than Windows 7 to start up, opening a program takes longer, and getting to any program that isn't on the left-side Unity dock thing takes like 5 clicks and a shit-ton of scrolling. Unity is the worst choice the Ubuntu makers have EVER made!
    Otherwise, it still doesn't have good enough hardware support. sure, while on Windows you have to go hunting for drivers while on linux/ubuntu they are mostly either installed from the get-go, or they are easily installed using the Additional Drivers thiny, HOWEVER, Windows supports a wider range of software. And on Windows 7 a ton of devices are auto-detected/installed anyway.

now, moving on to Windows 8

GIVE ME BACK MY GODDAMN START MENU. IF I WANT A TABLET I WILL BUY AN IPAD. IF I WANT A PC I WANT A PC, NOT A TABLET.
    Now, if they want to make Windows 8 Tablet with Metro UI that's fine. But on the desktop versions at least give me the option to disable this shit. I actually like metro ui but it's cumbersome and inefficient when using a keybaord/mouse. However, I can see that on a touch-screen tablet it would be wonderful.
    Windows 8 has a lot of great little tweaks/enhancements over Windows 7 (like the Task Manager, for example, and better Windows Live Hotmail integration (which is nice since I'm a hotmailer not a gmailer)), but WHY OH WHY did they get rid of the REASON WHY PEOPLE STILL LIKE WINDOWS. GUESS WHAT IT IS. HINT, IT'S BEEN IN WINDOWS FOR A HECKUVA LONG TIME AND IT'S AWESOME! the START MENU!
    If you remove the start menu from windows 7, and stick the tray icons up top, and add a fancy quick launcher to the bottom, you get OS X. If I want that, I'll get a mac. until then, Microsoft, Keep the frickin' awesome Start Menu!

[/RANT]
    Have fun commenting on this but keep in mind this post contains a lot of my opinions!

Re: Why Ubuntu and Windows 8 do/will fail.

U S E F E D O R A!

(just my opinion)
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      U S E F E D O R A!

(just my opinion)
      yes Fedora is nice but not as popular so I didn't bother including in my post

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        yes Fedora is nice but not as popular so I didn't bother including in my post
        The best fix is often not the most popular fix.
        sigpic

Comment

http://lifehacker.com/5840324/switch...indows-7-style

There, fixed it.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

There's too many developers in Linux right now, too many people with too many ideas that they all try to incorporate at once. It's like a Michael Bay film. In the meantime, critical things are completely ignored, while the most trivial of bugs are fixed at the behest of mega-corporations.

Linux is a 21st century tower of babel.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              10.10 was still good, but 11.10 is as slow and bloated as Windows
              It's very fast with Fluxbox, Awesome, lxde, ion3, ratpoison etc..
              And yes, I agree that Unity is bloated piece of s*it.

Comment

metro to me means some guy that is nearly queer but isn't and thats about what i think of the new UI for windows 8 sorry if i offend anyone by saying that

As for Ubuntu i am currently testing out mint and have been having good luck with it it's like linux with training wheels barely any command line at all which i like. I will be throwing fedora on here soon because i hear ratdude preaching it all the time i may as well give it a wack

Comment

Originally posted by gerg View Post
                  metro to me means some guy that is nearly queer but isn't and thats about what i think of the new UI for windows 8 sorry if i offend anyone by saying that

As for Ubuntu i am currently testing out mint and have been having good luck with it it's like linux with training wheels barely any command line at all which i like. I will be throwing fedora on here soon because i hear ratdude preaching it all the time i may as well give it a wack
                  I like Linux Mint. it's better and slightl faster than Ubuntu imo but it's still got the same software compatibility.

Comment

The seat of my pants says win8 will be a vista-like bellyflop.... Win7 hasn't even had a real chance to season yet and they're already planning to shit out win8.... MS has gone to hell since Gates stepped down as CEO...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

well it is built off of ubuntu so i would thing it would have the same software compatability. If you do updates they normally say ubuntu right in the title of the update that you are doing. maybe i will throw fedora on my garage computer tonight

Comment

you have millenium edition and windows vista that were total flops windows 7 isn't bad but like you said 7 hasn't had a chance to season yet. By the trend I agree 8 is going to suck

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        The seat of my pants says win8 will be a vista-like bellyflop.... Win7 hasn't even had a real chance to season yet and they're already planning to shit out win8.... MS has gone to hell since Gates stepped down as CEO...

Comment

I disagree... MS has too much riding on Windows 8 to let it flop. The main goal of Win 8 is to stop pirates for once and for all. They're using Encrypted UEFI to load the OS (I know that doesn't make sense - I don't understand it either). Flashing the BIOS with SLIC like with Win7/Vista will become a thing of the past.

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            I disagree... MS has too much riding on Windows 8 to let it flop. The main goal of Win 8 is to stop pirates for once and for all. They're using Encrypted UEFI to load the OS (I know that doesn't make sense - I don't understand it either). Flashing the BIOS with SLIC like with Win7/Vista will become a thing of the past.
                            ...and thats where I disagree. Gates considered small amounts of end user piracy as 'leakage', aka free advertising. they didn't really pursue it....they tended to go after the chinese clones or retailers selling pirated copies of windows as legit (I had a friend actually get into some trouble doing that). This was back in the win9x/win2k days. MS is shooting themselves in the foot wasting all that time and money to make an OS 'unpirate-able'...they thought the Titanic was unsinkable too....it still sank....and my prediction for win8 as well.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

This has been stressed before - cryptography has advanced to the point that the weakest link is us humans. Even if the security is tight and it would take too long to crack, someone somewhere is going to leak the code and it's going to get pirated.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Not so. Think about it. The only thing that stands between Microsoft and stopping people from pirating Windows is desktops. Laptops almost always come pre-installed with some iteration of Windows, it's only the custom-built desktop market which is doing the majority of the pirating (I don't blame them - they need to eat too).

Now that the custom-built desktop market (What we used to call "clones") is almost nonexistent, Microsoft only need now deliver the final crushing blow to eliminate piracy altogether.

Yes, Gates allowed piracy in the early days, as long as it didn't cut into profit too much and as long as it was a means to an end. Now that Microsoft doesn't need any more advertising - it's OS is practically the forerunner in the market - why do they still "need" pirates?

MSI, Acer, Asus... all these companies don't like people like me. If the rare person does buy a desktop - they want them to buy their desktop, not mine. Of course, all these companies are colluding with Microsoft to push the small man out of the market - in fact, this is the way it's been for years.

Even if the security is tight and it would take too long to crack, someone somewhere is going to leak the code and it's going to get pirated
                                It's irelevant. All microsoft has to do is introduce some sort of cumbersome step to defeat the encryption. That means, as long as it's not a perfect hack, like the SLIC is, it can't be sold to the end user.

Comment

^
                                  Thats just swell. More of a nail in their coffin, I will never buy it. So much for their anti-piracy, I don't even want to bootleg it.....I don't even want it at all. Hell, XP will do everything I need for an indefinite period of time... Like I said, they're just shooting themselves in the foot....mark my words. White Star Lines sank over 12 million into titanic, it still sank.....and that was 1909 money when the vessel was built. Same applies to win8 and MS. All the money in the world won't stop it from sinking.....and they'll face the same thing that vista and 7 faced....people refusing to upgrade from XP...and having to pay on top of that. Sorry, this one will be a huge dud.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    Now that Microsoft doesn't need any more advertising - it's OS is practically the forerunner in the market - why do they still "need" pirates?
                                    I see a fallacy here.

While micorsoft's OS's are the vast majority, all they care about in profit terms is the ones being sold currently, with a priority towards the higher releases. They still have to avertise upgrades to newer OSs...

The point is that piraters in a way advertise upgrading to newer OS versions...
                                    sigpic

Comment

Its all part of the dumbening. The race to turn computers into a prole consumption device.

Ubuntu, Windows 8, OSx will all be walled gardens if the current crop of "designers" have their way.

Comment

I'm sure that upgrades only amounts to a small amount of their profit. Their bread and butter is in new OS sales.

Comment

Working...
                                        X