This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

Right on man, way to go there's some nice saves in there. Keep it up!

Comment

my latest ones are 1 p3 (good, typing this on it right now!) and 1 p4 (needs a vid card) and one celeron-d (pissed off no mater what i do to it!) ohh and an i386 (needs floppys to install an OS) and an XOPC 1
      Last edited by goontron; 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Nice I feel sorry for Celeron D's. They try their hardest but they're always slow I had one of the highest end ones, the 3.46GHz one with 512KB cache, and even with 6GB RAM, a GTX 260, and an Intel SSD, it was still so slow on Windows 7 It might be decently faster under Linux though

Comment

^
          And to think HP used to sell them with 512MB RAM and Windows Vista
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

14U rack it's an odd blue color but a coworker gave it to me

Comment

So sad. And with all the bloatware (on top of vista being bloatware) it'd be painfully slow from the first boot up

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Nice I feel sorry for Celeron D's. They try their hardest but they're always slow I had one of the highest end ones, the 3.46GHz one with 512KB cache, and even with 6GB RAM, a GTX 260, and an Intel SSD, it was still so slow on Windows 7 It might be decently faster under Linux though
                yah, the p3 was faster when i got the celeron running long enough to install the OS
                ��windows XP runnin' on a p3��
                Last edited by goontron; 09-04-2013, 09:05 PM.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I love P3's. They're solid I have a 933MHz P3 setup with just shy of 50k running hours on it, stock with no issues. Was thinking of throwing a light OS on it, any suggestions for a light Linux OS?

Comment

^ well i have a 1 gig stick in it with the 125 mb stick of ram and i have lubuntu on it but i dont know about stock 512mb ram

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

A nearly new set of Cutco kitchen knives, Including the Butcher block Knife holder for the counter.
                      Only missing 3 steak knives.

The coolest handmade dark red velvet and green double sided Christmas tree skirt I have ever seen.

A 4x4x12” chunk of steal left over from the destruction of old Carquinez Bridge by Vallejo, Ca. Well I Grew up in Benicia,Ca and I thought it was cool anyways. (A whole lot more than my wife did).

Comment

just intercepted a panasonic rf-4900 from the trash last week.
                        good thing nobody was tailgating as they would have ate by bumper as short as i stopped!
                        got funny looks as i wrapped it up in a sweatshirt before putting it in the workvan.
                        like who the hell picks up garbage and wraps it up for safekeeping?
                        and just today a "hisense" 24" tv/monitor with the remote.
                        looks new.last one had 2 1117-33 bad in it.and of course crap caps.
                        a friend got it off the curb.i assume these were black friday loss leaders as both were from 11/2012.

Comment

A month ago I found a 32-inch Panasonic 4x3 tube television. I gave it to a co-worker. After splicing in a power cord and hooking up a converter box, she says it works fine. (The power cord didn't have much valuable copper in it, why didn't they leave it intact?).

Last week I found a 27-inch 4x3 tube-type Zenith. It's in my enclosed front porch right now. The power cord is intact. It even came with a remote! It probably works just fine.

Maybe I should stop picking these TVs up. New TVs aren't that expensive, that's why people are throwing these out. Also I'm only one man and I can only watch one TV at a time, and I only have one converter box and no cable. I think 4x3 televisions are starting to be like 12mm and 13mm sockets at the side of the road (good for working on your car, but I can only use so many sockets). I've stopped picking them up too.
                          Last edited by Hondaman; 09-06-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broksonic View Post
                            Oh guess I should also say I WORK in the garbage industry so if you missed it I most likely found it!
                            Nice!

I surely hope there's more people like you. It really bugs me when something nice is thrown out only because it needs a minor repair/fix.

I recently noticed that there is someone (or maybe many people) in my neighborhood who go out at night before trash day and take thrown out stuff. How I know?...
                            Well, a few houses down the block, someone threw out a computer. Looked pretty old since it was in one of those beige cases (most likely P3 or P4 or the AMD equivalent). I saw it the night before trash day. Decided I will take it in the morning, though, since it was pretty late and I didn't want to tare it apart that night. When I woke up in the morning (early), the trash was still there but the PC was gone, so apparently someone took it. In the following week, I saw someone throw out a nice stainless-steel electric grill (although cheesy-looking). Again, this was the night before trash day. The next day (early morning before trash truck came), the grill was gone.

So now I know I'm not the only one who cruises my neighborhood before trash day - which is a relieve, really. If something nice is thrown out, at least someone will hopefully make use of it rather than going to waste.

Originally posted by kc8adu
                            last one had 2 1117-33 bad in it.
                            If you need more of those, let me know. I know they are not hard to find, but I have a lot of Xbox 360 motherboards, and those usually have several of them on there.

Comment

Got a pair of Realistic Nova-18 speakers today for free. They have 10" woofers and 3" tweeters. Cabinets and covers are in decent shape, but the foam on the woofer drivers was completely rotten. It fell in pieces when I touched it. I'm thinking of re-foaming them with one of those cheap eBay kits. Any objections against this (as in, do you think it's worth it)? The woofers work fine. I was thinking of making my own "foam" rings from several layers of PC paper. I know my dad "re-foamed" his old Pioneer speakers way back, and he used leather. They have been working fine since, and this was when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Got a pair of Realistic Nova-18 speakers today for free. They have 10" woofers and 3" tweeters. Cabinets and covers are in decent shape, but the foam on the woofer drivers was completely rotten. It fell in pieces when I touched it. I'm thinking of re-foaming them with one of those cheap eBay kits. Any objections against this (as in, do you think it's worth it)? The woofers work fine. I was thinking of making my own "foam" rings from several layers of PC paper. I know my dad "re-foamed" his old Pioneer speakers way back, and he used leather. They have been working fine since, and this was when I was a kid.
                                http://www.simplyspeakers.com/optimu...t-fsk-10a.html

I refoamed a pair of CV 101W2 woofers with a kit from them. It worked great! Make sure you use shims.
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                Originally posted by shango066
                                All style and no substance.
                                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Here's a belated one: I scored a HP Jetdirect 500X for $2.50 a few weeks ago... and yes, it has the proprietary wall wart with it. I don't have anything parallel for it though... but I figured it might come in handy at some point.
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
                                    Your old X5DAL system has a parallel port.... Most higher end workstation boards still have them....not sure why, I don't think anyone still make a parallel printer.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      ^
                                      Your old X5DAL system has a parallel port.... Most higher end workstation boards still have them....not sure why, I don't think anyone still make a parallel printer.
                                      Because old Laserjets and plotters (and other non-printer devices) do and still get used, and I'd imagine some old programs don't like USB to parallel converters.
                                      sigpic

Comment

^
                                        Most newer plotters I've seen are network......but yea, gotta love legacy ports.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                        Team : 49813
                                        Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          ^
                                          Your old X5DAL system has a parallel port....
                                          I was speaking of printers... I have plenty of computers with parallel. In fact, my only ones without are laptops and a core2 board.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X