Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone 5 tristar advice

Hey everyone,

Lately everyone is bringing in their antique devices for data recovery, and I have very little experience with these since I started boardrepair around iPhone 7 :').

The phone is taking 0.04a, if my diagnose is correct, it's the tristar chip that is failing. I used the tristartester for this. Now this chip is right next to the CPU, and it looks damn near impossible to take out without fucking up the CPU. I've seen some people on youtube doing it with a big blob of solder on their soldering iron on top of the chip, but since I've got no experience with this method I'm quite certain I'd fail.

Now since I'm only after data (pictures to be precise), could I perhaps just bypass the Tristar chip?

Or any other advice on replacing the U2 tristar chip if not possible?

Thanx in advance!

Re: iPhone 5 tristar advice

Which tristar tester did you use ? Is it a breakout board and used the diode mode on the meter for testing ?

Or a stand alone tool for testing of the tristar ?

The tool is reporting a tristar fail ?

See flaky results such as yours and had an ipad with the same current draw -> does not charge -> tristar tester reports the chip is fine (replaced twice now) -> replaced the dockflex cable -> still consumers ~30 mA. It is down to the PMIC for this ipad repair that has been to other shops.

Comment

Hello,

"The phone is taking 0.04a" you are talking about charge current?
      You have to check current consumption when you power the phone.
      Connect the phone to a power supply and check the current consumption on PP_BATT_VCC and report back results.
      Before removing tristar you have to check a lot of power line.

Comment

Hey! I'm using this one: http://tristartester.com/en/product/...ristar-tester/

It indeed indicates tristar problem.

I tried using the old an new dockflex, and old an new battery but the result is always the tristar.

Comment

And @elecsoluces, yes 0.04a is the charge current. I'd love to hook it up to the powersupply, but I don't have a cable to connect it to the power supply I have one from QianLi that supports iPhone 6 and higher, and one from Mechanic that supports starting form 5S.

This might be a stupid question but I'd rather not make stupid mistakes, can I connect it using aligator clips or something alike? If yes, negative goes to ground, and positive on the PP_BAT_VCC pin?

Comment

You can solder a wire directly to J6 connector red cable on pin 7 and black to ground

Comment

Right after typing my reply to elecsoluces I remember I have an older adapter to plug it into the power supply! I've found it, connected it, and its looping. It draws up to 0.249a, back to 0, and continues to do this.

Comment

check in diode mode
                PP1V8
                PP3V0NAND
                I2C0_SCL_1V8
                I2C0_SDA_1V8

Comment

Pp1v8 0.340
                  pp3v0nand 0.323
                  i2c0_scl_1v8 0.540
                  i2c0_sda_1v8 0.538

Comment

Pp1v8 0.340
                    pp3v0nand 0.323
                    i2c0_scl_1v8 0.540
                    i2c0_sda_1v8 0.538

Values are good

You have to replace tristar.
                    Refer to this video to remove tristar
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pC6zVMgSo
                    I use a 2mm bevel tip with leaded solder and it's working fine
                    Don't forget to remove the epoxy on the top of the circuit before using the soldering iron.

You should practising on old board before doing this on a customer board.
                    Tristar reference on this model is 1608A1 and can't be replaced by 1610A series

Comment

Shame, I feared as much. I have come across that same video, but since I have no experience with it I'm a little reluctant. I have 1 donor iPhone 5 I could try it on first.

I sent you a private message @elecsoluces with one additional question.

Thanx to everyone giving me advice on this one by the way! Greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                      X