hp envy 17m-bw0013dx no LED on charging port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hp envy 17m-bw0013dx no LED on charging port

i'm new to working on boards that aren't for apple laptops and can't seem to find a schematic for this 2018 hp. Its totally dead and the charging port indicator LED doesn't come on but the 19v gets to the current sensing resistor. there is a chip that is gets really warm (tps51285b). I think it's responsible for the LDO voltages.

Re: hp envy 17m-bw0013dx no LED on charging port

Check resistances in respect to ground of all coils. Could be a bad capacitor.

Comment

anyone have a schematic for this model?

Comment

Very few schematics available for the newer models unfortunately. But they usually fall in the same basic design so you can do some limited troubleshooting.

As you said, the +3.3V/5V IC is getting warm so have a look at the LDO output voltages. They are simple linear regulators with limited output current. If the voltage is low, it's usually not the IC but the load on that output. Sometimes you can get lucky and its just a shorted bypass cap, but can also be the EC itself.

Comment

i'm not really good at finding a fault without a schematic. the VIN of the chip is only 9v and that should be 19v i'm assuming. in fact 9v is what's i'm measuring all over the board

Comment

9V as VIN is very likely correct as NVDC technology is perhaps in use in charging circuit. resistance on +3V LDO/+5V LDO?? Measure resistance without any power connected.

Comment

Use the datasheets for the IC's. Most of the time, the circuits in the laptops mirror what's in the datasheet. Except for Dell's.....

Comment

hp envy 17m-bw0013dx need Bios

Comment

@niggi - bios requests are in another part of this forum. See above.

Comment

HP Envy m laptop model 17m-bw0013dx sn=5CG8258XXF Problem is no dispaly i try to me clean but still same hare is bios file Haymitch 2G MB 17888-1
                    Last edited by Vesko356; 02-25-2024, 01:11 PM. Reason: Attached bios removed.

Comment

Originally posted by munir100 View Post
                      HP Envy m laptop model 17m-bw0013dx sn=5CG8258XXF Problem is no dispaly i try to me clean but still same hare is bios file Haymitch 2G MB 17888-1
                      Do not attach and/or request bios files here at main Tech section please!
                      Read Reminder: rules and organization of this section thread, and posting rules in BIOS Requests ONLY! sub-section:
                      RULES UPDATE for BIOS requests/offers *AVOID BANNING, READ BEFORE POSTING*
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...before-posting
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                      Become a Badcaps supporter
                      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                      Thanks to all supporters.​
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Hi, any solution? Got the exact same issue. There's absolutely no measurable short on the board, no powerline, no mosfet, no cap, nothing.
                        Owner told, he wasn't able to turn it off anymore. As soon as he took out the battery, it never turned on again, if this is some hint.
                        Injecting 3.3V into VREG3 takes 1mA what looks good, but injecting 5V into VREG5 shows 25mA what looks high to me, for a machine that's turned off.
                        Any ideas?
                        Thanks a lot!

PS my board is Haymitch 4G MB 17889-1 448.0EJ11.0011 what seems to be the same, just 4GB VRAM.

Comment

Working...
                        X