Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectre X360 DAX38CMBAG0 - overheating fans not spinning

Hello all

Got this Spectre with an overheating problem.
    I verified that the fans start briefly during power up, but never turn on again,
    even when stress testing the machine and CPU at 100°C fans dont spin

Ive measured and I have 5V, 3.3v and 3rd pin 0.
    When fans spin during start up, the signal at 0v is at 1.6v.

Probably its Fan2Sig pin and 3.3V is PWM, not sure

Question is , how to fix?
    I think these signals come from ITE controller am I right?
    Should I bother replacing it?

Thanks for any advice
    Attached Files

Re: Spectre X360 DAX38CMBAG0 - overheating fans not spinning

note: measurements on the 4 pin header of the fan

Comment

I would inspect if the fan itself is ok and clean enough to spin freely. The fan may be gummed up and needs to be replaced.

Yes, the PWM signal is likely the 3v3 but this may be due to the actual PWM being absent. The pull-up on that line is defaulting to 3v3 = max fan spin.

Review this webpage which offers some details on the operation of a similar fan (see the schematic & explanation of the PWM signal):

https://www.electroschematics.com/4-wire-pc-fan/

Confirm:

1) your fan is a 5 volt model - appears to be
      2) the feedback (tach) signal is what you are measuring @ 1v6 when the fan does spin
      3) with the PWM @ 3v3, it should be spinning all the time - can you try to manually spin the fan after power up? Does the fan continue to spin?

Comment

Well fans spin freely, as they spin lie for 3secs when machine turns on.

And even more now that ive tested, they sometimes kick in when in windows.

But they dont kick in as they should, as CPU is almost 100degrees and they still dont spin.

But if I wait, they eventually kick in but cleary they dont act as they should.
        Ive updated bios to latest, still the same

Any idea what could cause this?
        Pretty sad to have a nice machine like this, burning hot all the time.

regarding the 4 pins, I see that when they spin the grey wire has 1.6v and the 3.3V pin comes down to 1.6v also

When they stop, 3.3V present again and grey wire 0v

Comment

The fan will only spin if the upstream fan controller receives a condition to need for this fan to enable to cool the board. That is, the upstream controller is monitoring a thermal sensor which will have a threshold temperature configuration and then the fan is requested to turn ON or OFF.

The thermal sensor should be located for an inspection. Often have seen simple transistors being used as a thermal sensor.

Is there a schematic available for this logic board?

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
            The fan will only spin if the upstream fan controller receives a condition to need for this fan to enable to cool the board. That is, the upstream controller is monitoring a thermal sensor which will have a threshold temperature configuration and then the fan is requested to turn ON or OFF.

The thermal sensor should be located for an inspection. Often have seen simple transistors being used as a thermal sensor.

Is there a schematic available for this logic board?
            The closest I could find was this one, but board layout is quite different.

I think I will struggle to locate that simple transistor without the schematic for this board in particular...

[MOD EDIT] Link to Quanta X32 schematic - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubl...s-drawings-bom

Comment

Found a (paid) schematic that may be close and it shows that the fan is controlled by the IT8987 IC. Locate it. No experience in this arena so wait on others to comment. Perhaps this device needs its flash to be reprogrammed (if there is one).
              Attached Files

Comment

Found a (paid) schematic that may be close and it shows that the fan is controlled by the IT8987 IC. Locate it. No experience in this arena so wait on others to comment. Perhaps this device needs its flash to be reprogrammed (if there is one).
                Hello!
                Thanks

yes, ive referred that on the first post. ITE IC is the one controlling the PWM of the fan.
                Thing is if hes getting the right inputs to actuate those signals...

Hard to conclude without schematic...

Comment

Post pictures of the full logic board so we can review the shape.

What are the exact markings of your ite chip?

Does the laptop raise a fan error code?

The temp sensor will likely be connected to the a/d lines for the analog to digital conversion.

Posting some schematic segments from another x360 model.

Q: Is your ITE chip the same? Likely is the same but confirm it.

Q: Is your ITE chip a TQFP package or a BGA package? If TQFP, follow the schematic with the pin numbers. If BGA, then you will have to review the alphanumeric indexing.

Your logic board design will be very similar or identical.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mon2; 10-10-2022, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Post pictures of the full logic board so we can review the shape.

What are the exact markings of your ite chip?

Does the laptop raise a fan error code?

The temp sensor will likely be connected to the a/d lines for the analog to digital conversion.

Posting some schematic segments from another x360 model.

Q: Is your ITE chip the same? Likely is the same but confirm it.

Q: Is your ITE chip a TQFP package or a BGA package? If TQFP, follow the schematic with the pin numbers. If BGA, then you will have to review the alphanumeric indexing.

Your logic board design will be very similar or identical.
                    Hello there!
                    The laptop does not raise a fan error. When I disconnect one, it detects it.
                    ITE chip is IT8987VG , BGA package

I can see the temps in windows of cpu and GPU
                    CPU goes close to 100C often
                    So I think temp sensor works fine
                    Attached Files

Comment

Interesting read:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...F/td-p/7279755

Comment

Working...
                      X