Shorted on board cpu or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorted on board cpu or not

Hello my lovely fellows, I have a question for you, how do you confirm if the cpu it self it shorted to ground?

Sometimes I come across situations where the cpu power rail including gfx will beep when checking capacitors both sides, ground and positive on the beeping mode and give me a value of 000 ~ 002 (beeping mode).

I uplifted the pwm cpu output coil from the board, the beep stops on the other side but the cpu ceramic caps are still beeping on both sides with the value of 000 ~ 002 on the beeping mode. Anyway the board got the on board cpu and I don't have reballing tools

Thank you

Re: Shorted on board cpu or not

CPU is not shorted.
    Use resistance mode, not continuity mode or diode mode.
    Exact resistance will depend mostly on CPU generation and some other parameters.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by mnciks11 View Post
      Hello my lovely fellows, I have a question for you, how do you confirm if the cpu it self it shorted to ground?

Sometimes I come across situations where the cpu power rail including gfx will beep when checking capacitors both sides, ground and positive on the beeping mode and give me a value of 000 ~ 002 (beeping mode).

I uplifted the pwm cpu output coil from the board, the beep stops on the other side but the cpu ceramic caps are still beeping on both sides with the value of 000 ~ 002 on the beeping mode. Anyway the board got the on board cpu and I don't have reballing tools

Thank you
      desolder the coil and look which side do you have the short ; the built-in cpu with integrated gpu always has that kind of problems because over heating .

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        CPU is not shorted.
        Use resistance mode, not continuity mode or diode mode.
        Exact resistance will depend mostly on CPU generation and some other parameters.
        How, I've been using the continuity mode all along, from what ranges do I set my multimeter to?

And Based on the results that I will get from the multimeter, how will i confirm if the CPU is shorted to ground or not?

Comment

Originally posted by mo000 View Post
          desolder the coil and look which side do you have the short ; the built-in cpu with integrated gpu always has that kind of problems because over heating .
          Based on your method, you use the continuity mode or resistance?

And how do you interpret the results on the multimeter ?

Comment

Cpus/gpus have a low resistance so it's normal the multimeter beeps. Think about it: they work @1-1,5V and draw 20-50-100W. They need a lot of amps so their internal resistance is quite low.

Comment

do you measuring current to cpu? use laboratory power source 1Vdc.
              do you sense temperature excessive?

Comment

Keep it simple, measure impedance on resistance mode. value of 002 or higher is quite normal for onboard cpu/gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumah Brazorf View Post
                  Cpus/gpus have a low resistance so it's normal the multimeter beeps. Think about it: they work @1-1,5V and draw 20-50-100W. They need a lot of amps so their internal resistance is quite low.
                  But it shouldn't be that close to ground right, check when I use continuity mode I get 002 is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by iusar View Post
                    do you measuring current to cpu? use laboratory power source 1Vdc.
                    do you sense temperature excessive?
                    The whole motherboard it not coming On that my case, I have no lights, I have all the needed volts 19v,3.3v and other bolts but the board it not coming On, and I was suggesting that the on board cpu is shorted since I'm getting 002 on the continuity mode, Coils and caps on the vcore they give me that value even on the gfx power rail

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                      Keep it simple, measure impedance on resistance mode. value of 002 or higher is quite normal for onboard cpu/gpu.
                      Thank you so much brother

Comment

Check the voltage of the processor 1vdc or 1.2vdc depending on the processor. if you thinks its a shorted processor the voltage will always be 0vdc. Voltage check it first. if you see all the voltage is present you need to check somewhere else the processor don't fail often unless of course if its overheated cheers
                        Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
                          Check the voltage of the processor 1vdc or 1.2vdc depending on the processor. if you thinks its a shorted processor the voltage will always be 0vdc. Voltage check it first. if you see all the voltage is present you need to check somewhere else the processor don't fail often unless of course if its overheated cheers
                          Thank you so much friend but the problem has been solved

Comment

Originally posted by mnciks11 View Post
                            Thank you so much friend but the problem has been solved
                            Hi, how did you solve it?

Comment

Hello house
                              Pls how may I rectify processor shorting on e5430 board.
                              When I removed processor, the shorting will stop, and I've used 3 different processor still shorting whenever processor is installed.
                              Pls what can I do as this is.
                              Anyway out pls

Comment

How are you concluding there is a short ? This many processors cannot be all shorted.

Remove all power. Meter in lowest resistance mode.

What is the resistance to ground of the power rails for the CPU ? Do note that low voltage rails have low resistance to ground readings. They are NOT shorted in such a case.

Post your resistance measurements and where you are taking the measurements.

Comment

OK sir thanks for ur response.
                                  PLs How do I know the CPU power rail.
                                  I'm a beginner sir.

Comment

Configure your meter in resistance mode (lowest scale).

Check the rail you report to be shorted with red meter lead on this test point.

Black meter lead to ground (shield is ok).

What is the resistance to ground ? Post the measurement.

CPUs operate at very low voltages like 0v8 and for this reason, their resistance for the power rails are also very low like 4 ohms, etc.

In diode mode on the meter, the rail can appear to be a short.

You can also confirm the resistance to ground for each coil on the logic board. Coils are often large and grey in color with only 2 large solder legs. The power rail(s) for the CPU will be nearby the CPU itself.

Comment

But i have laptop with vgfx (onboard) cause laptop always turn on and off. I measured all pin accross cpu power ic and found that gfx_sense always 0v and ohm mode show 0ohm. Is this bad CPU?

Comment

Working...
                                      X