HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Dump

Hey everyone. New to the forum and to reading/writing chips in general.

I recently purchased an HP ZBook 17 G2 without any knowledge that there was a BIOS administrator password on the machine. After lots of research, looks like either an smc.bin or manipulation of a BIOS dump are the only 2 options.

I have used the Mazzif utility in the past with success on older laptops but as we all know it doesn't work on anything newer.

Attached is my BIOS Admin password locked dump file. The chip is a Winbond 25Q128FVSQ.

Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G2
    BIOS Version: 1.17 (07/13/2017)
    Motherboard: LA-B391P Rev. 1.0
    Quadro K4100M Graphics

Please let me know if this can be unlocked or if I missed anything and more info is needed!

Much appreciated!

-Mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mdab13; 02-27-2020, 07:05 PM.

Re: HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Dump

Originally posted by mdab13 View Post
    Hey everyone. New to the forum and to reading/writing chips in general.

I recently purchased an HP ZBook 17 G2 without any knowledge that there was a BIOS administrator password on the machine. After lots of research, looks like either an smc.bin or manipulation of a BIOS dump are the only 2 options.

I have used the Mazzif utility in the past with success on older laptops but as we all know it doesn't work on anything newer.

Attached is my BIOS Admin password locked dump file. The chip is a Winbond 25Q128FVSQ.

Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G2
    BIOS Version: 1.17 (07/13/2017)
    Quadro K4100M Graphics

Please let me know if this can be unlocked or if I missed anything and more info is needed!

Much appreciated!

-Mike
    Try
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CraterM View Post
      Try
      I will try later today. I'm not sure if my original dump that I uploaded was 100% good.. last night I erased the BIOS chip and tried to program back the locked backup and now the system won't POST.

I used a CH341a programmer to make the dump and to erase/write. I also have an EZP2019 programmer but could not get it to recognize the chip.

Comment

Unfortunately no luck - I think my CH314a programmer isn't working properly. It takes a lot of tries to get it to connect properly using the chip clip. Once I finally do get a connection and it detects the chip it allows me to read, erase, blank, and write. However it will not verify correctly.

Can anyone recommend a better programmer that isn't super expensive?

Edit: I have tried software versions 1.13, 1.18, 1.29, 1.30, and 1.34. Only versions 1.29 and newer detects my chip properly but all the versions produce the same result.
        Last edited by mdab13; 03-02-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

try..TL866A,CS,ETC..
          Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Unfortunately no luck - I think my CH314a programmer isn't working properly. It takes a lot of tries to get it to connect properly using the chip clip. Once I finally do get a connection and it detects the chip it allows me to read, erase, blank, and write. However it will not verify correctly.

Can anyone recommend a better programmer that isn't super expensive?

Edit: I have tried software versions 1.13, 1.18, 1.29, 1.30, and 1.34. Only versions 1.29 and newer detects my chip properly but all the versions produce the same result.
            ch341a works perfectly with 25Q128FVSQ - use AsProgrammer:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=10
            Last edited by Vesko356; 03-02-2020, 11:32 AM.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
            Become a Badcaps supporter
            >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
            Thanks to all supporters.​
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
              ch341a works perfectly with 25Q128FVSQ - use AsProgrammer:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...6&postcount=10
              MY MAN!!! You just saved me from a week of stress. AsProgrammer software worked like a charm. And the unlocked BIOS file also worked - BIOS is now unlocked.

Thank you guys very much!

Comment

MY MAN!!! You just saved me from a week of stress. AsProgrammer software worked like a charm. And the unlocked BIOS file also worked - BIOS is now unlocked.

Thank you guys very much!
                Congratulations, well done.
                Cheers

AsProgrammer software worked like a charm.
                I know, I know...
                Good job.
                All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                Become a Badcaps supporter
                >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                Thanks to all supporters.​
                Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by CraterM View Post
                  Try
                  Thanks you very much, it worked perfect for my zbook g2, i have reflash bios chip with CH341a in minutes (most complicated parts was to have good connection whit chip clamp ^^)

I'm so happy to unlock this computer after days of research !!!

Comment

HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Administrator

Hi All,

New to the forum and to reading & writing BIOS chips.

I brought an HP Zbook 17 G2 from eBay and discovered that it has a BIOS Administrator password. Got nowhere googling and HP do not supply smc.bin files to unlock the system.

I think I managed to get a bios dump from the machine. The programmer identified the bios as W25Q128.V (16384 kB, SPI). I have attached this in the hopes it is useful.

Laptop: HP Zbook 17 G2
                    Bios Version: M70 Ver. 01.24

Please let me know if this laptop can be unlocked or if I need to supply more details.

Thanks,

Paul.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Administrator

try and report
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I managed to get the chip flashed ( took many attempts to get a good attachment with the clip ). Unfortunately whilst flashrom wrote and verified the chip, I could not start the laptop. It flashes a few times, then the fan kicks in and it sits there - nothing on the screen.

Maybe I got the wrong chip? Or have to reset something else.

There is another winbond chip on the motherboard. I have attached that dump file just in case.

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks,

Paul.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ClementsP View Post
                          Hi,

Thanks for your response. I managed to get the chip flashed ( took many attempts to get a good attachment with the clip ). Unfortunately whilst flashrom wrote and verified the chip, I could not start the laptop. It flashes a few times, then the fan kicks in and it sits there - nothing on the screen.

Maybe I got the wrong chip? Or have to reset something else.

There is another winbond chip on the motherboard. I have attached that dump file just in case.

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks,

Paul.
                          The file that i upload it was your file with password cleared. Just flash the first chip and try. If that not work, use other bios chip (same specs). After this if still not work I think that you damage the mainboard.

Comment

Default HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Dump

Attached is my BIOS Admin password locked dump file

Thank you very much!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Re: Default HP ZBook 17 G2 Locked BIOS Dump

try..
                              Attached Files
                              Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

Comment

thx

Comment

HP ZBook 17 G2 Bios Locked - strange dump

I have locked bios with admin password and additionally the following message:

"The embedded Controller MUD data is not valid while MPM is locked. Please unlock MPM, and lock again to capture valid MUD data."

I already deleted some bios passwords on zbook g1/2 and with deleting the string "biosUser00" and following with just reading/flashing the downside 25Q128 chip.
                                  This time it's different. There is no string (BIOSUser00) in the dump. I reread several times so I think the dump is OK. I desoldered and did not read in circuit. I additionally read (in circuit) the top side 25Q128 chip. Not sure if it is needed. I would be happy for any help:
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: HP ZBook 17 G2 Bios Locked - strange dump

Originally posted by passuff View Post
                                    I have locked bios with admin password and additionally the following message:

"The embedded Controller MUD data is not valid while MPM is locked. Please unlock MPM, and lock again to capture valid MUD data."

I already deleted some bios passwords on zbook g1/2 and with deleting the string "biosUser00" and following with just reading/flashing the downside 25Q128 chip.
                                    This time it's different. There is no string (BIOSUser00) in the dump. I reread several times so I think the dump is OK. I desoldered and did not read in circuit. I additionally read (in circuit) the top side 25Q128 chip. Not sure if it is needed. I would be happy for any help:
                                    try..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Thy for the file. After flashing your file the notebook is not booting anymore. I just see flashing caps lock.
                                      EDIT: definitely bricked now, even with original dump...
                                      Last edited by passuff; 04-14-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

EDITeleted
                                        Last edited by passuff; 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X