Corolla FM CD Cassette Player issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corolla FM CD Cassette Player issues

Hi guys got a Corolla factory cd cassette player that was giving a lot of issues. It's from 06 Corolla, my friend the same unit in his corolla and he has the same issues.

1. Stereo restarts by itself (thought loose connection but does this on bumpy and non bumpy surfaces) ''ST'' letters would blink on off on the radio when this would happen.
    2. Audio cuts in and out randomly for a second or a few minutes at a time.
    3. Shows MTL ERROR (randomly or after turning it on) assuming to do with tape deck which actually plays.
    4. Shows ERROR 3 (randomly or after turning it on)
    5. Shows ERROR (randomly or after turning it on)
    6. CD never worked pain in the butt to put it back together (broke a tab taking it apart and will work on it later.

What I've done (haven't touched my friends unit, it's still in his.car). The deck has good sound and actually has AUX-IN which is why I want to keep it. The deck has no branding and I can't find it online, it's oem and the part #s are dead ends. I took it apart and soldered dry joints on the connectors, on the back, all over the board. NOW I GOT NO SOUND. The CD and cassette parts removed still no audio. FM tunes but it is harder to set the stations than I remember? It's been a few days and nothing, worked once for like 2 mins both on radio and cassette I had audio but now silent. Dead silent no crackling, no audio cutting in and out or even resetting even on bumpy roads. I've found the schematics for microcontroller and the sound ic. Help me get sound back, thanks.

Re: Corolla FM CD Cassette Player issues

Can't help with no pics. You must have screwed up soldering the cold joints and shorted something? Or the power amp IC is bad and cutting out. I would recheck the soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
      Can't help with no pics. You must have screwed up soldering the cold joints and shorted something? Or the power amp IC is bad and cutting out. I would recheck the soldering.

@redwire images are attached here
      https://aman-tesfaye.imgbb.com/
      Last edited by SuperAman; 07-22-2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post

Full resolution images are @ https://aman-tesfaye.imgbb.com/
        Last edited by SuperAman; 07-22-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Attached are the two ic on the board. TC942F audio ic (44 pin) and upd178023gc (80 pin) the microcontroller for whole unit. Then only thing I suspect is on pin 28 and 29 on 80pin ic it looks like the legs are touching (see pics) and I got continuity. What else should I check for?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SuperAman; 07-22-2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Gently lift the supercapacitor and carefully remove this glue without damaging the traces underneath (there is a lot of damage from such glue to the equipment, corrodes metal, damages the soldering of components and conducts electricity).
            And there may be no sound due to the fact that the CD and TAPE drives are disconnected.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by lotas; 07-22-2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
              Gently lift the supercapacitor and carefully remove this glue without damaging the traces underneath (there is a lot of damage from such glue to the equipment, corrodes metal, damages the soldering of components and conducts electricity).
              And there may be no sound due to the fact that the CD and TAPE drives are disconnected.
              I will try to remove the glue and resolder. It has worked before without the tape and cd drives connected and even with them connected there is no sound now.

Comment

After removing the glue, I have found a broken trace and after soldering it and resoldering the audio ic, I have sound now.

Comment

Tested it for an hour with the tape deck and radio, seems to be fine no more audio cutting out or tape restarting or even errors on the screen. I will try to fix the cd unit and put it all back together.

Comment

Working...
                  X