This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

I recieved a bunch of atx psus to fix them asap. Some of them had signs of repair attempts. Two lightweight guttless mtec, and jnc went to the thrash imediatlely.
    This ATLAS has pfc and somewhat decent buid, but it's clearly not going to do 400W. According to the markings it may be a DEER. That smd chip has "2003" written on it. Came with missing caps and blown mbr1645 on he 12V rail. Put and mbr2045 there and recapped it. Works.
    Attached Files

Comment

But is it a real PFC coil or a fake one made from concrete?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Next was an FSP300-60PLN that had a stuck fan. I removed the dust and replaced all the caps, primary too just in case.

I thought the 480W Xilence is probably just bad caps... I was wrong.
        It's a mess. Pcb is like a black dried waffel, buid is clumsy and component ratings are lame. All wires are 20awg and this unit has 8pin cpu and vga! Look at those resistors tied together on the primary. Soldering is a mess too.
        Are those even real Panasonic caps? One cap on the secondary simply fell out when I dissasembled the case.
        This is how it came out of the factory.
        The claimed OCP is non existing. Label says: WARNING - HAZARDOUS

Since I've gone into details for this one let's see the component list.
        Somewhat decent emi filtering.
        6A bridge rectifier.
        Two 470/200 Matsushita primary caps.
        Two 2sc2625 transistors and 2n60 fet for standby.
        5V and 3.3V has an mbr3045 each. 12V has one mbr1645.
        All the small and secondary caps are GL.
        Connectors and the fan are red... wow

This unit is a truly late-evening-shift product
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          But is it a real PFC coil or a fake one made from concrete?
          I looked closely on the pfc coil and it has wires

or they made a realy good pattern into the mold and even painted it copper

also has a polyester capacitor in it.

Comment

Last one from the bunch.
            A somewhat modded Enermax EG465P.
            It had wierd secondary caps among the originals which were probably from motherboards I think. Those caps were out of spec and the psu didn't start. Someone added trimmers to adjust voltages too. I really wanted to keep this unit.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
              Next was an FSP300-60PLN that had a stuck fan. I removed the dust and replaced all the caps, primary too just in case.
              If you don't mind me asking, what are the schottkys of the FSP300-60PLN? ^^; It looks like it has an ample amount of power on the +5V and +3.3V rails so I would think at least 30-40A for both those rails...
              Last edited by Wester547; 07-30-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

That Xilence one is a Leadman.

EDIT: Don't tell me you're recapping them with Teapo!
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                  If you don't mind me asking, what are the schottkys of the FSP300-60PLN? ^^; It looks like it has an ample amount of power on the +5V and +3.3V rails so I would think at least 30-40A for both those rails...
                  Secondary diodes are 5V: MBR4045; 3.3V: MBR3045; 12V: MBR20100.
                  The unit has 20pin motherboard, 4pin aux and a bunch of peripheral cables. I think it's an oem unit for hp or dell systems maybe.

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post

EDIT: Don't tell me you're recapping them with Teapo!
                  I haven't started fixin this up yet. 5vsb and pg signal are present but there is an awfully loud buzzing and the unit doesn't start up.
                  You're going to hate me for this, but yes I mostly use Teapo for psus. Since peope want me to work for an ultra low price...
                  You know, Ruby and Nichi caps are rare here above 1000uF. Actually not rare but those who have access to good brands either having their own stash or know the secret password at stores.
                  Even the big gurus here use Jamicon, Samxon and Ost caps for whatever hardware they fixing. I too have some old Nichicon pw and Ruby yxf, big 385-460V Epcos and Chemicon caps too. I just don't have a big stock since I just occasionally do repairs and I don't want to waste those for units like this Xilence and like.

I just bought a DSO to replace my dead russki scope. Once again I can measure ripple. Maybe I'll order good brand caps sometime as well.

Comment

You're going to hate me for this, but yes I mostly use Teapo for psus. Since peope want me to work for an ultra low price...
                    Yeah right, it's less expensive to do it properly in the first place than to have to do it again 3 years on. Especially considering the damage bad caps can cause...

Comment

I have the 420W one, and it has the same PCB color and GL secondary caps, passive PFC also. And yes mine has 20AWG wires too. Transformer is large enough, and no missing parts, and it's worked fine till now (4 years), but i haven't used it much, maybe 3 months a year.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                        Yeah right, it's less expensive to do it properly in the first place than to have to do it again 3 years on. Especially considering the damage bad caps can cause...
                        My excuse is that I use the sy series and not sc. Really... these Teapo caps can't be that f-ing horrible. Who knows where these psu will be in 3 years anyway. I know, I'm a monster

I've seen a Gigabyte "450" watt psu recently and it was pure crap. Some really lame build with 470uf and 1000uf teapo caps tiny heatsinks and balls of solder everywhere, also no emi and pi filter.
                        In fact I'm going to get one just to see why Gigabyte put it's name on some junk like this.

Comment

Who knows where these psu will be in 3 years anyway. I know, I'm a monster
                          It should be designed to run for at least 50,000 hours without problems. If it can't, then it's not up to my quality standards.

Comment

WOW, that xilence is a real piece of crap!

And that Atlas has a real PFC coil!
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I class Teapo down with Fuhjyyu. I know most don't, but if you guys gave me a dollar for every failed Teapoo I pull from a PSU, I'd be rich.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I class Teapo down with Fuhjyyu. I know most don't, but if you guys gave me a dollar for every failed Teapoo I pull from a PSU, I'd be rich.

I agree. For me, teapo is so-so, but not nearly as bad as fuhjyyu!
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

The difference between them (save for being underspec'd for whatever application) is that Teapo will last notably longer if treated well (kept cool, little stress, etc). Fuhjyyu will fail relatively quickly no matter how well they're treated.

Comment

I have seen Fujyuyuy last a long time, but their quality, like that of CapXon, is very indeterminate. Some caps may be okay. But 10-15% of them are CRAP! And it often only takes one bad cap to bring down a PSU...
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                      The difference between them (save for being underspec'd for whatever application) is that Teapo will last notably longer if treated well (kept cool, little stress, etc). Fuhjyyu will fail relatively quickly no matter how well they're treated.
                                      I disagree. I find that both fail very quickly, even if they aren't that stressed. In fact, I've seen lots of PSUs with good fuhjyyus and vented teapos.

Comment

I disagree. I find that both fail very quickly, even if they aren't that stressed. In fact, I've seen lots of PSUs with good fuhjyyus and vented teapos.
                                        Maybe then the only answer is that the quality of the materials in the supply chain varies (maybe that's why many such experiences are rather just that - anecdotal), since no one capacitor fails in the same exact length of time given the divergent operating conditions and setups they're in. Maybe Teapo are better, though - Teapo input capacitors seem to last much longer than Fuhjyyu input capacitors do, anyway.
                                        Last edited by Wester547; 07-31-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

^
                                          That's probably it, or maybe I just happen to get all of Teapo's rejects.

Comment

Working...
                                          X