Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

400watt max!

BTW welcome

Comment

Originally posted by _chiller_ View Post
      OEM is HKC
      Huntkey? I know they love FCon. I'd expect better (just not much better) from them, though.

Comment

I don´t know. If you look on the top left of the circuit board, you can see the name of it: HKC20120510

I´ve tested it now. The efficiency is very poor. I compared it with an Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 400W (80 Plus Bronze).
        Left: L8 400W; Right: ATX780HM
        81,3W / 91,9W
        184,1W / 203,5W
        320,6W / 352,3W
        394,7W / 473,3W

The PSU doesn´t stop working, but I ended it here. The 12V Rail was at 11,194V at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
          Huntkey?
          Nope, them he meant...

The L8-400W is btw FSP APN based...

Comment

ATX-500W

As the "LY-320B" on the PCB implies, this is a 320W max psu.

The fuse is blown and the main switching transistors (2x 2SC2625) are shorted.

One of the primary capacitors bulged from top and the bottom and desoldered itself from PCB trying to launch!

I checked the bleeder resistors and I was pretty sure that one of them would be open. But they were found ok! Considering this unit also lacks any active PFC, that cap should not have failed. "H.Q." caps should be called "T.Q." as Terrible Quality capacitors.

-4x IN5408 3A diodes instead of a bridge rectifier

-13005 4A 5vsb transistor

-2x 2SC2625 shorted NPN switching transistors

-SBL3040PT @ 3.3V

-MBR3045PT @ 5V

-STPR1620CT @ 12V

All the output voltages have filter coils and the positive voltages have 2x 1000uF "H.Q." caps.

The main transformer and toroid coils are good for 300W.

Does anyone know who is the OEM? The PCB layout is very similar to Macron Power 300/350W.

The fan is "WAM".

Not worth repairing.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by goodpsusearch; 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
              ATX-500W

As the "LY-320B" on the PCB implies, this is a 320W max psu.

The fuse is blown and the main switching transistors (2x 2SC2625) are shorted.

One of the primary capacitors bulged from top and the bottom and desoldered itself from PCB trying to launch!

I checked the bleeder resistors and I was pretty sure that one of them would be open. But they were found ok! Considering this unit also lacks any active PFC, that cap should not have failed. "H.Q." caps should be called "T.Q." as Terrible Quality capacitors.

-4x IN5408 3A diodes instead of a bridge rectifier

-13005 4A 5vsb transistor

-2x 2SC2625 shorted NPN switching transistors

-SBL3040PT @ 3.3V

-MBR3045PT @ 5V

-STPR1620CT @ 12V

All the output voltages have filter coils and the positive voltages have 2x 1000uF "H.Q." caps.

The main transformer and toroid coils are good for 300W.

Does anyone know who is the OEM? The PCB layout is very similar to Macron Power 300/350W.

The fan is "WAM".

Not worth repairing.
              Maybe "H.Q." means Horrible Quality
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hahaha, these pictures bring back memories of PC PSU's.

This is quite probably too late considering it's been a few years (Like twenty years!), but if any of you guys ever get a Lite-On or certain Dell PSU's with some foul language scratched into the green underside of the PCB then I might be able to tell you who did it

Yes, I was young & stupid at one time and I used to work at a branch of Lite-On in the repairs section.

Comment

Originally posted by paulnetv View Post

This is quite probably too late considering it's been a few years (Like twenty years!), but if any of you guys ever get a Lite-On or certain Dell PSU's with some foul language scratched into the green underside of the PCB then I might be able to tell you who did it

Yes, I was young & stupid at one time and I used to work at a branch of Lite-On in the repairs section.
                  thats was you? i thought we had someone screwing around in the scrap pile. i found two!
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    thats was you? i thought we had someone screwing around in the scrap pile. i found two!
                    We need proof! :P
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                      They were the good ol' times

Have you still got them?

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                        We need proof! :P
                        They were the good ol' times

Have you still got them?
                        i will see if its still there this Saturday when i go back, but chances are its long gone.
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Being honest, I think it's a long shot, most of the PSU's I worked on were rejects from Compaq factory in Scotland, We repaired an awful lot of them that were sent over from Taiwan then failed, I fixed & personalised a fair few, in fact it was probably many thousands!

I wonder how many PC's were sent to the states from Compaq in Scotland? Pitney Bowes Franking machines had a nice little PSU in them, One or two of those might have been personalised too

Comment

Thanks for the post. We run a 7 year old dell poweredge 840 server and it gives me hope that your system had very good looking caps in the power supply even after 7 years of continuous runtime.

Originally posted by bobcaygeon View Post
                            Delta DPS-450DB S

This power supply powered a Xeon 2.6Ghz server with 5 10k RPM drives, a whopping 2GB of RAM, and various other peripherals 24x7 for nearly 7 years straight till it was finally retired about two years ago. I thought I would take a peak inside of it since its just been sitting on the shelf.

Remarkably little dust in the unit for running all that time, but I pretty much attribute to it being in a climate controlled environment. It looks pretty overbuilt for a 450W unit, especially compared to the power supplies I see nowadays. Its about an inch longer than a typical ATX power supply, and has a 24 pin ATX connector with the EPS connector, with plenty of Molex but unfortunately no SATA connectors. The primary is on one half of the clamshell and the secondary components appear to be on the other. It appears to have voltage adjusts for all the main rails. Its nearly an all Nippon Chemicon line up in there, but I did spot one small value Ltec in the lot.

The duct tape seen on some of the power connectors is my addition. The power cables were all zip tied together, but I had to cut the tie in order to open up the supply and that was all I had on hand as a replacement. :-)

Comment

Do you mean to say that Lite-on power supplies are unreliable, bad stock capacitors and poorly oiled ADDA sleeve bearing fans aside? I know that some Lite-on power supplies have problems (conductive glue, leaky transistors sometimes, etc) but I'd guess they're still better than much of the junk out there.

Comment

Do you know who did this?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Just by the looks of the heatsinks, it's definately a HIPRO

Comment

That common mode inductor has pretty poorly separated wiring…
                                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The heatsinks look like HIPRO, but the choice of caps, SG6105D and Hang Sing transformer makes me think otherwise. LC Power?

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                                        LC Power?
                                        Yeah, an old LC-Power. How'd you know? ;-)

Solder quality is pretty shitty, I don't have a good pic though...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                          Yeah, an old LC-Power. How'd you know? ;-)
                                          I'd guess by the PCB silkscreen number 'LCxxxxxx'
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X