FSP400-60GLN worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FSP400-60GLN worth fixing?

Yeah, this seems to be new behavior in firefox 52... It is usually correct (when trying to POST login/password over a non-https link), but very annoying...

--- EDIT ---

Odd, looks like the problem went away for one situation where the login/password field was actually encrypted, but nevertheless gave the warning anyway. Fixed in 52.2 it seems. In any case you should still be able to use it, despite it being very obtrusive.
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The site does have a SSL certificate so you can access it via HTTPS.
      That will get rid of the warning but redirection is not active.
      So it will switch back to HTTP when you click certain links.
      Here is more info: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...491#post748491

But please don't discuss this in this thread about the FSP PSU!
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hi,
        I have a FSP500-60GLN that was used 24/7 for many years before starting to act up.
        Eventually the PC wouldn't boot and it even lost the network connection at standby.

Pretty much every electrolytic cap was bulged and bad. I have changed everything except the big OST 390uf/450V.
        Now, the +5VSB is stable but the PSU doesn't turn on.
        D41/D42 have been replaced with UF4007. It was clear that this area had been running hot.

All cables are directly soldered to the board including mains and fan, which makes it a real pain to work on.
        I don't have an isolation transformer and poking around in this with power on does not feel safe.
        The SMD resistors and diodes mentioned in this thread seems to be fine, and the optocouplers have also been changed to rule them out.

Any suggestions on what to check for from the experts?

Comment

Check if some of the output rectifiers has not gone shorted, that sometimes happens especially with all caps bad. I have actually even seen the -12V diode bad couple times (mostly in different units, but still).
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Don't think they are shorted.
            The reason is I measured the 5VSB again today and it was only 4.68V.
            The last few times I checked it was 5.05, but the PSU didn't start.

At the next power cycle it suddenly turned on and started working.
            +12V: 12.27
            +5V: 5.03
            +5VSB: 5.07
            +3.3V: 3.50 (high, but I only had bulbs and resistors on 5/12V)
            Hmm....

Comment

The following SMD components are missing:
              D35
              R22, R23
              R32, R45A
              R53, R54, R81
              C31, C38, C80

Where to find the correct values?

Comment

"At the next power cycle it suddenly turned on and started working. "
                Had almost identical experiences as var123, changes of caps, etc., but as reported above, +3, & +/-12 lines couldn't support sensible loading - only +5V fully functional. So far unable to locate what seems to be a single fault location.
                "SMD resistors and diodes mentioned in this thread seems to be fine"
                But, beware: have you looked underneath them all?! Prolonged overheating can char the adhesive spot and give partial (or full, even) shorting.

Comment

Has annyone tried replacing the 8mm Caps on minor rails with Polymers?
                  Can/will that work?

The rest can be refitted with 10mm ones. Well, depending on the revision...

Here my revision of this unit:

And I didn't have good 8mm caps at hand and used what I've got out of other units...

Comment

Originally posted by Elitist View Post
                    But, beware: have you looked underneath them all?! Prolonged overheating can char the adhesive spot and give partial (or full, even) shorting.
                    There is only one that is brownish. R42 (2R0) under the hot 5VSB diodes.
                    I have checked R42 several times and tapped it while measuring.
                    Guess it could still be charred on the inside and malfunction under load.

The big OST cap is ok. 361uF, ESR: 0.29.
                    No cold solder joints. PFC coil looks fine.
                    Could be some intermittent problem with the transformer or a leaky diode, but which one?

R81,C80 and R45A belong to the 5VSB. One would think that these are somewhat critical.
                    The rest of the missing components seems to be on the 3.3V rail.

Comment

Seems that the latest BSII I acquired had the diode so hot it nearly burned a hole in the PCB, again. It atually has green salt on it as it started corroding. I've seen such carnage before so there is no reason to repair this - chances are it will get conductive enough for the high voltage that the whole circuit will be screwed. If it goes down to few kiloohms it's already useless. And cutting the PCB part out and so some other major operations…nah, no way, got plenty other things to work on which actually do have some financial sense.

So it will be available for spare parts, if anybody needs. Per Hansson, yo still want that transformer?
                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Yes please
                        If it's this transformer I posted about here for a Corsair CX400W:
                        Top: VEE19FB10
                        Side:
                        SBI4.2
                        E150436 C
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Eek, that one is most likely CWT. I mean for this FSP GLN/BSII:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=132

Comment

Naa, the CX400 was Seasonic.

Comment

" the diode " - which one? position, value/type, etc?
                              One of the big problems with all these mass produced structures is that flux removal both after wave soldering and, esp. after-machine-assembly, hand soldered components and wiring may be insufficient. It's usually accomplished by a solvent wash, but this is often too cursory for heavy deposits. Excess flux degrades after many heat cycles, may hydrolyse inter alia and may become conductive. Anyone spending (far too much) cash on their prized electronics would be well-advised to wipe over boards with e.g. a paint brush dipped in a lower alkanol - IPA is preferable but I suppose cheap vodka might do...
                              If anyone has good PSU transformers surplus, mindful of the above conversations, they would be most welcome here.
                              Otherwise, not making much progress with repairs. The conundrum is that my dud units worked perfectly for ~2-3 yrs, caps, diodes, overheated Rs all replaced. All these expedients seem to fix PG, +5V, but none of the other lines???

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                Eek, that one is most likely CWT. I mean for this FSP GLN/BSII:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=132
                                I link to the Corsair CX400W in that thread
                                And it's a Seasonic platform.
                                source:
                                Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                Oh yeah, it's the 400W version, the only one made by Seasonic…I can see that now.

Than it's classic OEM version of S12II…those are quite common but I don't know if anybody made or got any drawing of that…
                                Originally posted by Elitist View Post
                                " the diode " - which one? position, value/type, etc?
                                It's been discussed before in this thread.
                                For example a wildcard search for "D4*" brings this as the earliest hit:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...%2A#post456335
                                Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-16-2017, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Per. Quite a few diodes have been mentioned so wanted to be certain which.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                    I link to the Corsair CX400W in that thread
                                    And it's a Seasonic platform.
                                    source: [/url]
                                    Oh yeah, this one. Haven't been looking through that, thought you had some bad GLN

Anyway, parts from this BSII are available. As for Seasonic, don't think I have some I am willing to ditch, not yet anyway. Got a S12II 360W somewhere in the junk though, missing fan and possibly more things, maybe I'll decide to scrap it when I'll find it next time. I don't even have an idea what's the state of it, besides the missing parts I have some serious stuff to work on, some I can actually start making some money from (finally), so it's maybe time to ditch all this crap, I am way too often just wasting time with it to no end, can't continue like this forever…
                                    Last edited by Behemot; 09-16-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I have a 2006 FSP400-60GLN which +5VSB is OK but main PSU doesn't start (after 88ms the PS223 undervoltage condition is triggered, +5 and +3.3 are below 2V, +12 below 5V, +5VSB still OK, VCCP is 15V)
                                      Primary and secondary sections seems OK, PFC during startup rises from 325 to 375V (230V mains here).
                                      Opto M2 in the feedback loop is OK but CM6800 still skips cycles before being stopped.
                                      I was wondering if the primary of the main transformer (SPI 8TG00171) is shorted which would trigger the DClim protection of the CM6800 (R69 is OK but isn't looking good), So I've unsoldered T1 and here is what I measured:
                                      • Pri 0.8 ohms 12.3mH
                                      • Aux 0.3 ohms 0.05mH
                                      • 12V 0.3 ohms 0.14mH
                                      • 5V 0.1 ohms, 0.05mH
                                      • a few pF between Pri and Aux, so they are not shorted together

I can't tell what the test frequency is but it should be the same for all measurements.
                                      Do you think the transfomer is OK?

The PSU was working great but was offline most of the time (never in stand-by mode). After running several hours in a hot environment (more than 35°C) I switched it OFF normally but then I've never been able to turn it ON again :/

Since it is my first post here, I would like also to thank you for the schematic of the blue storm II 500W and the experiments you shared, they are very helpful!

Comment

I can possibly unsolder it from the BSII I posted above and measure the inductance with AVR tester…

Comment

That would be interesting, I think this is the kind of tester I have too ( http://www.dx.com/p/transistor-teste...r-meter-414196 ), thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X