Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Powering up a Car Antenna a "different" way

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
    Really sorry but i guess i just dont understand the drawing. For example, com1 and com2. They are switches and they appear to be somehow involved/connected with the blue dotted line........what does this mean?

What are N/C and N/O?
    normally connected .normally open

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
      i am enclosing the front and back views of the antenna showing how the wires are connected.
      How about the backside of the relay board?
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

First use a felt pen and put some dots/stripes 1,2,3,4 on the blue wires, so they don't get mixed up.

I think this is right:
        Swap the two wires at the motor's terminals. (D2 and B2)
        Swap the two wires at the limit switch, the two that go to the relay board. You can do this at the switch end (A2 and C2) or at the relay board end (A1 and C1), whatever is easiest to solder.

This will make it default to antenna UP instead of antenna DOWN.
        To understand common relay pin names, such as COM, N/C, N/O check out the relay's datasheet, part number is L-12VDC-S-2Z.

Comment

i swapped D2 and B2 (the wires to the terminals of the motor).
          I swapped A1 and C1 on the printed circuit board.
          I connected black wire to neg terminal
          I connected red wire to postitive terminal

Results: Nothing happened. I touched green wire to both the black and red and notheirng happened...nothing moved.

So i swapped red and black on the battery.
          I connected black wire to positive terminal
          I connected red wire to negative terminal
          Results: AS soon as last wire was connected antenna "moved out or up".

Which is good right. But no way to get it to come back in or down...........i could not get antenna to come back into its housing.

Comment

ok, i just realized something.........in an earlier post someone said something about just switching the black and red wires..........which i did.............i forgot to change them back to their original positions on the printed circuit board let me do this and then get backto you all.

sorry about that.

Comment

ok so here is what i found out.

Antenna moving out/up:
              Connect Red wire to positive lead of battery
              Connect Black wire to negative lead of battery
              As soon as this is done antenna begins to move out or up.
              But touching green wire to either black or red does not seem to do anything.

Antenna moving in/down:
              Connect Black wire to positive lead of battery
              Connect Red wire to negative lead of battery
              As soon as this is done antenna begins to move in or down.
              But touching green wire to either black or red does not seem to do anything.

Did i kill the relay or something?

Comment

In the diagram, common1 and common2 are the common point of one of the two relay contacts
                the relay is a DPDT relay (google it) when there is no voltage applied to the coil, the N/C normally closed contacts are connected to the common, and the N/O normally open contacts are...open. when the relay is energized (voltage across the coil) the common will be connected to the N/O contacts and the N/C contacts between common will be opened.
                The relay coil should measure aprox 270Ω
                A 9 volt battery won't kill the relay.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------
                In the picture, with battery negative on pin 5, the green wire needs to be connected to positive to activate. If you had the positive of the battery connected to pin5 the green wire would need to be connected to battery negative to activate. That's it
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 12-06-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

R_J, Read your comments....will read again to make sure i understand. Basically your saying relay oil needs positive voltage difference across it to energize it ......right.

What about all the other connections........how do i connect those to get the desired result....if you know.

thanks to all.

Comment

When you connect the battery (nothing on green relay coil wire) , the antenna should (now) move down and then stop, as it goes past the limit switch which disconnects the motor.
                    Instead, it's not doing that - it stops but you can reverse battery polarity and it moves in the reverse direction up. So it hasn't fully hit the limit switch (down) end.

I'd say your 9V battery is getting weak or is just too whimpy for this motor.
                    Between green and black 9V should always make the relay click, note it is undervoltaged with less than 9V but a 12V coil, so it might not always pull in.

Comment

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont ask me why but i got rid of the 9v battery setup and went to a 12V battery setup. I did this because of something someone mentioned in one of the replies to one of my questions.........anyway, when i do this............IT WORKS as my friend wanted.

When i connect the red to +12V and the black to ground.........if the antenna is not up it goes up ......if already up then does nothing. If antenna all the way up and i now take green wire and connect it to the red wire then the antenna goes down...............

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X