Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving 60" 70" + Display Panels From Cracks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving 60" 70" + Display Panels From Cracks...

My initial experience in TV repair taught me that, a backlight (LED-LCD) problem (where the problem is specifically the LEDs or LCDs) was akin to a cracked screen.. Not repairable...

I subsequently learned that it IS possible to replace bad LED/LCD strips if one is careful..

Such careful-ness REALLY comes into play in the larger TVs...

With TVs 50" or less, I can hold my own.. I have about a 80%-90% success rate.... Things get dice'er when I am on a 52" or 55"... Bout 65% success rate.....

When I hit 60 or above, things usually go sideways... It's 50/50. On those, sometimes I get the bear, sometimes the bear gets me...

Is there a commercial device/framework that allows (ideally) one person to lift off and move 60" display panels??

Barring a ready-made commercial device, anyone have any ideas on constructing one??

I see one of two possibilities..

Thin slates that slide under the panel...

Or suction cups that latch onto the top of the panel and lift it off..

The former has the disadvantage of coming in direct contact with the underside of the panel and maybe causing scratches.. The latter, there is the possibility of losing suction in mid move and the whole thing comes crashing down..

Anyone have any other ideas for such a device??

Re: Saving 60" 70" + Display Panels From Cracks...

If only they would make them so the leds strips were removable from the rear of the panel. Slide the strips out on one or other side. Not a major alteration to set manufacture or cost, but a great help to the repairer.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
      If only they would make them so the leds strips were removable from the rear of the panel. Slide the strips out on one or other side. Not a major alteration to set manufacture or cost, but a great help to the repairer.
      A-frakin'-men to that!!!

OTOH, a successful LED/LCD repair job usually nets me a pretty decent repair fee...

Comment

I am picturing in my head, a device that uses both suction cups and cross pieces under the display panel..

Picture an adjustable framework of suction cups that you can stick onto the top of the panel.. Then, from one side, lift up the panel and slide in flat slats covered in cloth to minimize scratching.. Figure 4 or 5 cross slats under the panel should be sufficient to hold the panel securely without any bending or twisting.. Then a bar that runs horizontally atop the whole contraption so that a single person can lift the panel off and place it on a separate work surface...

That's what I am picturing.. Where is Howard Wolowitz when ya need 'im!!

Comment

The problem with suction cups appears to be if it puts too much suction on the panel it can leave circles on the display that can be seen when reassembled and running.
          After saying this it's only one person who has reported this problem on the forum.

Comment

ACK! That wouldn't be good...

Comment

One big frame with some shaft or spindle
              Some wires,adjustable in lenght,as many as you need,but more I think is better.
              Little suction cup,big ones may crack glass when used.
              Also can be used some vacuum pump (more easy to release when need it)
              Place frame on top of glass panel,attach each suction cup and adjust cable lenght.
              Then spin all shafts using some device and glass panel will be lifted.
              If you adjust wire lenght OK then all glass will be lifted in proper manner,no bending,no crack.

You may even let it on device,if big enough (and no earthquake or tornado are announced),repair backlight then revese shafts spin and will go down on his place.

If not clear enough,something like a crane but with multiple points of attach.
              Last edited by gabiz_ro; 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gabiz_ro View Post
                One big frame with some shaft or spindle
                Some wires,adjustable in lenght,as many as you need,but more I think is better.
                Little suction cup,big ones may crack glass when used.
                Also can be used some vacuum pump (more easy to release when need it)
                Place frame on top of glass panel,attach each suction cup and adjust cable lenght.
                Then spin all shafts using some device and glass panel will be lifted.
                If you adjust wire lenght OK then all glass will be lifted in proper manner,no bending,no crack.

You may even let it on device,if big enough (and no earthquake or tornado are announced),repair backlight then revese shafts spin and will go down on his place.

If not clear enough,something like a crane but with multiple points of attach.
                That's top of the line thinking!!

Probably outside of my skill-set, but wow...

Comment

I lift them of with the plastic outer shell complete
                  I just tape the screen to the plastic shell in a few places . have had no issues
                  I have seen some take of the back with the screen laying down , but thats asking for problems when resembling and not aligning the diffuses
                  I have also gone away from replacing individual leds as they don't seem to last (do it for friends only)
                  I buy complete sets ,that way i can sell for a good price
                  Last edited by chrismurphy; 05-09-2018, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I remove the big panels by standing the set upright on its side, then tilting it slightly until the panel begins to move forward, then I grab the panel and lean it, upright, against a wall.

In the factory, they use a suction cup apparatus to move the panels around and place in the set. They are very pricey. In this post, I discuss a couple of dual suction cup grippers as lifters.

Comment

(I posted this a long time ago, still works for me every time)I use a sheet of thick brown rapping paper (I have a roll 48" wide) , and slide this under the panel from the end without the tabs, then with a second pair of hands lift away like you would with a person on a blanket.the paper supports the screen and refitting it is just the reverse. I have with help used this for screen sizes up to 70" with no problems. I hope this is of help to you Flocko

Comment

Thanx to all the great replies and ideas..

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                          I remove the big panels by standing the set upright on its side, then tilting it slightly until the panel begins to move forward, then I grab the panel and lean it, upright, against a wall.

In the factory, they use a suction cup apparatus to move the panels around and place in the set. They are very pricey. In this post, I discuss a couple of dual suction cup grippers as lifters.
                          +1, This seems like better method than just grabbing it up from a flat position, a lot less stress on panel.

Comment

Could something like this.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-Doubl...UAAOxy5P9RGrUG

... be used without cracking or damaging the panel??

Comment

I see today in a catalogue an 82" set now available - good luck!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
                                I see today in a catalogue an 82" set now available - good luck!!!!!
                                ACK!!!

While I would love to have that one on my wall, I would dread having to change an LED strip!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                                  Could something like this.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-Doubl...UAAOxy5P9RGrUG

... be used without cracking or damaging the panel??
                                  Harbor Freight has these dual suckers. I still don't trust them enough to actually lift a large panel lying flat. The glass is aawwffuull thin on those.

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
                                    Harbor Freight has these dual suckers. I still don't trust them enough to actually lift a large panel lying flat. The glass is aawwffuull thin on those.
                                    Yea, I hear ya... I might pick up a pair and see how the work. I have a bunch of 60s and 70s who's screens are already cracked..

I'll let ya know how it pans out..

Comment

Well, I gotta say... If I had had these nifty doodads, I would not have destroyed at least a dozen TVs....

Ahh well.. Live and learn...

Available at Harbor Freight ($4 for the single orange ones and $8 for the paired red ones)....

The single orange ones work great for the under 50" and under TVs... For the +50", the red ones provide better support and control...

I was kinda wary using the red dual suction ones because they have a real grip to them.. But I tested it and it didn't mess with the integrity of the panel..

All that's left is some suction marks that wipe right off..

So, these handy doodads look like the answer to my prayers...

Hopefully, the thickness of the panels is constant..
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I think a mixture of two methods may well work best.
                                        Use suction cups to initially lift the panel to give sufficient clearance for flocko's method of sliding the thick brown paper underneath. Then the suction cups could be released minimising the time the vacuum cups are attached to the panel avoiding the possibility of damaging it due to much pressure possibly created by the suction cups.

Comment

Working...
                                        X