Oscilloscope kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscilloscope kits

Has anyone bought, assembled, and used one of these $20 scopes?
    Attached Files

Re: Oscilloscope kits

julien ilet did on utube - you probably want to check that vid!

Comment

I had to laugh, youtube vids of DSO-138's that died after running for a minute...

https://jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138.php
      "If you are thinking to purchase DSO138 it is suggested to consider DSO138mini. DSO138mini is an improved model of DSO138 with better structure, smaller size, battery powered, and more features. It also has a nice optional acrylic enclosure. The documents have recently been enriched with particularly those for beginners like troubleshooting guide and testing guide. Price for DSO138mini would be the same or lower than that of DSO138. "
      For details visit http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e138mini.php "

I haven't run either, but not sure how useful a $20 scope is.

Comment

I built one a while back "just for fun" it is ok for what it is (more of a "toy" than a "real" scope) but the QC concerns are definitely justified as it took me two kits to get one working unit (the first one just had a flashing black screen, I double checked all the connections and voltages so I suspect a bad IC), the one in your pic appears to be the pre-assembled ("welded", I.e. soldered) version so they theoretically should have tested it at the factory, while I got the kit version which came as a PCB and bag of components (which Amazon had on sale for $6 at the time, though it was an "add on item" so I had to make a $25 purchase to get it). With only a 200 KHz bandwidth it's usefulness is rather limited though.

(Note the soldering here is mine, so if you buy the pre-assembled version it may be better or worse)

Here it is in operation (along with the XR2206 function generator kit):

And here it is compared to my "real" oscilloscope:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dmill89; 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

200KHz (1MSps) is still good enough to deal with audio work.
          And perusing the original designer's site, the above post looks like that's a chinese copycat that the original designer is trying to get an injunction against and failing...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            200KHz (1MSps) is still good enough to deal with audio work.
            And perusing the original designer's site, the above post looks like that's a chinese copycat that the original designer is trying to get an injunction against and failing...
            Yep, if you buy one of these from eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc. the odds of getting a copy are probably better then the odds of getting a real JYE. Banggood.com claims to be selling genuine JYE kits/units (though I don't have any personal verification of this) if that is important to you (I don't really support counterfeits but there is a certain irony in JYE trying to "protect" a largely open-source design, I suppose you may get better QC with a genuine JYE though).

Comment

I have one of those DSO138. Ordered it locally and got it working right after the assembly.
              As said above - good for troubleshooting audio equipment and power supplies.
              There are lot's of videos reviewing its features and limitations.

Comment

Working...
              X