GTX 570 Graphics Card damaged components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 570 Graphics Card damaged components

Got this card from a friend, didn't notice it was damaged until I came to fit it, luckily didn't get to fitting it.

2 of the components have lifted off, 1 is the black thing labelled as 330 0n7pe , no surprise google returns nothing really on it, the legs on this have snapped but the contacts are still there and i've managed to get it to stay in position with a solder blob either side and does now read like the rest on the board.

There's a small SMD capacitor (right next to the soldered part) that's missing that i've no idea the value of, which is my main question really, any way to find the value without lifting another off the board to test it, or someone who knows how these types of things work in conjunction with other components to determine the value.

(I know this isn't a ideal soldering job and not condoning it but it's the only way I could get a reliable connection and for it not to move, gotta clean up the capacitor next to it as solder transferred but nothing is bridging)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by anotherdude; 11-14-2016, 08:42 AM.

Re: GTX 570 Graphics Card damaged components

the cap that is missing is 100% the same value as the other 2 below it also where you have soldered that black cap and the 2 smaller one have care that the solder is not shorting across the bigger one and the smaller ones also check very carefully for other missing caps as if they are missing and you try to power it up you can fry the gpu irreparably
    Last edited by dragos2009; 11-14-2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
      the cap that is missing is 100% the same value as the other 2 below it also where you have soldered that black cap and the 2 smaller one have care that the solder is not shorting across the bigger one and the smaller ones also check very carefully for other missing caps as if they are missing and you try to power it up you can fry the gpu irreparably
      Ye, I have checked for shorts just gotta clean it up, I know the caps are all of the same value in that area, I just don't know what the value is, which is the problem, any ideas other than removing the other caps? (prefer not to if possible)

Comment

From reading round that 1 cap being missing shouldn't make too much of a difference it's when you see multiple bad/missing caps that problems occur, anyone able to shed some light on that?

Comment

It would be better if you tell us what's written on its labels like serial number and/or Model , and which manufacturer made it if available . If you can take Better lighted pictures and zooming on the missing parts is suggested too as those are very dark ..

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
            It would be better if you tell us what's written on its labels like serial number and/or Model , and which manufacturer made it if available . If you can take Better lighted pictures and zooming on the missing parts is suggested too as those are very dark ..
            The smd parts have no labels that I can see anyway, the card is a PNY GTX 570, plugged it into my pc to see anyway, thought the worst that could happen is it wouldn't boot.

Card seems to work in a fashion, POST is centred in the middle of my screen, windows is the same and drivers won't install for it, NVIDIA drivers complain that no compatible hardware was found, plus windows driver updater complains of a missing line in the inf file, guessing it's not actually being recognised as a 570 anymore

Will get better pictures

Comment

Originally posted by anotherdude View Post
              The smd parts have no labels that I can see anyway, the card is a PNY GTX 570, plugged it into my pc to see anyway, thought the worst that could happen is it wouldn't boot.

Card seems to work in a fashion, POST is centred in the middle of my screen, windows is the same and drivers won't install for it, NVIDIA drivers complain that no compatible hardware was found, plus windows driver updater complains of a missing line in the inf file, guessing it's not actually being recognised as a 570 anymore

Will get better pictures
              SMD capacitors rarely are labeled , and you have to measure an equal one near it , but what i doubted is , sometimes they mark parts but do not equip it as the same board it will be for many models and revisions .. Zooming would confirm to me if what you think missing are only pads .

Let Nvidia check your system and suggest the best driver .
              Last edited by jiroy; 11-14-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                SMD capacitors rarely are labeled , and you have to measure an equal one near it , but what i doubted is , sometimes they mark parts but do not equip it as the same board it will be for many models and revisions .. Zooming would confirm to me if what you think missing are only pads .

Let Nvidia check your system and suggest the best driver .
                Sorry should of explained better, the black component has it's legs still attached to the board, all that was left was 2 small copper contacts either side on the actual component, couldn't solder wires to it reliably so went for a blob either side as the contacts are so small.

The missing capacitor next to it, pads are fine on the board, just needed the capacitor.

I've since found working drivers 353.30-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql which recognised the card, just stress tested it for a hour, no issues

Comment

This might help, as you can see C636 & C639 are not installed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This might help, as you can see C636 & C639 are not installed. Do you mean C590? should be the same value as C504

Comment

From reading round that 1 cap being missing shouldn't make too much of a difference it's when you see multiple bad/missing caps that problems occur, anyone able to shed some light on that?
                      Yes, if the missing ceramic cap is on a power rail (which it seems to be, in your case), then it's not a problem to use the card as-is without that cap. That's because the power rails usually have many ceramic caps in parallel, so if one or two are missing, it's not a problem. But if you just want to put something there for the peace of mind, generally 1-4.7 uF is used on the 12V rails and 1-10 uF on the low voltage rails (such as GPU V_core, RAM Vdd/Vddq, and etc.)

Personally, I've seen a GeForce 7600 GT that was missing a ton of those ceramic caps (the original owner used it for testing and always left it on his desk unprotected). It worked fine... or so until the Sacon FZ capacitors blew and took out the RAM.

The black "thing" with the "330 0n7pe" marks is a Tantalum capacitor. Given the marks, it should be 330 uF. Not sure what voltage, but probably 16V or less.

As for the video card drivers: I *never* use the latest one from the nVidia website, precisely because I've had this problem with their installation utility not detecting my video card properly and/or giving me BS errors. So typically what I do, is I look at when the video card was released (for the GTX 5x0 series, that's around 2010-2011, if I remember correctly) and then get drivers that are a year or so newer.

plus windows driver updater complains of a missing line in the inf file
                      Please tell me you are not using one of those 3rd part driver updater utilities found everywhere on the internet. These things are terrible and will slow down your system quite a bit (or at least a few years back when multi-core CPUs were not the norm, this mattered... I suppose it's not that much of a big deal nowadays).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Yes, if the missing ceramic cap is on a power rail (which it seems to be, in your case), then it's not a problem to use the card as-is without that cap. That's because the power rails usually have many ceramic caps in parallel, so if one or two are missing, it's not a problem. But if you just want to put something there for the peace of mind, generally 1-4.7 uF is used on the 12V rails and 1-10 uF on the low voltage rails (such as GPU V_core, RAM Vdd/Vddq, and etc.)

Personally, I've seen a GeForce 7600 GT that was missing a ton of those ceramic caps (the original owner used it for testing and always left it on his desk unprotected). It worked fine... or so until the Sacon FZ capacitors blew and took out the RAM.

The black "thing" with the "330 0n7pe" marks is a Tantalum capacitor. Given the marks, it should be 330 uF. Not sure what voltage, but probably 16V or less.

As for the video card drivers: I *never* use the latest one from the nVidia website, precisely because I've had this problem with their installation utility not detecting my video card properly and/or giving me BS errors. So typically what I do, is I look at when the video card was released (for the GTX 5x0 series, that's around 2010-2011, if I remember correctly) and then get drivers that are a year or so newer.

Please tell me you are not using one of those 3rd part driver updater utilities found everywhere on the internet. These things are terrible and will slow down your system quite a bit (or at least a few years back when multi-core CPUs were not the norm, this mattered... I suppose it's not that much of a big deal nowadays).
                        Thanks for clarifying. No not using any third party driver software, that was device manager assigning a driver from wherever (windows 10), ended up finding a older driver that works fine, had Infinite Warfare running last night at 720p normal textures for about 2 hours also done a few rounds of Unigine Valley, all seems fine.

I know the solder job isn't the best but rather than second guessing at a new Tantalum Capacitor thought it best to just get the original in place, the external legs are broken but contacts inside remain so at least it was salvageable.

Thanks again for everyone's help, another card saved

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                          This might help, as you can see C636 & C639 are not installed. Do you mean C590? should be the same value as C504
                          Yes C590 is the one that's been pulled off the board, the trouble was that I didn't know the values of the others without pulling them, all seems fine without it now anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to help, much appreciated

Comment

I know the solder job isn't the best but rather than second guessing at a new Tantalum Capacitor thought it best to just get the original in place, the external legs are broken but contacts inside remain so at least it was salvageable.
                            No worries. As long as it works, that's all that matters.

If the video card was in my possession, I would have done the same as you too. For one reason, Tantalum caps are very expensive. Also, they are not fragile like MLCC (multi-layer ceramic caps), so that's why it's okay to reuse them if their leads are still intact. But with ceramic caps, it's best NOT to reuse any that have been broken off, because they can develop cracks and short-circuit.

had Infinite Warfare running last night at 720p normal textures for about 2 hours also done a few rounds of Unigine Valley, all seems fine.
                            Check and/or log your in-game GPU temperatures. Something like MSI Afterburner or Riva Tuner should work for that. Make sure you're not going above 60°C under load, otherwise that GPU is destined to die sooner rather than. Some will say that the GeForce 500 series are not affected by the nVidia bumpgate issue (and they may be right), but I still see a ton of dead/non-working GeForce 4x0 GTX and 5x0 GTX for sale on eBay all the time. Same with many other high-end GPUs (especially ones with a single slot or undersized heatsink.)

So if you want to keep that video card working for longer, keep it cooled well (or as cool as you can - many of these video cards were not designed with properly-sized heatsinks, so it's impossible to keep them under 60°C. As a result, they last 3 to 5 years at most, on average). Riva Tuner allows you to manually override the fan speed on GPUs that have RPM control for the fans. I strongly suggest to turn up the fan speeds to as high as you go without getting annoyed too much by the noise. Of course, that's for 3D/gaming mode only. On desktop, you can leave the video card to manage the fan speed automatically.

No not using any third party driver software, that was device manager assigning a driver from wherever (windows 10)
                            Ah okay. It crossed my mind that it could be that, but I have zero experience with Windows 8 and 10, so I wasn't sure.
                            Last edited by momaka; 11-16-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X