Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got 4 LG L222WS 22" for free - psu recap

Got 4 CCFL 16/10 monitors for free.

The resolution is almost Full HD (1680x1050)

VGA Input only is a bummer though.

Uses cheap TN panel with terrible viewing angles.

Even though this is not 17" 5:4 screen, still has very low resell value here. Can be found for 15-20 euros.

All the 4 monitors were not working and needed psu recap. Used mix of mediocre / junk caps to recap them, then donated 3 of them to friends/relatives and kept 1 for myself. Also like to install extra caps on empty spaces to help them last longer.

After recap found that 1 of them had some kind of fw issue because it would mess up the colors every time I factory resetted monitor or went to menu to set colors to 6500K or similar mode. Found solution for this going to white balance option and setting it to yes to auto calibrate.

I also noticed that 1 of the 4 monitors had some weird image artifacts like faint burn in in the shape of 2 diagonal lines running all over the monitor.

Anyway, that's it for the repair of these monitors.

As always posting some pics before and after in case someone finds it handy in the future.
    Attached Files

Re: Got 4 LG L222WS 22" for free - psu recap

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
    The resolution is almost Full HD (1680x1050)
    ... which is better, IMO.
    I strongly prefer 16:10 monitors over 16:9... and 1650x1050 is a really good fit for a 22" screen - at least to my eyes (I don't like really high resolutions that make text appear super-small and hard to read.)

VGA Input only is a bummer though.
    Really? REALLY?!! Just ONE input?
    Damn these bean counters!

Used mix of mediocre / junk caps to recap them
    I love it!
    Great re-use of junk caps, and I like that you didn't "discriminate" against any one cap brand - just used whatever was available.

Actually, this would be a very interesting sort of "study" on bad cap brands to see how each one fares. Make sure to tell your friends and family to give you the monitors back if they fail for analysis (and possible 2nd... or is now 3rd go with more crap caps again? )

Also, we can take bets which brand could/may last the longest.

Uses cheap TN panel with terrible viewing angles.
    Describes my Westinghouse L2210NW perfectly.
    Over time, though, I've started to count the terrible viewing angle as a plus: I can be viewing pr0n or naughty images... but move 45 degrees or more from the side, and it's hard to tell what's on the screen at all. I even left it on with an image and went outside my house to see if I can see if anyone walking outside can tell what I'm looking at on my screen. The answer is: nothing. Total privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      ... which is better, IMO.
      I strongly prefer 16:10 monitors over 16:9... and 1650x1050 is a really good fit for a 22" screen - at least to my eyes (I don't like really high resolutions that make text appear super-small and hard to read.)
      Totally agree. On the other hand, I got used to Full HD eventually, but only on 23-24" monitors (like the ones I have at my job).

Now, if I had crazy amount of money, I would have a dual monitor setup with 2x 27" 1440P / 2560x1440.

I really find it pointless and stupid to have 4k resolution on a computer monitor. I also think that 2x27" is the upper limit of desktop area one can have before having serious issues with his neck or migraines.

While we are discussing this, I recently noticed more and more people buying these totally useless curved monitors. This makes me so sad and angry for here things are headed. Curved monitor should be called selfish monitor, since it is totally impossible to be used comfortably by more than 1 persons. I think they are more fragile as well, because I already got 2 for free with smashed panels. I am keeping those for parts

(I don't like really high resolutions that make text appear super-small and hard to read.)
      Windows scaling is terrible too

I love it!
      Great re-use of junk caps, and I like that you didn't "discriminate" against any one cap brand - just used whatever was available.

Actually, this would be a very interesting sort of "study" on bad cap brands to see how each one fares. Make sure to tell your friends and family to give you the monitors back if they fail for analysis (and possible 2nd... or is now 3rd go with more crap caps again? )

Also, we can take bets which brand could/may last the longest.
      Indeed. 1 of the monitors, the one with panel issues, one scratch and some weird shadows like burn in, I took it at where I work and use it as 3rd monitor, just for company chat application and some notes on notepad++.

Gets used more than 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday. It would be very interesting to see how long it lasts and what caps are going to fail first.

Of course, for the experiment to have greater value it would be good to crack it open sometime just to check the caps. After all it it stops working, we might not know what brand failed first

Comment

While we are discussing this, I recently noticed more and more people buying these totally useless curved monitors.
        Hey, I have some curved monitors! Well, in my case, they are curved the other way around, because... how to say it... CRT technology.
        Perfect viewing angle from anywhere, though.

I took it at where I work and use it as 3rd monitor, just for company chat application and some notes on notepad++.

Gets used more than 8 hours per day, Monday to Friday. It would be very interesting to see how long it lasts and what caps are going to fail first.

Of course, for the experiment to have greater value it would be good to crack it open sometime just to check the caps. After all it it stops working, we might not know what brand failed first
        Maybe cut the back plastic (and metal parts) off, then install an acrylic window? Perhaps even add funky LED strip in there too for some backglow (and to be able to better see the caps. )

Oh yeah, since I mentioned taking bets in my last post about which caps would last the longest, I put my money on Samwha followed by Fuhjyyu in 2nd... and possibly the Fuhyyu's doing a tie with the Su'scons (the replacement ones, that is.) CS caps are pretty terrible IMO, and will probably be among the first to fail... maybe along with the KME's. The Y.C. / planet logo will be somewhere in the middle, I think. But let's see. Hopefully you can keep us posted what happens.

Comment

Working...
        X