Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 Not powering on

Hi guys
    I picked this up at the local flea market together with a couple of other motherboards. I got one working so far (quite nice retro gaming board Asus P5PE-VM LGA775 with Core 2 support and AGP slot), and if I sell that it will more than cover the cost of all three so happy days.

So these others are mine to play with

The Asrock Z87 Extreme4 I don't have a compatible CPU to test it with, though I can get a LGA1150 Celeron or i3 cheap enough, so I will order one to test this and other 1150 motherboards in future, but basically right now, testing without a CPU, it will not power on.

I get 3.3V on the onboard power button which drops to 0V when I press the button so that looks fine. But the Power supply won't start.

If I ground the Power-On pin on the ATX connector it powers up and I have all supplies 3.3V, 5V, 12V inc the 8pin 12V to the CPU. I don't have any VCore but maybe that is normal with no CPU fitted?

But I would have expected the PSU to come on when I press the Power On button seeing as I have 5.5VSB and 3.3V present.

I already fitted a new CMOS battery the original one was flat.

Is there anything I can check here before I get a CPU?

Rich
    PS the third board I got is a GA-EP45C-UD3R. It has a low resistance on the 12V supply to the CPU and trips off the ATX supply so I'm looking at that now. It will power up with the 8 pin 12V unplugged. That could be another thread if I can't find the problem with the VRMs
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dicky96; 09-16-2019, 06:48 AM. Reason: add pics
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 Not powering on

In order to generate Vcore you need to have a processor installed as the motherboard needs to read the VID form the CPU.

Comment

Some boards will not power on without a CPU inside the socket. Not saying this is the case here, but I've already lost time trying to figure out a non-existant issue just because I assumed any board would turn on without CPU…

Try to grab schematics and/or boardview, it'll help in the troubleshooting process.
      If not available, at least get a datasheet or pinout for the SIO.

For the Gigabyte board, replace all high-side MOSFETs and their drivers and it should be good to go. If CPU VCore has low resistance to ground without CPU, low-sides will have to be replaced too.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks, I'll leave this one on the TO DO pile until I get a suitable CPU

I was wondering is it possible (or useful) to force Vcore on without a CPU by connecting some pull up resistors, or by grounding some of the VID pins on the controller chip, therefore presenting a valid 6 bit code?

Rich
        Last edited by dicky96; 09-17-2019, 04:01 AM.
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I'll put the GA-EP45C-UD3R on it's own thread
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

On older platforms you could do it since it was the old "VID" protocol with indeed just a 5-8 bits value to set on some pins of the VCore controller.
            On newer platforms, it is the "SVID" protocol, Serial VID, that is used. It's an Intel proprietary protocol to have a serial communication (with a data and a clock line, plus an "alert" interrupt line) between the CPU and the VCore controller. It's not possible to know what happens there, much less control it (would need to find a leaked spec of the protocol, they are under NDA, or reverse engineer it and have the proper hardware).

However, some VCore controller can be configured to output a default voltage when nothing is received on SVID. They'll typically be configured to output 0V on a production board, but if you can find the datasheet of the IC you may be able to locate a pull-up or pull-down to replace to output a default value of 1.1V for example.
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi guys
              I bought an i3-4150 so I can test this and other LGA1150 motherboards

With the CPU fitted it does power up - for a second - then powers down again. After a couple seconds it powers up again. This loop continues ad nauseum

It does the same thing with the 12V CPU power connector disconnected.

With the 12V connected I can see that I have +5V + 12V + 3.3V all coming up for a second

I can also see I have Vcore 1.75V or thereabouts for a second

The PS_ON pin to the ATX PSU is going 3.3V-0V-3.3V. I forced that on and motherboard stays powered up but does not boot. My POST diagnostics cards (I have two now) give FF on one of them and 0000 on the other

I tried clear CMOS
              I tried moving the jumper that says BIOS_SEL

All the above is with no RAM fitted but I did also try with 1x DDR3 in the first slot.

It doesn't make any difference.

This does look like the sort of thing that could happen with a corrupted BIOS but I would be surprised to have 2 corrupted BIOS chips. Still I thought I may as well try programming one of them

There are BIOS files on Asrock site for DOS, Windows and Instant Flash
              http://tw.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp...Z87%20Extreme4

But none of them contain a BIN or ROM file and when I try to run the Windows version on this PC as administrator it just flashed up a blank DOS box and that's it. I hoped it may let me create a BIN file.

Any idea what else could be causing the problem on this motherboard, or how to write the BIOS with TL866?
              Follow me on YouTube
              ------------------
              Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Ahh I spotted the most likely cause of the problem after posting

This board has BIOS V2.30 and the site says need at least V2.60 to support the new 4h generation intel core processors

So probably I just need a way to flash it
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I've flashed the BIOS chips with this file

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80275

I thought that may have fixed it, but it didn't

The motherboard is still powering on and off every couple of seconds

If I force the ATX power supply on then the motherboard powers up and stays up but it doesn't boot, POST card says 0000

Makes no difference if I have RAM fitted or not

Any suggestions?

Rich
                  Follow me on YouTube
                  ------------------
                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Datasheet for the SIO: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0fbd517d29.pdf
                    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi SMDFlea funnily enough I was just gonna post that myself :-)

OK so I spent a bit more time on this today

Vcore is coming up to 1.75V for a couple seconds then going off. same with 3.3V 5V 12V from the PSU

If I force the PSU on then Vcore still comes up to 1.75V every few seconds but interestingly the duty cycle is shorter, stay up for maybe 1 second not two. Obviously 3,3V, 5V, 12V stay up.

I checked all the LGA socket pins under my microscope, there was some debris on one of them and I cleaned it off, but it made no difference.

I also tried flexing the motherboard when powered on - no difference.

I have noticed a few interesting things. Holding the power button in for some seconds shuts the power supply down as you would expect. But keeping reset held down makes no difference, it keeps on cycling.

Removing both BIOS chips also has no effect on this power cycling either.

I did look a the datasheet of the SIO - Pins 15 (System Clock 24/48MHz) and 17 (PCI Clock 33MHz) don't have any clock pulses on them that I can see.

So it looks like I have a board with no clock - again!

Other than those pins I checked on the SIO (15, 17) is there some more I should be looking at?

I'm not sure which is the Clock Generator - it could be this one Asmedia ASM1083, but I can't find a datasheet.

I decided to think 'out of the box' a little, and it occurs to me that if a motherboard is faulty it is quite possibly (even likely?) to be damage to a component which has contact with the outside world - Ethernet controller, USB controller etc

Now this is possibly interesting - I had a feel around those chips when the board is powering on-off, and the ASM1074, which the datasheet says is a 4 Port USB3.0 controller, is getting noticeable hot to the touch after the board is powered up for a few seconds. Not hot like it would burn you, but it's definitely generating some heat, not just tepid..... and nothing else is.
                      Follow me on YouTube
                      ------------------
                      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I've just studied the SIO datasheet LPC section and hardware monitor features- seems like a lot of signals I could check there

I'll report back once I have

Thanks
                        Follow me on YouTube
                        ------------------
                        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I had this same problem.
                          1 - First, check that there is no short circuit on the motherboard.
                          2 - Reset CMOS.
                          3 - With the power supply installed, brutally connect the PS-ON to the GND (Jumper on pins 16 and 17).
                          In my case, it just worked like that.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Remove the v core ic and check for low resistance if resistance goes up as normal then change the v core it is a common problem in h81 b85 q87 mobo please try an let us know if it helped.

Comment

asrock z87 extreme has a very likely chance of bios problem due to Asrock website bios update causing bios failure.

if the CPU voltage is up, then u should check whether pcie X1 A11 pins has a reset signal. if yes, likely all voltages are fine. if not go check voltages like DDR, CPU VTT, CPUSA, etc ...if u need exact component to check the voltage, let me know.

Comment

Z87 Extreme4 does not power on.

Ok. I was asleep, woke to a alarm from my battery back up. Error F02. The genius that I am, I restarted the battery backup. My laptop brick melted. I thought that was the problem. I started my PCs, everything was fine.

My third PC with the Z87 Extreme4 board, did not turn on. I figured I had to just press the reset or power button on the board. The computer is "special." When i got it open, there were lights on. I didn't really notice the readout. Before I could see, I pressed the cmos clear button, instead of the smart reset or power button, by mistake. That's when I noticed the LEDs on the board went dead. I wasn't thinking, I was trying to figure out what caused the initial problem with the battery backup.

I've tried resetting the cmos with moving the jumpers, removing the battery, use the cmos clear button again. Nothing. I even replaced the power supply.

I did notice, I think before and after, replacing the power, I could hear a noise. At first, I thought it was my dog shaking, but then realized it was from the speakers. I can't explain the noise, but its like dull beeps that speed up then stop.

My only option is that the motherboard had electrical damage. But I wanted to see what others thought.

Comment

For the future you can try to pull down the signal SKTOCC# on the SIO to simulate the CPU present (means SOCket OCCupied) - but most of the vendors/boards do not implement this monitoring.

Check with a scope whether the chipset tries to read the BIOS (pin 2 of the BIOS chip). If not you may have a clock issue. Check all other VRM's like Anikin73 suggested, often the DDR4 0,6V is missing preventing board to go through the whole power cycle. You can also check the chipset clocks if they are working, scope probe directly to one of the crystal legs (only on one leg is possible to read something), but you need a very low capacitance/high input resistance scope/probe, otherwise the parasitic capacitance/resistance will lead to oscillator stopping to work. Usually only more advanced boads for overclocking have separate clock gens (eg. IDT...) , don't remember if your's have one, so normally the chipset generates the clocks.

Check all standby voltages and derivate power lines present.
                                  Check if SIO forwards the PSIN# signal to PSOUT#, then check if chipset asserts the SLP_S3# signal after PSOUT# activated, after this SIO should set PSON# and power supply should start.
                                  Look for a boardview (seems to be easily available) and a schematic / power sequence diagram for this or a similar board, and check where the power sequence stops.

Check board carefully for missing/ripped off components, had several such boards, which didn't startup correctly just due to missing, mainly resistors.
                                  Check board/chips for higher temperatures (in stanby), but if you already forced the power supply, check also in power forced state. Areas/chips with temperatures over 50-60 C are not normal any more. The chipset is usually the most warm chip (usually ca 55 C in working condition w/o radiator, in standby can be less).

BTW, forcing the power supply to startup with mobo connected is quite risky, I had boards which did not like this, what led to some serious demage. However usually they do not have a problem with this. On the other hand, a board which is somehow faulty and does not start correctly will never start and normally work when power is forced. In other words it will be a zombie. There is always a reason, why a broken board does not start.

Look also here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44779
                                  Last edited by DynaxSC; 12-12-2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

For asrock Z87 extreme. one of the likely suspect is RT8065ZQW PU9 chip. output is 1.05V . common problem for 4th gen asrock and asus board .
                                    have a board view to check its better.

Comment

I have the very same symptoms as dicky96 reported on an Asrock B85M-ITX.
                                      After some measurements it looks like I get only about 0.35V on the PU9 chip for half a second the system tries to power up. It is the same RT8065ZQW as mentioned from anikin73.
                                      The pin 8 (PGOOD) of this ic remains low.
                                      RT8065ZQW datasheet:
                                      HTML Code:
                                      This pin is an open drain logic output
                                      that is pulled to ground when the output voltage is not within
                                      +/-12.5% of regulation point.
                                      I will order the RT8065ZQW and report back. Hopefully I'm able to replace it without destroying anything else on the board...

Comment

RT8065ZQW (PU9) changed -> board back to life

I must mention, I also had to flash a good bios after this, like it had been corrupted from the dying regulator.

Comment

Working...
                                        X