This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Found this old Casio FP-6000 at the dumpster at work a few weeks back, just cleaned it up recently.

Unfortunately no monitor or keyboard, just the main box and a hard disk drive box. The disk drive, I believe is a MASSIVE 25MB, yes, 25MB, about 17 floppy disks worth of space. When I say MASSIVE, I mean physically, and nearly 35 years ago, it was probably massive storage space too.

Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe strip it out and put something with an Atom processor in it. As it is, it lights up and makes noises (not bad noises) when powered on.

I was impressed that the sticky tape was still stuck after all this time.

Also picked up a stack of hi-fi separates. The CD player had a David Bowie greatest hits CD inside, and both mini-disc players have disks with compositions that sound original. No frigging remotes though. All seem to work fine.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmcw; 10-18-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

dont strip that, a collector will probably buy it - put it on ebay

Comment

Scored some freebies:

Wii RVL-001 w/ box and accessories - doesn't boot into System Menu
        PSone SCPH-102 - burnt traces near CD drive lid switch, and corrosion - no picture or anything besides power led working
        A4Tech headphones - gutted, reused cable on my Genius HS-G500V headphones (which are pure gold)
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

A pair of 4-monitor (2x2) Ergotrons and a pair of dual monitor (1x2) stands.

And, a Sony PS "Wireless Stereo Headset" (chechya-0086). But, it appears to NOT be BT so it's already on it's way back... <frown> (I should have known better as there's no BT logo on the thing!)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            dont strip that, a collector will probably buy it - put it on ebay
            +1
            Certainly a museum piece worthy in this condition.

Comment

12 600G Raptor and 4 500G "Blue" (ick!) 2.5" SATAs.

And a PoE+ midspan injector.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                12 600G Raptor and 4 500G "Blue" (ick!) 2.5" SATAs.

And a PoE+ midspan injector.
                Nice score on the (veloci?)raptors. *drool*

Would make for wicked fast server storage if nothing else.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Nice score on the (veloci?)raptors. *drool*

I've got a computer with a 120GB 10K RPM Velociraptor. Haven't done anything serious with it yet, but I'm sure it'll be a screamer of a SATA II drive.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                    I've got a computer with a 120GB 10K RPM Velociraptor. Haven't done anything serious with it yet, but I'm sure it'll be a screamer of a SATA II drive.
                    I have some of them in service... Not as fast as a decent SSD, but still pretty spiffy, especially for the era.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have some of them in service... Not as fast as a decent SSD, but still pretty spiffy, especially for the era.
                      in a raid0 or raid10 on a good controller, they're pretty darn snappy!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        in a raid0 or raid10 on a good controller, they're pretty darn snappy!
                        Not not as much as 15K SAS drives... SSDs. SSDs can be RAID'd too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not not as much as 15K SAS drives... SSDs. SSDs can be RAID'd too.
                          Indeed......I actually did some benchmarks.... 15k 2.5" SAS in a raid0 was on par with a SSD....but we were talking about raptor.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I made my rounds today. Picked up the following:

2x (matching pair HW191A) hanns-g 19" monitors. Needed recapping....easy fixes.
                            1x Soyo 22" 16:10 monitor. Recapped, but still 2 seconds to black....not sure what's wrong with it.
                            1x Envision 19" 16:10, won't come out of standby, caps *appear* ok, albeit junk brands. Not sure what's wrong with it.
                            1x Beige a-open system with some P4 in it. Motherboard was hit by lightning, its not fixable, case is good.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Nice score on the (veloci?)raptors.
                              Yeah, lazy typing. 600G, SATA III, 10K.

Unfortunately, didn't come with 3.5" sleds so I have to use them in a 2.5" application -- probably put a couple in my T5220 and bring home a 2.5" shelf for the balance (experience says I'll be seeing more of them in the near future so can likely fill the rest of the shelf -- 24 drives?). Though the T5220 is probably a more effective use...

Comment

Unfortunately, didn't come with 3.5" sleds...
                                That's usually why I want them.... The ice trays are great for fitting a SSD into 3.5" hotswap bays.....or 2.5" SAS HDD's.... A SAS HDD will fit into the ice tray, the keying is the same internally (will work with standard SATA or SAS), and the external connection is a standard SATA keyway....so they eliminate the need for SAS adapters when using mini-SAS to SATA cables.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

That's usually why I want them.... The ice trays are great for fitting a SSD into 3.5" hotswap bays.....or 2.5" SAS HDD's.... A SAS HDD will fit into the ice tray, the keying is the same internally (will work with standard SATA or SAS), and the external connection is a standard SATA keyway....so they eliminate the need for SAS adapters when using mini-SAS to SATA cables.
                                  I see a growing number of servers now taking 2.5" native drives. So, I'll just wait until I find one (or a shelf) that is suitable for one of my needs. E.g., the "CPU" driving each of my NASs is typically a 1U server. I could replace with another 1U server that takes 2.5" media directly (presently, I PXE boot the OS/userland for the NASs from another server)

I'm heavily invested in 3.5" media. The MD1200 shelfs have (cheap, sheet-metal) adapters that let you mount a 2.5" drive in the 3.5" sled but I just pull them and set them aside for potential future use. Having to maintain two different media "sizes" -- in addition to different interfaces, etc. -- is just another dimension that I'd like to avoid ("Gee, I just need two more of these to fill out the shelf...")

Comment

Update on the Wii and the PSone. Both are dead - Wii will just power on and do nothing else after that (black screen) and PS1 won't even output anything on screen, just lights the power LED up.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

I see a growing number of servers now taking 2.5" native drives. So, I'll just wait until I find one (or a shelf) that is suitable for one of my needs. E.g., the "CPU" driving each of my NASs is typically a 1U server. I could replace with another 1U server that takes 2.5" media directly (presently, I PXE boot the OS/userland for the NASs from another server)

I'm heavily invested in 3.5" media. The MD1200 shelfs have (cheap, sheet-metal) adapters that let you mount a 2.5" drive in the 3.5" sled but I just pull them and set them aside for potential future use. Having to maintain two different media "sizes" -- in addition to different interfaces, etc. -- is just another dimension that I'd like to avoid ("Gee, I just need two more of these to fill out the shelf...")
                                      A lot of 3rd party companies also make 2.5" SAS/SATA cages that fit in 5.25" bays.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

A lot of 3rd party companies also make 2.5" SAS/SATA cages that fit in 5.25" bays.
                                        I've been moving to smaller "CPUs" in favor of outboarding the drives; put one or two drives in the "CPU" and let the rest reside outside it. So, the "CPU" ends up with a laptop optical drive and one or two 3.5" drive slots (e.g., often in a 1U case).

[My workstations still have three 5" bays but I use them for a pair of optical drives and a memory card reader; disk drives are in four internal 3.5" bays]

I routinely see 2U servers with 2.5" drives (usually arranged "on edge" as their width will fit in the 2U height of the enclosure). But, those servers tend to be DEEP (~28" front to back -- more when you allow for wiring connections at the rear!). I can sometimes find 1U servers that aren't as deep -- closer to 18", front to back. I can set these on the floor beneath my worktables and recess them enough that my legs/knees don't interfere with them.

Attached pic of one of my NASs (there's one under each of the three work tables): a 1U CPU driving three DASs. Note that the CPU doesn't have any externally accessible drives (I PXE boot the OS and userland) but other 1U servers might have one or two removable 3.5" drives located side-by-side to the right of the DVD.

[The black tubular upright between the Z800 and the NAS is the (folding) leg of that worktable. NAS operates headless but keyboard stored on it lets me "blind type" console commands, if necessary]

I have an old PE840 with a 4 slot SAS/SATA drive cage that I can swap out with a 4 slot SCA drive cage. That would be a great place for a 2.5" drive cage option (presently, I deal with 2.5" drives using a three-slot external USB3 dock... not ideal but "serviceable"!)
                                        Attached Files

Comment

55" LED Visio "Smart TV" -- sound but no picture (yet backlight!).

One of the cables to TCON had partially worked it's way loose. Sure would be nice if ALL repairs were that easy!

(Now to find a place for it...)

Comment

Working...
                                          X