DVD interference on old TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD interference on old TV

I just recapped an old 12" Zenith B&W TV I had sitting around in the basement. (Why? Because I like to watch Doctor Who in the way it was meant to be viewed ;-) Besides, it's somewhat nostalgic since my parents didn't get a color set until 1981 - before that it was the old Motorola my Mom bought off the assembly line where she worked when they used to make TVs here in Chicago.)

Anyway, the picture is nice and sharp now. However, when I set it atop my Lasonic DVD player, I get diagonal interference lines in the picture. Is this typical? I don't know if TVs made before the 'age of DVD' didn't have adequate shielding because this sort of thing wasn't a problem back then or if something else is the problem. I'm not a EE some I'm hoping perchance someone know a thing or two about this.

FYI, I had to patch the DVD through an old Zenith VCR (80s vintage I bought from a pawn shop when at the Infantry school during the first Gulf War) because it does not have RCA inputs. So RCA plugs into the VCR and then antenna cable to the TV.

I did solder a largish .1 uF/250V class X suppression cap across the input AC line just because I had an extra and there was nothing of the sort there (even my 1979 Sony portable cassette/radio has these).

Re: DVD interference on old TV

I recommend you take this question over to the Audiokarma.org forums, post it in the Rectangular Tube and Solid State section. They are dedicated to vintage TV's just like yours, and they will probably be able to help you with it.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Comment

I think you need an actual RF converter.
      Converts the RCA into a standard RF signal like from an antenna.
      -
      I'm thinking the one in that VCR is only intended to convert color signals.

I bought a single input one a couple months ago at Best Buy for around $10.

It replaced a 'fancy' $25? one that auto-switched between inputs.
      Unfortunately it would auto-switch to things that weren't turn on (and 'get stuck' there) in the middle of movies which was really annoying. I'd have to pull the plug and 'reboot' it to get it to switch back where it was supposed to be.
      -
      Point is, if you choose one with multiple inputs get one with a MANUAL switch for the input selector.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Thanks for the help. I appreciate your time.

Comment

Working...
        X