DVD/VCR Combo Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD/VCR Combo Unit

Just a question before I buy a new one. I have a JVC model HR-XVC26U. The DVD drive in it is almost dead. Where can I by a new DVD drive for it. I took a look in it yesterday and the drive is a plastic vantastic POS. It may be part of a cheap PC drive made by JVC but I don't have any idea which one it would be. Is it even worth it to fix it? I can get another new junk unit at walmart for less than $80.00.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: DVD/VCR Combo Unit

I'll reply to my own post! My friend has the exact same unit with a pile of DVD's loaded at the same time by a four year old. I guess I'll unload that unit and try it because its free. If its busted too there just might be enough DVD drive parts to fix mine. I hate junk made in China!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Comment

If the laser is not reading well, it is probably dirty. If dirt is not the problem, sometimes you can turn up the current adjustment pot on the laser just a tiny hair, and it will work again.

This makes me want to dig up my old Luxman CD player and get it running again. Would make a good Ebay piece if I can get it to work. Then again, even higher end CD players are all but worthless these days.

Comment

No this drive has a simple problem. The tray loads, but it fails to kick the spindle. A micro switch isn't doing what it should. The drive is made of hermeticicaily sealed plastic so its very hard to fix. I have a good part number for buying a new DVD drive for it. This POS costs $80 bucks! I only gave $65 for the unit when brand new! This is just another POS from China that needs to die. Now the other unit just like this one that the four year old put a pile of disks in the tray at the sametime I just may save. Its easy to remove the cover, and backside unload any player. Beer is Good!
        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Just send me that Luxman. It will be fixed Mate!
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

The worst part is, It's probably all banged up by now, being stored under the shelves at work for years. I don't remember the model number, but it starts with a D-something I think. Maybe D-380? I'll have to dig it out tomorrow.

It has a silver front panel and a really big disc tray that has the entire drive mechanism in it. It doesn't read most discs, and back when I was a dumb kid I messed with some adjustment pots

Comment

Got it out, it's a D-405. Still looks pretty good too. Another project to add to my list

Comment

Yes I had one of the first Pioneer Home CD players in my system. It always worked. Everytime that I looked into upgrading this old unit the specs of the newer ones didn't even come close to matching my old dog. At the time I worked at my buddy's auto bodyshop, and the CD player on the shop system died so I took the old Pioneer to work. It lasted all of a month and the sanding dust killed it too. I put it in the trash bin. I bet a good blowing out with canned air would have fixed it up.
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                X