Black spots on dell e172fpb LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black spots on dell e172fpb LCD

We're not talking dead or stuck pixels here, we're talking 2 huge black round spots maybe 1 inch in diameter in the top left and top right corners if the display. Any ideas?

Re: Black spots on dell e172fpb LCD

None at all, could you take a picture of it?

And I take it this will be the same no matter what PC it is connected to, or can you get it to display a test picture with no cable connected at all?
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Even disconnected from any PC it's the same.

Left corner:

Right corner:

Left corner with the test screen on it:

It's literally just these 2 black dead spots that show up as black circles no matter what is displayed there, or what angle the screen is at.

Comment

looks like something hit those spots.
        maybe someone grabbed it to pick it up and mashed in the corners with thumbs.

Comment

Is there any way to repair it if that's the case, short of replacing the screen?

Comment

In a word, no.

It seems a little unusual its so round though, normally when people rough handle TFT the fracture[s] are more irregular than that. It looks like somethings been stood on or dropped onto it intentionally.
            Last edited by Harvey; 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM.

Comment

It looks like someone put a coffee mug on it or something or the monitor fell over and hit something round.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I've got a similar problem with my monitor - but I'm sure that nothing at all has banged against it.

I'm wondering if it is condensation? * The central heating has broken down & so it is cold here & has been for nearly two weeks now (big aww of sympathy please). My spots started to appear last Sunday & grew quickly - though they seem to have stopped growing in size (I really hope they don't get too big) Also it looks like I have a baby spot growing next to the lowest one.

They look a little like eclipses. If you press on the spots, stray black pixels sort of squeeze out, but then go back into the main round mass.

I'm hoping that when things warm up again, that they vanish.

What does anyone reckon?

The dreaded black spots or eclipses:

----------
                * condensation or one of the cats decided to spray the monitor in two places - yuck yuck.
                Last edited by Karlibooz; 02-01-2008, 08:16 PM. Reason: to add photo of black spots

Comment

Just realised that I've posted in the wrong place -SORRY. The photo is of my lcd pc monitor & not of a tv - however, it does look like Yoshi & I have the same problem. Fortunately, mine is not such a big problem as Yoshi's & I can still use my screen.

Comment

When I used to work on LCD projectors I saw this alot it was due to the organic compounds in the LCD panel breaking down due to UV light and high heat.

This circle pattern was always there.

It looks like the TFTs aren't responding thats why you are getting black maybe moisture has migrated into those spots or the panel froze at some point destroying those areas.

This is only speculation the only confirmed cases of LCD failure I've seen are on old LCD projectors as mentioned above.

Dell isn't known for their high quality LCDs.

Just look what happened when they tried to make the W1700 TV .

They don't even make them anymore.
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-01-2008, 10:39 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

It also wouldn't hurt to try unplugging and replugging the cable from the video board to the LCD it could be an intermittant contact problem.

Getting into those Dell LCDs is a real PITA they don't use screws on the plastic casing.

First remove the stands 4 screws and pull the stand off.

The casing is held together with clips around the perimeter. I used the bottle opener on my swiss army knife I put it through the ventilation slits to press the visible tabs outward while gently prying the cover off clip by clip.

Of course the casing clips together easily on reassembly.

Thats clip together cases for you easy to assemble a PITA to disassemble.

Comment

Working...
                      X