Sharp LCD TV with good caps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LCD TV with good caps!

Just took apart a Sharp Sharp LC-15AV6U LCD TV to fix the broken cable connector, and it has all Rubycon and UCC caps. I was quite suprised, given the reputation of LCD sets to be cheaply made.

Though the case is still quite cheap... The LCD panel and boards are just sitting in the front bezel and are secured only by the back panel.

Here is a pic of the power supply board.
    Attached Files

Re: Sharp LCD TV with good caps!

I don't like the look of those multi-way connectors.... its asking for trouble.

Comment

Those are where the main controller board plugs in. They seem reasonably solid. In fact the lead free solder is what bothers me most.

Comment

Yeah my Infocus X3 projector ballast / power supply circa 2005 that I just recapped had PB Free on the PCB all of the solder joints were dull from what I've read this is normal for non-leaded solders.

The PSU can handle from 90-260 VAC so I guess for it to ship to countries that are members of the EU they had no choice but to comply with ROHS.

I have read that non-leaded solders can form "tin whiskers" which are very small "whisters of tin" that can jump IC legs and connect anything in their path together and cause problems.

Thats my main issue with non-leaded solders.

Wow so a company finally has the right idea to use high quality caps.

Most crap caps will usually survive in low temp - low load conditions like signal coupling and the like but they won't last if they have to work hard.

High temperature areas like the inside of LCDs aren't the place for crap caps and the heat will definitely bring out the crap caps quick.

I guess they got sick of having to deal with RMAs .
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
        X