bad caps in plasma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad caps in plasma

hello... like to say cool site... anyway ive been into electronics for years, solering all the time is a hobby for me.. i recently purchased a plasma monitor that was faulty. i think ive traced the fault to 6 electrolytic caps , the problem is im finding it hard to get my hands on replacements. the caps are 150uf 220v. made by nichicon.
    does anyone know if i can replace with a similar cap or does it have to be the exact same?. i can get similar caps that are 400v. would they be ok. plusdo caps come in ac and dc?... thats got me.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. im sure ile be helping otheres out in the near future...... cheers.

Re: bad caps in plasma

Well, post pic`s or some type numbers from your bad capacitors and i am sure we can get you some advise.

Generally, you can always use higher voltage capacitors, as long as there is the place and the spacing of the terminals is right.

Comment

hi and thanks for the reply....there just normal electrolytic capacitors made by nichicon. they have wrote on them. 150uf 220v rz(m) 105c size is 25mm high20mm round 12mm pin to pin, roughly... i can get hold of the same buy 400v. plus some used ones out of pc power pack but there 330uf 200v.. any help is appreciated... thanks..

Comment

Unless the caps in question are in parallel I wouldn't stray from the original value of 150uf.

That series of Nichicon caps are general purpose however they are listed as small and compact.

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...60ac83246f.pdf
        Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-05-2008, 07:30 PM.
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

hi. unfortunately im in the uk....i can get my hands on 400v and 200v. im not sure if they will fit thoe. ile keep looking. well i wish i knew sum1 in the us..

Comment

hi, theres 6 caps all in all i think they are parrallel. they all connect to the same track on the pcb. does this mean i could change the uf maybe?....

Comment

If you are in UK go to Farnell Electronics they will deliver.

150uFd 250V found here: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/bro...questid=333636
              Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
              Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
              160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
              Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
              160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
              Samsung 18x DVD writer
              Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
              33 way card reader
              Windows XP Pro SP3
              Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
              17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
              HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

i looked there before, when i updated stock it said they wouldent be in until july. ile give it a go and register with them. they cost 35.95 and im not sure yet how much shipping will be. seems a bit dear. dont you think?...

Comment

Originally posted by wozmoz
                  i looked there before, when i updated stock it said they wouldent be in until july. ile give it a go and register with them. they cost 35.95 and im not sure yet how much shipping will be. seems a bit dear. dont you think?...
                  Yes 35.95 is dear. But looking at the item price of 2.55 each that is only 15.30 for six.

There is no indicate on that stock page that they are not a stock item. ie in stock

If you find the equivalent in RS Electronics , yes they are out of stock.
                  Last edited by davmax; 03-06-2008, 01:01 AM.
                  Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                  Samsung 18x DVD writer
                  33 way card reader
                  Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

hello. nearly oredered them but realised they will be to high off the board, i needed 20mm in height... ile have to put the plasma back together and see if theres a gap big enough for the caps. ile get back to you... cheers.....

Comment

ps. dont know why i said they was 25mm high, must of been all the exitment of finding this site........

Comment

RSonline only carries some GP 85°c ones with that length. As the 105°c ones are already bad, i think a 85° rated capacitor would no make a very good replacement. May be you can get the parts from a specialized spare part service.

Comment

Unfortunately caps from Farnell are all 31.5mm high.

United Chemicon caps at Digikey look best buy, long life at 105C and available. But 25mm only. 20mm is very hard to find.

Digikey link: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...250V&x=22&y=14
                          Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                          Samsung 18x DVD writer
                          33 way card reader
                          Windows XP Pro SP3

Comment

Try Panasonic on Digikey they should have a series that will fit.
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                            X