This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Back again. Not so interesting,but I got a pendrive shaped MP3 player and a 12m CAT5 Ethernet cable. The former works,just needed a R03UG 1.5v AAA battery,and the latter works after cutting wires and twisting them together (8 wires) and then isolating it up with duct tape. I think I added a meter or two to it now
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Went to a thrift store with a 75% off day. Grabbed:

-Cheapo Sony HTIB subwoofer for $2.50, works alright but nothing exceptional. Good enough for the garage.
      -Sony SLV-N81 VCR for $3.
      -Older Ecko can opener (one of the ones that cuts insanely clean) for $0.50
      -Tokina made Vivitar 35mm f/2.8 M42 lens for $2.50.

Comment

More stuff:

WDC WD3200JS-22PDB0 320GB SATA II drive - anybody know how to clone my Windows install from my 1TB drive to it?
        PS2 Slim SCPH-77004a 7A
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
          More stuff:

WDC WD3200JS-22PDB0 320GB SATA II drive - anybody know how to clone my Windows install from my 1TB drive to it?
          PS2 Slim SCPH-77004a 7A
          http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
          http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Very helpful programs for working with disks and partitions. Not sure if either support going smaller but you might be able to figure out with one of those.

Comment

you need to defrag your drive, and then reduce the partition size to under 310meg
            then clone the drive across,
            then expand the partition to fill the new disk.

Comment

just to add, you cant do it if you have a UEFI bios.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

The best that I found in a dumpster are as follows:

- 1x MetCal soldering station with 3x replacement wands and a box of brand new soldering iron tips.
                - A 21" Samsung DVI computer display
                - Linksys 8port network switches with power supplies
                - A Halo Edition Xbox 360! (Broken -- RROD, looks like a previous repair job went south).
                - 32GB of DDR3 SO-DIMMs
                -Thomas
                I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Scored a few items for £25 at boot sale

Wii fit board and two games - working leaky battery
                  Abstract gladiator 1ce revolution lights - powers up needs attention
                  Abstract futurescan 1ce lights - power up needs attention
                  Pulsar 3 channel modulator - Unknown looks old / rusty
                  beyerdynamic Zas 500 signal splitter - no ac cord but ordered one. Looks mint untampered
                  2 X HD Freesat smart boxes boxed and working fine
                  velbon vga-3c aluminium tripod - perfect for £1
                  All halo games on 360
                  Netgear wnd2100 wifi n router and dongle combo - no adapter but should work fine. Same seller as freesat boxes

Quite pleased, I haven't been to boot sale in years but was fun.

My brother in law got two bargains

£0.20p for a pin thing. Turns out its 10k solid gold. - http://m.ebay.com/itm/10K-Yellow-Gol...496?nav=SEARCH

Good year tyres 5 year pin gold

And 50p on a lighter which turned out to be a vintage one worth about £40

Comment

your lucky, a lot of those sales are being closed down by control-freak local councils.

i used to go to 2 every week, now they are all gone in my area.
                    best find i had (probably) was a 3 channel 100mhz scope (faulty) £20

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      just to add, you cant do it if you have a UEFI bios.
                      Motherboard is pre-UEFI era. It's still using Award BIOS
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Just an update to my previous post,I've finally cloned the 1TB drive to the 320GB HDD. I searched internet up and down,and tried DOS/Linux tools mainly,without success. I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD and it worked. In fact,all it did was a 1:1 copy of my Windows 7 install. Now I have to defrag it though,might find a day to do so.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

House water got shut off so walked down to get a case of water from the store. On the way back happened across two boxes beside a dumpster.

Box 1 has the remains of some Toshita Pentium 4-era laptop (motherboard and bottom casing) and two Cisco 7940 IP phones (Asterisk compatible, one power cord though).

Box 2 has a Jetway V2MDMP, Jetway P4XFCP, FIC AV31, FIC AM37, IBM port replicator for the T30 and such and a bunch of useless 2002ish Netopia modems that'll go straight to the ewaste.

Comment

modems are often a good source of eprom-compatable flash chips.

Comment

These here have some flash chip I can't identify - Sharp LH28F320JE-POTL90 SMT chips.

At least I assume that's the flash, it's the right rectangle shape with the pins on the short end and the only other ICs are the DSL processor, the Motorola PowerQUICC 857T, some ram, the ethernet IC and a Lattice PLD.

Comment

4meg 5v flash 90ns
                                i would also pull the ram and any pld's

Comment

Crap day at boot sale this morning, everything was just waste. Well until the last moment when we were about to leave and scored a Columbia viva tonal gramophone 100 and a bunch of gramophone records for a fiver. It's it's good nic and works but is missing the wind up mechanism, but we got the sellers number and said he's got it at home so hopefully should pick up shortly. Cool piece of kit

http://youtu.be/gk7Ib5EJ9OM
                                  Last edited by mikay786; 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Free pair of ATH-M30x headphones with carrying bag but a broken connector. Turns out a soldering joint broke off so I'll fix that when I get home this weekend, for now I just stuck the wire through the hole and wrapped around.

The person I got these from had fixed it once before and decided to get another pair rather than fixing.

Comment

Got a Syntax SV266A (KT266A chipset,it's an ECS K7VTA2 from the pics but it uses a modified K7VTA3 BIOS with their logo which looks cool) with a Athlon XP 2200+ in it.

It's one of those SDR+DDR transition time board.

Caps:
                                      3x OST RLX 4700uF 6.3v (it's the first time I've seen this kind of caps on a MB)
                                      6x OST RLX 3300uF 6.3v

I tried flashing the K7VTA3 6.0 BIOS but it seems that it doesn't work (black screen,even though BIOS string is the same as the Syntax BIOS) though I think that's down to the flash chip being incompatible with my board (Atmel AT49F002NT,the other one used being a SST 49LF004B)

Currently installing Windows 98 SE and will try to flash the Atmel.

Not a biggie since Uniflash 2.0 RC1 (I have it,it's a 2010 build) can flash 2MB .BINs on 4MB chips,so I can flash my K7N2's BIOS on the 4MB chip and use the Winbond it has on the Syntax.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Not really "free" in the sense of I paid with labour, but got a Homelite HG600 (Yamaha EF600 rebadge) generator, pair of jack stands, 2 bottle jacks, Lafayette 835 portable reel to reel and a Akai 4000DS Mk II reel to reel.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                                          Was just given a Hisense Sero 7 Pro tablet with cracked glass touch screen. The damage is mostly on the lower right corner and it still works fine. There is one crack running up the right side but you don't even see that crack when it's on and no sharp edges to slice fingers on. I might fill the corner where the major damage is with epoxy just to seal and cover the chipped out spot.
                                          Bad news on the Sero 7 Pro tablet. While I was shopping for the glass screen, which has since cracked much more due to the kid(s) dropping it, the USB charger port, that was being flakey finally crapped the bed. I ordered a replacement connector for that. I got the wrong one, so I ordered two of the correct part.

As it turns out this particular connector replacement does not seem possible to do with the tiniest conical-pinpoint soldering tip I've got. The connector shell tabs are thru-hole and easy to solder, however the pins on back of connector are apparently to be surface-soldered and do not protrude past the metal cross-piece of the shell running directly above the pins. There is also insufficient clearance between the pins to solder them without bridging solder across them. Combined with two torn up pads and traces for pins which caused the original flakiness and failure of the charge port it made it very difficult-to-impossible to get proper soldered connections. To make matters worse, in my efforts to clean up the solder bridges I inadvertently dislodged three adjacent micro SMD parts and I lost two of them. I have no idea what they are nor their orientation. I also have no tools for properly dealing with SMD parts of this size, they are too small for a soldering my iron tip. Probably need infrared or hot air (?) I'm not experienced a lot with SMD repair (I'm an OLD school, retired tech.) I'm going to have to chalk this up to needing a new motherboard.

Therein lies the problem. I can't find a NEW motherboard for the M470BSA, all I can locate are used, salvaged, not guaranteed to work, as-is, blah blah blah boards. so the project is reluctantly tabled until a known-working board becomes available.

Comment

Working...
                                          X