Philips BDL4221 Speakers too loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips BDL4221 Speakers too loud

I figure this is the best place to ask this...

Have a Philips BDL4221 monitor, thrown out at work, but it doesn't have the speakers. On the back of the monitor, there are hi-fi speaker connectors, the black and red springy connectors for left and right.

I have a couple of speakers from a mini-hifi that I connected up, and while the sound is awesome, it's way too loud, at 0 and 1 there is no sound at all, go to 2 and it's very loud, and it does increase up after that. If I was using it for anything else, I might be able to lower the volume on any other box going into the monitor, but I've only been using it with a Dreamcast (monitor in TATE mode, through a VGA box), and the DC doesn't have any volume control.

Any cheap and quick ways to lower the volume, maybe some components on the wire from the speaker?
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 02-23-2022, 06:02 AM. Reason: Philips BDL4221

Re: Philips BDL4221 Speakers too loud

Just to add to the info, the speakers are JVC SP-UXLP5, with power handling capacity of 35W, and 6 ohm impedance.

According to the specs for the monitor, they originally came with "2 x 10 W RMS Speakers".

Do I risk damaging the audio output of the monitor using these speakers?

Comment

Re: Philips BDL4221 Speakers too loud

Looks like there is integrated amplifier on this monitor/TV set.

Try to find the specs, especially the minimum ohms supported.

Thought, I don't think 6ohms speakers would be bad in case monitor supports 8ohm speakers.

Anyway, don't connect 4ohm speakers unless officially stated they are supported.

About the volume issue, could be something wrong with the amp or a terrible mismatch of the new speakers with the old ones (sensitivity, etc) but I think this is not the case

Comment

Working...
      X