Dell refurbishing "oops" on GX620 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell refurbishing "oops" on GX620 motherboard

I order a lot of Dell refurbished monitors. Many of these have had caps replaced in the power supplies. I see them using Panasonic 90% of the time. The soldering work isn't pretty, but it's functional.

I don't usually get refurb desktop boards from Dell. I get lots of laptop boards, but they usually lack electrolytic capacitors.

I've never seen any component come from Dell with tape saying it's been factory tested. New or refurbished, the parts usually just come in a plain brown box and an antistatic bag. It doesn't normally indicate whether the part is new or refurbished, and sometimes it can be hard to tell. This only applies to components, I've seen Dell systems with refurbished/tested stickers.
    Last edited by yyonline; 04-13-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
      I order a lot of Dell refurbished monitors. Many of these have had caps replaced in the power supplies. I see them using Panasonic 90% of the time. The soldering work isn't pretty, but it's functional.

I don't usually get refurb desktop boards from Dell. I get lots of laptop boards, but they usually lack electrolytic capacitors.

I've never seen any component come from Dell with tape saying it's been factory tested. New or refurbished, the parts usually just come in a plain brown box and an antistatic bag. It doesn't normally indicate whether the part is new or refurbished, and sometimes it can be hard to tell. This only applies to components, I've seen Dell systems with refurbished/tested stickers.
      After recapping about 150 of these boards myself, it's easy to spot refurbs when it comes to motherboards. You pick up on subtle details here and there. In the case of desktop motherboards however, the easiest way to tell is that they apply a new sticker with the serial number on the board itself. Another way to tell is by comparing the date codes on caps. Most of the time, only the "problem area" caps are replaced, no doubt as a way to make the board last just until the warranty runs out (plus it's cheaper to use less caps, the common IT tech wouldn't know the difference).

I will say this though. The very last batch of board's I've RMA'ed have come with every single cap including and abouve 820uf 6.3 v replaced with brand new Panasonic caps. They must change 3rd party refurb companies twice a month.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
        ...you twit...
        Wait a minute there Haas.....who's that aimed at>?! ...and how did I miss that one Red Rider?!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Aimed at RD jumping on Dell for the sake of it.
          Some have called me Hoss (not hass) cause I ride one but who the F* is Red Rider?

May under the -extended- warranty Dell has no warranty coverage through Intel and farms the job out to Wang Duck Foe.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Some have called me Hoss (not hass) cause I ride one but who the F* is Red Rider?
            I've seen "Hoss" spelled a million different ways....such as Hass, Haus, and even horse.....but you are correct, "hoss" appears to be the correct spelling: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0036915/

...and this is the red rider:
            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025706/

I guess I'm on a western kick today.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Aimed at RD jumping on Dell for the sake of it.

May under the -extended- warranty Dell has no warranty coverage through Intel and farms the job out to Wang Duck Foe.
              are you sure? it seemed to be pointed tc's way...

i know dell refurbs are crap half the time... so i wasn't surprised... so are you now a dell fanboy?
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                so are you now a dell fanboy?
                Yes because I get mo $$ to fix'em. Which means no for my own stuff.
                Dell doesn't pick the caps that go on them so blaming Dell is ignorant & BS.

You KNOW it's you I love RD.
                Especially when you wear your cute little Red Rider outfit.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-14-2011, 12:23 AM.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  ...and this is the red rider:
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025706/

I guess I'm on a western kick today.
                  LOL.
                  I don't remember the movie but I do remember a popular kids BB-gun called that.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Yes because I get mo $$ to fix'em. Which means no for my own stuff.
                    Dell doesn't pick the caps that go on them so blaming Dell is ignorant & BS.

You KNOW it's you I love RD.
                    Especially when you wear your cute little Red Rider outfit.

I don't know... you live out west, not me. perhaps that was you as a kid.

Why not blame dell? they should have used more oversight on what was getting their logo.
                    sigpic

Comment

Actually when I was that age I lived in Maryland and Virginia.
                      Had a horse then too but I was already upgraded to real guns by age 9.

Well then we should obviously blame HP and Apple for the whole HM/HN fiasco too then huh..

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

I can't see how you thought the comment was directed to you TC, I picked it up instantly and English is not even my native tongue

In all seriousness this is kinda surprising, you would think Dell would be a little more careful about who they outsource this to.
                        I mean you have to go through all kind of hoops before Dell even admits capacitors being faulty and allowing you to send in your board for repair under warranty.
                        If I where their customer I would never ever touch Dell again if the refurbed boards capacitors failed aswell!

I am however, just like PCBONEZ eternally thankful for the shoddy work that Dell does, it means more income and free stuff for me!
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...12&postcount=4

Comment

I've seen the same on a few Intel boards. They looked genuine (font, vent, sleeve) aside from the cheapo circle bung. The ones I ran into were extra tall 820uF caps as well. I wonder if the custom size had something to do with the cheapo bung:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...74&postcount=7

The caps the original poster ran into are suspicious in more than one way, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              I can't see how you thought the comment was directed to you TC..
                              I could tell that it wasn't aimed at me......hahaha I figured it was Ratdude or the OP....I had to give a humorous ribbing regardless.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

I could tell that it wasn't aimed at me......hahaha I figured it was Ratdude or the OP....I had to give a humorous ribbing regardless.
                                Haha, okay, I guess I need to hone my sarcasm skills a bit further
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Could these caps possibly not be fakes? I'm gonna out them in a display case and put them up on my wall! These are awesome!

Comment

Yeah I doubt Dell has a clue about who exactly their "certified refurbishers" are. They probably just get which ever is cheapest...

Comment

I think that if i am in the thread, 4 times out of 5 he aims at me... we have 2 completely different philosophies on general things and so we never agree.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Well then we should obviously blame HP and Apple for the whole HM/HN fiasco too then huh..

they had no way of knowing. it was a genuine defect. there is a difference between good products with unknown defects and outright fraud by the manufacturer. dell/Intel should have made sure they wwere using genuine parts. the bad nichicons were genuine nichicon, so HP and apple had no way of knowing in advance that a design defect was going to suddenly appear. however, fake caps are not genuine and so dell should have verified that correct parts were in use.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                          they had no way of knowing. it was a genuine defect. there is a difference between good products with unknown defects and outright fraud by the manufacturer. dell/Intel should have made sure they wwere using genuine parts. the bad nichicons were genuine nichicon, so HP and apple had no way of knowing in advance that a design defect was going to suddenly appear. however, fake caps are not genuine and so dell should have verified that correct parts were in use.
                                          Dell certainly had no reason to believe these were fakes.
                                          Dell is who you jumped on blaming for it.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X